Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Mendip STW Forum Ride – this Sunday – Roll Call
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It will start at 9:30 (for 10:00) in Burrington Combe, BS40 7AT CLICK HERE

~30km distance and 800m ascent over a leisurely 6-6.5 hours with a cafe and a pub stop. The trails are still nice and firm despite recent showers. Sunshine has been ordered.

Who's coming?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Gahh

Really wanted to come but Mrs PP needs the car for her charity work, nobody else from round here is coming and it's impossible to train it. I've tried everything short of hiring a car!

So no muffins, sorry :9

Maybe next time 🙂

knottie8
    Free Member

Im a maybe .

cashback

i am a yes, although it's my first forum ride but as i live 2 miles away, it seemed rude not to come.

elliptic
    Free Member

Trails were very nice indeed last night, don't think Slot Cars has ever been faster.

I'll be along though maybe pootling at the back as my right achilles has randomly started playing up 😡

judderman
    Free Member

I shall be attending +3 others

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Can't make this one.

I've ordered a Hangover for Sunday so I'll be feeling sorry for myself
    whilst fighting a horrible headache.

Enjoy the ride everyone. 😀

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I'll be there. Day pass booked.

noteeth
    Free Member

I wish I could be there.

Sweet Lord above, I can't wait to get home for good.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Meet you at some point during the day.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If I don't get too hung over drinking all day at a wedding on Saturday, I'll be there.

Expect fetid breath, beer sweats and gaffa'd together SIDI's 🙂

DaRC_L

🙁 just got back from there last weekend from our house swap holiday

RichPenny
    Free Member

I should be able to make it now. Peter, if you can catch a train down near here I could give you a lift?

Andy

Sadly no; 75 miles in the Chilterns beckons 😯

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A few people coming then. Really looking forward to it. Some peachy downhill trails en-route:

Limestone Link
    Safari Park
    The Old DH trail
    Warrens Hill (part)
    Slot Cars
    Stony Lane

And I reckon The Crown rivals The Square and Compass for the best pub-on-ride 🙂

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Hi, probably cant make it (up in the Wye Valley instead), but interested to know which trails are Safari Park and Stony Lane? Presumably Old DH is one of many in Rowberrow?

cheers

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Stony Lane is the wide but very rock BW descending to the road, almost opposite Blagdon Water Gardens. You can go very fast but it's harsh and loose so it's quite scary when you do.

Safari Park is rock studded dirt trails that goes around one the enclosures in Rowberrow, close to Link Lane, Mendip Lodge Wood. Most of it is on the CLIC trail. It's very fast.

The Old DH is the rooty one that ends up near the gate where the houses are. It's go loads of bumps and twists and turns and sharp roll downs and is a rooty as heaven. Prob my fav challenging trail.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Also now a maybe…. still don't have big Spesh back, and little Spesh currently still with v brakes and 1" travel forks, maybe not the best. Will see if big Spesh is ready tomorrow and come if so.

SOAP
    Free Member

Would love to go but cannot 😥 never rode on the Mendips and guided is the way to hit the good stuff!
    would someone post a mmo,gpx or tcx file of the route?
    cheers

thegerminator
    Free Member

yep two more up from devon have
    really enjoyed the two st rides
    purbecks and surrev hills this
    year, here's to the mendips.

Clink

Can't make it unfortunately 😥 – my local as well. Hope all have a fab ride.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

thanks Buzz, not sure I do know Safari, always good to hear about potential new trails

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its looking like a thin group this year Buzz!

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I'm quite close and was really looking forward to this but I seem to have done something to my lower back this week, feeling better now but it doesn't seem like a good idea to go out on the bike and aggravate it. 😥

Edric64
    Free Member

Who named the trails ? I ride round therE often and have never heard them called Safari Park and old DH.

mendip
    Free Member

I will be there on white Genesis mtb, it's my first STW ride and hope the weather will be good.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

What do you call them Edric?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Elliptic told me that was called safari park, something to do with the fence and being sandy.

Everyone I met who knows it calls it "the old DH" trail. I think because it's a DH trail and it's the oldest 😉

Xmas Trees gets called Santa's Grotto by some. Slot Cars is sometimes referred to as Scalextric. Both are fitting.

Names are good. Without names it's difficult to communicate.

BTW. weather forecast is good, but there were some sharp showers today so expect to get a little wet and slidy in places. I also have to confess that I'm not very well, but there is a plan B so don't worry.

See ya! there

judderman
    Free Member

affraid ive had to bail 🙁

Anna-B
    Free Member

Well isn't it great riding on the Mendips?! Shame the same can't be said for Orange 5s… (soz Rich 😉 )

Thanks Buzz for organising the ride and the route, and thanks everyone else for being lovely. Buzz get well soon!

RichPenny
    Free Member

U are clearly just not man enough for a 5 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

More than man enough…pure power snapped the chain coming out of the car park 😆

Edric64
    Free Member

I never knew they had names ,must ride with the wrong group!!

nickegg
    Free Member

Most trails ridden frequently by groups are given names…..i reckon most trails in Leigh Woods have name given to them by someone. Maybe your group just lack imagination Edric.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Only one snapped chain and 3 punctures – not bad. I fell asleep for 2 hours when I got home! Really glad I was just well enough today – horrified as I was by the prospect of having organised a ride but not actually taking part. Sorry we we missed out the old DH trail – it would have been dead slippy tricky after yesterday's rain.

Thanks to all the local riders who came – esp Chris (Elliptic) and Colin (ScienceOfficer). To all those travelled – thank you for coming and I hope to see you round here again – email any time you want to visit.

My mediocre photos will be up in a bit 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

We remember the names on the os maps I find they suffice!!(well where they are named)

elliptic
    Free Member

Will be uploading some of my pics shortly as well.

A fine day out – quite slippy conditions had the locals recalibrating braking points and cornering speeds after all the dry weather!

Could have stopped for a couple more at the Crown…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yep, big thanks to buzz and the other locals for guiding, gate holding and stopping people falling off the trail in places 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yeah I'm glad I was riding my bouncy lump of pig iron today – plenty of grip 🙂

Yeah fair enough Edrik e.g. Link Lane, Limestone Link etc. But somehow "Badgers" is a better name than "The Perch" because you wont see a perch up there, but you might see badgers. "Slot cars" is a top name because it makes you feel like a slot car. You should have come by the way, then we could have continued this argument over a cider. See you soon?

Edric64
    Free Member

I'm joking !!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Mendip STW Forum Ride – this Sunday – Roll Call’ is closed to new replies.