Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Meta V4, any one got a pic of an XL size??
  • mark_rich
    Free Member

Considering a commencal meta AM v4, prob need an xl at 6’3″ but wondering what they look like.
    Not sure when I google it if I’m looking at a L or XL, hard to tell.
    Cheers.

arogers
    Free Member

dl=0Meta V4 XL

That’s the best I’ve got at the moment. I can do you more if needed.

Ali

mark_rich
    Free Member

Cheers Ali, looks smart, I’m always a bit worried when going the xl, some look crap.
    How tall are you and how are u finding it?
    I’d prefer the xl length and L size seat tube but I can’t have everything.
    It’s either one of these or a canyon strive, but it’s a long wait for a strive!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’d prefer the xl length and L size seat tube but I can’t have everything.
    It’s either one of these or a canyon strive, but it’s a long wait for a strive!

Mondraker Foxy/Dune size large? Apparently the bearings are better this year.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Tom, I will look at mondraker, look a great bike but a direct buy from commencal or YT look a lot more appealing with the current exchange rates. Not sure if the canyon can be ordered in euros though, something I’m trying to find out.
    Cheers.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well, if you want a longer top tube and a shorter seat tube the Mondy’s are a no brainer IMO.

I don’t think they don’t do an XL YT Capra. 🙁 Supposedly it is in the pipeline but in aluminum only, if you are willing to wait.

arogers
    Free Member

No problem Mark. I was looking at the same bikes as you and also decided I couldn’t wait for a Canyon. The Foxy was tempting as far as the frame but I needed a full build and they’ve made some horrible component choices for that bike IMO. YT just not big enough. I’m still wondering if I should have gone for a base model Spectral and upgraded things though.

I’m just shy of 6’2 and glad I went for the XL. I was worried about ST length too but it hasn’t been a problem at all. The geo is great and I’ve been very impressed with the all round capabilities of the bike. Coming from a Nomad C, the Meta is not as stiff, sadly, but actually faster on the ups and more fun and lively on the downs. Suspension is a match for the Nomad (i.e. v.v. good) except that there’s no room for a Cane Creek shock, which I think would make it exceptional. I don’t think there’s a better performing fork out there on a £1600 bike than the Marz, though I fear reliability issues. I upgraded the brakes straight away, so not sure about those. 1x drivetrain is ideal for me but ridiculous that the bike doesn’t come with a chain guide. The wheels seem to be made of cheese – front lasted 3 miles, rear about 50. Apart from the wheels, I’m very happy with it.

tomaso
    Free Member

When you are web showroom viewing bikes manufacturers only present photographs of 18 inch middle size bikes and never those at either end of the size spectrum.

If you study the geometry you get a mental picture but its not the same.

The Canyon Spectral looks good, but the XL has a huge 170mm headtube.

Have you had a look at the Giant Reign? The base model is decent spec and the compromises are ok but not way off like the Mondrakers.

Also have a look at French and German websites as the euro exchange rate change since prices were set has made for quite a gulf between UK and Euro prices. Giant Reign is £2199 here and can be had for €2299 which translates to £1700.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Cheers Ali for the info, I like the sound of it, just had MBR land on my step today with the V4 review in it, not bad but mentions the wide chainstays, which i’ve read somewhere else as well, do u find them a problem?

I had an old meta 6 a few years back, wheels were utter crap on them too, i think the full v4 range seems to sport the same wheels, I begin to wonder if its worth pricing a frame only option and doing a self build, pikes, monarch plus shock etc all at great prices from alltricks or bikediscount.de

Tomaso, I agree, I’ve eyed up the spectral too and noticed the whopping head tube! Thats why i thought Strive Race with the 650mm ish TT, similar to an XL but shorter seat tube and head tube, the standard XL would be more sensible for me but gets the long headtube again.
    Not sure if i can be arsed to wait till june.
    I currently have a stumpy evo 29er in an XL, great but suffers from a high front end, gains 20mm in the head tube over the L size, god knows why when the front end of a 29er is too bloody high anyway. Looking for something thats more fun for larking about on.

I do like the new reign, does anyone know a decent euro website that sells em?

Don’t like the mondraker specs tbh.

Orbea Rallon looks nice but pricey for a decent spec and if u upgrade the spec on the websites the prices are ridiculous like £350 for a reverb (thats with a credit for the standard parts!!!)

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Don’t like the mondraker specs tbh.

Buy a Mondraker frame – build to your own spec?

This is the only way you are going to get your perfect bike as you have very particular requirements.

If you want the Orbea, just buy it without the Reverb. Then buy one cheap from Germany.

arogers
    Free Member

The chainstays are indeed quite wide, and my AM45s do rub them a bit, but that also happened with my Nomad and it’s never really bothered me.

I had a chat with a guy at Commencal when my front wheel folded first ride out and he says the Alpha wheels on the higher end models are different. The “better” wheels are listed as handbuilt on the website where mine are machine built. I’m not sure if that’s the only difference. If I were spending several K on a bike I would hope not..

rwills2
    Free Member

Very close to pulling the trigger on a frame and building from there.

Arogers, does the XL feel fine? I am around the same size as you and am torn between the L/XL. Don’t suppose you are based in the North West?!

I read the MBR review today which was somewhat off putting. I am concerned about the wide chainstays. Are they really that bad?

Final point, what do people generally prefer dropper wise…Reverb or KS Lev. Getting my build list together and thinking the Lev as it seems the more reliable option.

mark_rich
    Free Member

If u go commencal store direct and buy frame only (no shock) in euros works out about £800 I think, buy a monarch plus debonair from bikediscount.de for about £250 last time I looked.
    £1050ish for this years frame with the shock found on the higher models….not bad.
    But then if u look at the base model it’s bloody cheap too, do u buy that and flog the bits and upgrade???

julians
    Free Member

I meta v4 was on my shortlist when I looked for a new bike recently, but in the end I decided on the orbea.

I bought the orbea as a frame + shock only, and then put my own bits on it, some I transferred over from the previous bike, some were bought new from whichever online bike shop was cheapest.

The orbea website prices for upgrades are not competitive at all, as someone else has pointed out.

arogers
    Free Member

rwills2, I was worried about going XL, particularly going from a Large Santa Cruz, which size up notoriously small. It hasn’t been an issue for me though. I figured there is always the option of a super-short stem, which I might still try just out of curiosity.

I’m based in Newcastle. Hamsterley is my usual haunt. You’re very welcome to take a spin if you’re up this way at all.

Mark, if I’d had more time I probably would have done a full build. I’m going to end up replacing everything anyway. Like you though, I figured £600 extra for a full bike was worth it.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Ali, we ride hamsterley a bit, based in York so wouldn’t mind having a look if we happen to be there at same time.
    Was considering it for this sun depending where lads fancy.
    What sort of stuff do u like to ride there, we normally do the black with a trip up transmission thrown in, don’t know it well enough to ride off the beaten track.

arogers
    Free Member

Yes Mark, you’re welcome to try it out but I can’t do this sunday or next weekend I’m afraid. 21st/22nd is probably the next time I’ll get down. There’s a little shop in Stockton called Springs and Things, run by a guy called Glen. He stocks a few Commencals so might have an XL or even a large so you can get feel for the sizes.

I try to ride a good mix of stuff at Hamsterley. The black plus transmission/nitrous is a good loop. I know a bit of the natural stuff but definitely not all. The DH trails are great too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Meta V4, any one got a pic of an XL size??’ is closed to new replies.