Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Mens Health magazine ….
  • mudsux
    Free Member

There was an interesting article in the Times over the weekend. A fat journalist half managed the cover look in 4 months.

Anybody on here admit to subscribing to the look? Or attempting it?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A fat journalist half managed the cover look in 4 months.

Is that how long the Photoshop artist took to retouch the photograph?

😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Been at the weights and fitness for almost 20 years so physique wise – yes. Unfortunately I am a shortish, balding (and slightly greying) 34 year old which isn't really what they tend to look for…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tron
    Free Member

Nope. I like to be fit, but I find the whole idea of spending ages in the gym, shaving your armpits / chest / sack / crack, eating egg whites / steamed chicken / creatine / protein shakes all a bit too much.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

yep, used to be a catwalk model, these days I'm a craggy 30 something with a busy outdoors life.

I've still got the cheek bones and the jawline, what was a snake hipped twenty year old figure buffed out nicley with the growing-spread being turned to muscle by a calculated increase in activity.

My mates of the same age are getting fat and smelly, I'm getting fitter.

I've got a smaller waste size now than I had back then.

(smug) :mrgreen:

Jamie
    Free Member

He was not really that fat to start off with to be fair.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

TSY

If I had a penny for every time my wife quoted that film at me.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Petrol Fight!!

You need to throw back quotes from the Legend that is Ron Burgandy

'Hey everyone, come here and see how good I look' 😆

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

What is this? A centre for ants!

They've done studies, you know. They say 60% of the time, it works every time.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

HAHAHA I love that film.

Maybe because I'm a slightly vain spinning class addict that has stopped reading mens health years ago as after 6 months you've read all that they are ever going to write.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

he was 5'10" 15 stone that's fat

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have the natural talent, time and energy either to be buff or to be clever and interesting, but not both at the same time.

I generally shoot for clever and interesting, and manage to stay slim. 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

i manage to stay slim

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Maybe because I'm a slightly vain spinning class addict that has stopped reading mens health years ago as after 6 months you've read all that they are ever going to write.

Too true, every issue the cover features:-
    I, How to get rock hard abbs/arms without trying/in hours/easily
    II, Something about sex usually about it being good for her.
    III, How you can eat/drink something usually seen as bad and get fitter eg curry or beer.
    IV, How to earn more or get a better job
    V, How to beat a disease, heart attack.

zaskar
    Free Member

I was at 26yrs of age. Caught the attention my current GF.

Now at 33 and overworked and got fat.

GF said her BF was eaten by me…thanks alot!

So now at 33, on a diet and serious training begins in June when 7 days a week work is finally finished.

Probably 4 months of training, I have the sports science knowledge but must have the commitment/desire.

I guess it depends how far off you are, if you are grossly obese then sure it will take longer to reach cover mags but depends on your goal.

I just want to spend the last of my 30's racing/sportives again.

binners

I always assumed that anyone who read Mens Health magazine was….. well….. you know

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Never pushed back in my life Binners…

But did go for a 6 month spell of celibacy at one stage…. hmmm?

TheFlyingOx

I'm currently in the middle of Tony Horton's P90X. I know, I know, it's one of those infomercial things that make you cringe if you turn the telly on too early in the morning, but I can honestly say that I'm noticing quite a difference. I don't think I'll ever be "Men's Health" ripped because I like beer and pies too much, but in 5 and a bit weeks I've lost my muffin top, have increased my arm strength immeasurably (as in I can actually manage 20 pull-ups/push ups, rather than the 1 or 2 that killed me before), and just generally trimmed fat and toned up. And I feel a million times more awake as well.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

20 pull ups in 5 weeks…….. really?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I don't think it I've ever seen it. Is it like Women's Realm?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

There's a huge difference between being able to do 20 push ups and 20 pull ups…

swiss01
    Free Member

i always thought men's health was the magazine people got when their copy of attitude was sold out so i'm with binners. certainly the last time i looked at it in company with one of my gay mates his comment was if you had abs like that i'd shag you. to which i replied, in words of the great mc hammer you can't touch this. i think we were both firmly (yes, yes i said firmly) in accord re the homoreoticism of men's heath. or as he would put it, them that read the likes of this, two beers away, my friend, two beers away….

for the dz afficionados above – you know there's a zoolander 2 in the offing? mugatu returns? he's so hot right now.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Is it a gay thing, or just an insidious attempt to destroy male self confidence with negative body image and to sell products to fill the yawning void in our self-esteem thereby created? Women have had to put up with magazines pulling exactly the same stunt for decades…

molgrips
    Free Member

Men's Health! You too can get ripped abs! Come on, get those abs ripped! Do it! How are your abs now? Ripped yet? Here's a new way to get ripped abs! Come on, you want ripped abs, you do! Do it! Ripped abs!

