• This topic has 34 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by will.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • McMoonter & Boblo ride coast to coast.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Here’s the blog, pics to follow. We are seven miles from Fort Augustus after a pretty hard core second day.
    Munching on toasties in a bid to ward off the bonk. We’ll camp at FA tonight.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/mcandmilesgofromskyetomontrose

AlexSimon

nice – need pictures though 🙂

leffeboy

nice – need pictures though

exactly. pics please

mt
    Free Member

We need pictures! Like the Salsa.

camo16
    Free Member

Are you really a crazy guy on a bike? Your blog thingy seemed perfectly rational.

* waits for images of craziness and cycling *

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m the most technically inept uploader of pics ever. We will have another try tonight.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Wifi is scarce so pics will have to wait. Right we are off to Ballater over Glen Tilt. The sun is shining, yeeeeeus.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

For anyone with ambitions to ride a spectacular off road self supported route. You have to give this C2C a serious look. With one more day to go, it’s been for me an all time epic.

scandalous
    Free Member

route please!

matt_outandabout

Enjoying the read so far. Great route 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Boblo has the route and stats on his Garmin. We will add it when we finish in Montrose tomorrow.

novaswift
    Free Member

Enjoy the ride. A few weeks ago 3 mates and myself cycled the Southern Upland Way in four days for Macmillan. Raised a load of cash but never again!

maxray
    Free Member

Really well written. Goes to show good content outweighs swanky web design as I persevered reading all the sections so far on my phone. 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We made it to Montrose over Mount Keen. We dodged the rain all week. Got post ride blues now. Best plan another!

kcal

yay!
    Will read the blog soon. FWIW my off-road (well, about 50:50 was all we could manage realistically) C2C from Ardnamurchan to Montrose was a blinder..

matt_outandabout

pics or it didn’t happen…

fasthaggis

Nice one Mr McM.
    I bet the push up Mt Keen was a pain with an loaded bike.
    Would be interested in how you rated the Salsa on the trip.
    🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Brilliant. v jealous.
    Pics please!

mtbfix

Nice read. Good effort, chaps.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Pics are uploading, the wait is almost over.

mcmoonter
    Free Member
    bearnecessities

Oh

my

god.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Boblo will surely post up the route file when he gets home.

Every day started with a big off road climb followed by a long road section. Boblo rode an 88 Marin Pine Mountain. It was the perfect bike for the trip. A simple durable frame that worked really well on and off road. We both used heavy touring tyres, which were never an issue off road but made the road sections quicker.

My Fargo was good but slightly over geared, I was carrying too much stuff. I never had any issues with the drop bars and brifters. The only mechanical was the discovery of some loose rack mounting bolts on my bike. Once we found a way of lashing Boblo’s panniers to stop them leaping off the rack early on the first day we were sorted.

Mileage was around 240 and the total ascent was a fraction short of 17000 feet.

bigbloke
    Free Member

That looked epic. Fantastic pics and i am generally extremely jealous. I really must do something like this one day, i really really should.

AlexSimon

Haven’t had chance to read – but those pics instantly made me want to do it. Looks amazing!

andytherocketeer

Nice pics. And a good read too. Often take a peek on cgoab to get ride inspiration.

Liking the Biopace rings 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve uploaded pics to the blog now so you can get a rough idea of what is where.

CGOAB is a great resource for sharing tour journals, the forum is also full of great advice for touring almost anywhere.

It’s been a while since I did a back to back day tour off road. I will be checking out more routes, be warned it’s addictive. Adding an extra day or two to an overnight trip makes all the difference.

trail_rat
    Free Member

lotta photos there from the fungle path i see …. i loves that loop !

kcal

Evocative pics McMoon…

Our trip took us through Balmoral as well, never really felt it was out of order – there weren’t any snipers in the woods that I could see 🙂

Our variation took in the Fungle as well rather than the obvious Mount Keen direct – was mostly good, the extension on the south side promised but didn’t really deliver .. 🙁

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Our variation took in the Fungle as well rather than the obvious Mount Keen direct – was mostly good, the extension on the south side promised but didn’t really deliver ..

I’ve ridden the Fungle and the Firmounth roads over to Tarfside before, either would have been contenders. There are another couple of ways over from Glen Tannar but they both have a hike a bike in the middle. It didn’t take us that long to get over Mount Keen, at least you can see what is ahead of you. Once we hit the paved road we never left it to Montrose. I think the prescribed route has one more off road bit.

somafunk

That looks like just the trip/type of riding i want to do, they’re cracking pics mcmoonter and i’ll check your blog out when i get home fae work.

kcal

I think the prescribed route has one more off road bit.

Sounds about right. Over to Tillybardine. Not that inspired/inspiring I have to say…

Stoner
    Free Member

absolutely gobsmacking pics mcm.

I must get on to granny Stoner and get some serious babysitting sorted 😀

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve cancelled my internet subscription – everything so far has just been building up to this thread..

I can see no need to continue any further with it

thanks.. 😀

will
    Free Member

I don’t know how I missed this thread originally but seriously this is brilliant and I love you report.

In fact I’m now sat here planning how I can do something similar.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘McMoonter & Boblo ride coast to coast.’ is closed to new replies.