Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Mega 2016
  • bitterlemon
    Free Member

This is my first time registering for the Mega so hoping its an easy process – anyone know what time registration begins?

Thanks.

jamesoz

12am 4th January, according to the mail they sent. Promised myself I wouldn’t do it this year, then I heard the music..

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Thanks mate. Any idea how long it’s taken for places to go in previous years? Do I stay up late or get up early.

I’m not sure if others can join yet. Has anyone completed the week on their lonesome – still fun?

sharkattack

You might as well get this song stuck in your brain now
    [video]http://youtu.be/fRk7HEnvFPY[/video]

chrishc777
    Free Member

Signing up is harder than the actual race, last year it didn’t sell out either but the quicker you register the closer to the front line you are on quali, allegedly. The organization is a total shambles but worth it.

I was going alone but picked up a random lad on pinkbike, we had a blast and met loads of people there

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Hmm, this is going to be a very interesting thread again 🙂

flap_jack
    Free Member

Anyone doing it on a fatty ?

Dark-Side

Someone did last year.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Thanks. @sa off to download the album now.

woodster

You can’t cheat and listen to the music, it has to only be heard at the start-line and occasionally in your nightmares.

Otherwise the websites a mess, but get in early and you should get a front row quali position. registration probably opens at 11 UK time, but it’ll be an incomprehensible mess regardless.

I’m still undecided. I had an awesome time last year, but not sure there aren’t other challenges to do now.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Otherwise the websites a mess, but get in early and you should get a front row quali position. registration probably opens at 11 UK time, but it’ll be an incomprehensible mess regardless.

This is all a bit of an old wives tale.

The front row, for the most part, is seeded, based on previous Mega results, or results at other ‘known’ races, or if you’re a pro/celeb/known rider or racer.

If the entires are down, like the last few years, then you tend to get a few stragglers making up the numbers on the front row, as it’s pretty much a lottery where you are otherwise.

That’s from the organisers 🙂

ahsf
    Free Member

When you register you are asked your best race results so the better result you put the more chance you have of been seed on the front row of each heat like Hob Nob said, I put that I had a top 20 result in the mega and got on the front row yet it was my first time at the mega Avalanche.

You can register with the engage sports now but the registration for the mega Avalanche does not open till the 4th of January, it also doesn’t sell out no more so plenty of time to register.

Log in and click on event top right hand corner to get a list of the engage sports events
    https://www.engage-sports.com/compte/login/?next=/competition/rechercher/

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The only down side to that is, of course if you aren’t quite as quick as you make out, and are just looking to ‘survive’ the experience, it can be a bit daunting, you will literally be a mobile roadblock with faster riders coming at you from every angle. A lot of people get taken out by faster riders in the first few corners, it’s pretty cut-throat up the front.

It might be an idea just to leave it to the luck of the draw if you aren’t going for a result, save yourself the stress & pressure. 🙂

The guy next to me last year on the front row was so far out of his depth, he looked terrified. I don’t think he even made it to the first corner, that can’t have been any fun.

danbillam
    Free Member

Interested in doing the mega this year. How much is it to enter and what does that get you? Cheers

twistedpencil

Will be entering for the first time tomorrow, will be back to this thread for support from 11!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The only down side to that is, of course if you aren’t quite as quick as you make out, and are just looking to ‘survive’ the experience, it can be a bit daunting, you will literally be a mobile roadblock with faster riders coming at you from every angle.

Few years ago but put down honest results and got second row, however it was massively down on the pro’s then as I think it clashed with wc’s.
    Remi absalon was the guy in front of me, at least there was nobody in front of me… In the end held my own despite a cold and not being able to breath but just missed the cut for the main event.
    I would definitely not have wanted to be up there in my first go… If you are confident well practiced and fit it’s the end to be at.

twistedpencil

Looks like its live from 11pm, FB post from earlier confirmed.

twistedpencil

FB update, looks like they mean midday tomorrow, not midnight…

So far it’s going smoothly!

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

So can I enter a couple of us or is it every man for himself??

lapierrelady

I really want to do this again, but clashes with term time this year. Fingers crossed for 2017! Good luck to everyone for entries and racing.

jamesoz

No idea, I have added an extra lift pass for my GF but not an extra race entry.
    For what it’s worth I’ve never put anything in the results box (mid field veteran usually) and been on the 2nd row for the last 3 years. Not that it helped in 2014, chasing the pack with a dislocated shoulder from the big start line crash was a painful experience.
    The ability range is massive, which is the biggest danger. You line up with the fast, the terrified, and the over confident.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Registration is open.

twistedpencil

Can you get through without uploading a medical certificate or race license?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thankfully flights that time of year are still expensive. I was tempted as I’m feeling good on the bike at the moment.

jamesoz

You shouldn’t need to but the msa card is worth it to avoid the need for doctors note or licence.
    Against my better judgement I’ve signed up again.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i just registered, didnt provide any insurance, licence or prev results. says to expect email when accepted by organiser… 😕

twistedpencil

Jamesoz – cheers got the insurance sorted through them, reread the small print and have now entered. That was easier than expected, must have cocked something up!

Better ride the bike more this year then.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want my top training tips ride lots and go to the lakes a lot (move there) and do some regional dh races on ht/trail bike 😉

SirHC

Booked in. Now to persuade the local giant shop that they need to get me a Reign frameset.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

what did your confirmation emails say?

twistedpencil

Confirmation email

“We have received your payment of € ….. by credit card on-committed sports. Com on 01/04/2016 ..:..

Your registration has been recorded and you will receive a message when the organizer has validated.
    Your order number is: XXXX”

So waiting on validation…

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

oh good that’s what mine said too. so is there any chance it wont get validated…? how soon do you hear?

chrishc777
    Free Member

That was actually pretty easy!

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Mine is waiting on validation, I think I need to get the doctors note too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For the insurance, legal protection and discounts I’d just buy the basic BC licence

Dark-Side

bitterlemon – Member
    Mine is waiting on validation, I think I need to get the doctors note too.

As noted above, if you purchased the multi-day assurance you do not need a doctors note.

I’m in too, hope we get weather like last year.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Hi Mike can I go back and choose the BC licence – it similar to Dog tag (as an example) Thanks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No idea.. Once I saw that flights were still pricy FROM Oz I skipped the pipe dream

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Oz! Now that would have been a long (but awesome) week.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol would have done a month but I was thinking 3rd time lucky on the not getting broken plan

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Mega 2016’ is closed to new replies.