Do they ever talk about anything else?

Geronimo
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member

Is it a gay thing, or just an insidious attempt to destroy male self confidence with negative body image and to sell products to fill the yawning void in our self-esteem thereby created? Women have had to oput up with magazines pulling exactly the same stunt for decades…

It must be part of a push to flog 'beauty products' to men.

Although this kind of thing has been going on for a while, I think it is being taken up fairly slowly because the majority of men are not interested.

Personally, I like to feel fit -not being fat is a side-effect. I could not be ars*d to pump iron in order to look 'buff'.

Using cosmetics & having a spray tan seems like a waste of time and money in
    order to look ridiculous.

Shaving my body seems pointless as I have no intention of achieving silky smooth legs or chest

Anecdotally, the Trafford Centre originally had lots of shops selling clothing for men and for women. With an couple of years the number stocking clothes for men appeared to have fallen significantly.

BigDummy
    Free Member

[chuckling at molgrips] 😀

Agreed Geronimo, although "do you pluck your nutsack?" threads on here are always surprising.

I bought, on whim, something that reckoned it would give me better skin the other day. It has definitely given me greasier skin. Sod that. 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Thankfully now in my 40's I have grown out of the need to buy magazines telling me how my body / lifestyle should be, for me that includes for cycling mags as well.

TBH you should be grown out of it by the time you are 30.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont really see the point in it

If you're into mens health stuff, surely theres loads of websites on the internet that can give you all the 'ripped abs' info for free.

It seems like an odd magazine to sit down and read with a cup of coffee. i cant see there being any funny or interesting stories in there.

Geronimo
    Free Member

It depends what people think 'manliness' is.

Do you reckon these chaps

did much of this:

?

TheFlyingOx

20 pull ups in 5 weeks…….. really?

I may have forgot to mention that some might possibly be "assisted" pull-ups (toes on chair out in front) 😳
    And I could obviously do more than 1 in the first place. Maybe 4 or 5.
    I'm still better than I was, anyway.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

You can be a heroin addict and have ripped abs – just means low bodyfat. Getting them isn't exactly rocket science and not really a broad enough subject to be detailed in depth every single month.

Geronimo
    Free Member

You can be a heroin addict and have ripped abs – just means low bodyfat. Getting them isn't exactly rocket science and not really a broad enough subject to be detailed in depth every single month.

Train hard + don't eat too much.

Please send your money to….

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm sorry, but I think those 40's SAS chaps have probably been using conditioner on their beards. 😉

Geronimo
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member

I'm sorry, but I think those 40's SAS chaps have probably been using conditioner on their beards.

That may be so, but would you have asked them?

TheFlyingOx

You can be a heroin addict and have ripped abs

I find your views intriguing, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member

I'm sorry, but I think those 40's SAS chaps have probably been using conditioner on their beards.

See the canisters in front and behind them? Full of Pantene Pro V, I'll bet.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Does my gun look big in this?

Ox – a mere £5 a week and you too can learn the secrets of the Pete Doherty workout.

augustuswindsock

I remember buying a couple of issues when it first came out years ago,
    there was one of those 'factoid' type bits that suggested a hot bath prior to sex, the heat dilating blood vessels leading to stronger erections! Literally the following issue there was a similar piece advocating a cold shower prior to sex, as this would lead to a release of endorphins and adrenalin leading to stronger erections!!!
    I waited for the one that said avoid washing prior to sex as the pheromones would lead to stronger erections, but that one never happened!

Talkemada
    Free Member

I have the natural talent, time and energy either to be buff or to be clever and interesting, but not both at the same time.

I manage both! 😀

I'm well buff me. I don't need to work at it though, as it just comes naturally. Superior genes you see.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Mens Health magazine ….’ is closed to new replies.