• This topic has 165 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)
  • Mayweatther V Pacquiao
  • benz
    Free Member

Draw and do it again….

Junkyard
    Free Member

Should have happened 5 years ago when they were in their absolute prime

Will either be awesome or a complete let down

Winner ….hurts to say it but Mayweather will win but I am not a fan of his style of fights but you cannot criticise how effective he is and he is simply the best of his generation and one of the best of all time [ as is Manny to be fair]

leegee

Can’t live up to the hype, Should have happened years ago and tbh I’m fed up with it.

Most Probably a Floyd UD however Pacquiao seems very confident and has Miguel Cotto to assist him.

jimjam
    Free Member

Ring rust could be a factor for Mayweatther, I hope it is as I like to se Pacquiao thrash him. But yes, well past it’s sell by date and seems like a totally irrelevant money grab.

mikey3
    Free Member

Finally maywheather has stopped cherrypicking and is going to face the guy he should,pity its years to late though,seems a bit pointless now,if you want to see a good fighter who should rule for awhile watch golovkin tonight,should be his toughest fight by far,be interesting how he does.

piha
    Free Member

Mayweather V Pacman may be a little late but it will be a great fight. I didn’t think it would happen after all the previous attempts to get the fighters together, so fair play to both camps but there is still plenty of time for a spanner in the works……

The Golovkin fight seems to be a formality if you believe the pundits. Murray is very brave and strong but Golovkin is an unbelievable boxer and will prove much too strong for Murray. Best of luck to Murray though.

Good article here ; http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/31316042

tpbiker
    Free Member

A bit late but hardly irrelevant. Still the best 2 boxers p4p in the world, both at their ideal weight. If you aren’t excited about this fight then you aren’t a boxing fan. Neither is past it and though both are past their best, still head and shoulders better than anyone else.

The only fight that would come close to this for me would be
    Golovkin vs Froch. Not as good boxers, but a man made of steal vs a man with dynamite in his fists. Struggling to see why this one is not even being talked about, would be an absolute war.

duckman

Junkyard into the boxing; whoodathunkit?
    I think and hope there is a bit of needle between them,for me it is about who has declined the least unfortunately. Can Mayweather still make himself so hard to hit? And can the pacman still hit as quickly and often? Looking forward to finding out.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

so many years too late, but still glad it is going to happen. the money they going to make I won’t be surprised if it’s going to be a triology .. win-win 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

pbiker – Member

A bit late but hardly irrelevant. Still the best 2 boxers p4p in the world, both at their ideal weight. If you aren’t excited about this fight then you aren’t a boxing fan.

I do attend boxing, kick boxing and MMA events when I can , but I guess I’m not a boxing fan since I like the idea of fighters competing for the sport of it, not for a payday. You admit your self both are past their best, so whilst it might have been an exciting prospect several years ago it really seems like cashing in on their respective careers for a pension.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I do attend boxing, kick boxing and MMA events when I can , but I guess I’m not a boxing fan since I like the idea of fighters competing for the sport of it, not for a payday. You admit your self both are past their best, so whilst it might have been an exciting prospect several years ago it really seems like cashing in on their respective careers for a pension.

Who cares if they are doing it for money. Do you think any top boxer doesn’t box for money. Its not actually that fun risking life and limb getting punched in the face you realise.

So if you are a boxing fan answer me the following: Who would you rather see fight? What would be a more intriguing fight than this one? Whos better pound for pound out there now, regardless of whether they are on the slide. And will you not staying up to watch it then?

I’m not arguing that it wouldn’t have been better 6 years ago, but its still by far the most intriguing fight out there.

deluded
    Free Member

About time.

My monies on Mayweather (although I lost money on Groves and Froch – so what do I know). 40 odd fights and unbeaten and I don’t think he’s seen the canvass properly. Pacquiao has a big dig on him but it’s whether it gets through or not.

mooman
    Free Member

Yes – 5 years too late really. The winner of this won`t really convince everybody because both guys are not seen as brilliant as they were 5-6 years ago.
    Pac man has had a few losses the last few years and that one devastating KO by Marquez.
    And Mayweather has not looked so elusive or dominant his last couple fights.

It should be a decent enough fight. It just won`t be that important any more. All the talk will be about who has the most left and who is more past it … nothing like it would have been 5 years ago.

Mayweather a fairly easy Pts winner.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I would suggest mayweather really doesn’t need to worry about his pension.

BoardinBob

Regardless of it being 5 years too late, it’s still the biggest fight around. Still the top 2 P4P fighters and it’s great to see Floyd actually take a chance. To be honest there is no credible opponent left for either of them now.

5 years ago my money would have been on Manny (an unpopular opinion). Now it’s much harder to call, which is probably why Floyd took it. Both have slipped from their peaks. The Manny that destroyed (a weight drained) ODLH, Hatton, Cotto & Margarito would have presented Floyd’s biggest challenge. I thought Manny’s explosive power and speed would have found a way through Floyd’s masterful defence.

The fact both are past their peak doesn’t really detract from the fight. On one hand Floyd has struggled with southpaws. On the other hand counter-punchers like JMM have given Manny fits. The ingredients are there for a classic as styles make fights. Crossing my fingers it doesn’t turn out to be a damp squib.

leegee

Ring rust could be a factor for Mayweatther

For his sins Floyd is utterly professional and practically lives in the gym.

Story goes he is a financial disaster and some former associates are convinced he will end up skint.

DezB
    Free Member

Great that they are finally getting it on, but after Pacquiao was flattened by the Marquez right, I really don’t think he has the chin to survive someone as big as Mayweather. Mayweather always finds a way to win, he’s pretty much a genius in the ring.. shame that Pacquiao won’t shut him up, but it’ll be exciting.

Don’t forget – Martin Murray taking on the beast that is Gennady Golovkin is on tonight at 10 on Channel 5! Should be good.

Kryton57

wrightyson – Member

Its reported Mayweather is being paid $120m for this fight.

BoardinBob

I really don’t think he has the chin to survive someone as big as Mayweather

JMM was blatantly on the juice and mayweather is far from a monster puncher. He may have titles at MW but he’s not really any heavier than Manny. When he’s fought at MW he was coming in under the weight limit without even bothering to cut weight. Plus he has really fragile hands.

DezB
    Free Member

Just always have the fact that Manny started out as a flyweight in my mind…

BoardinBob

Margarito had 4.5 inches and 17 pounds on Manny. Didn’t matter much

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, Margarito… Mayweather… not really a comparison there! :-). Hope you’re right though, naturally!

leegee

Mayweather was petrified of Margarito.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRueJoZM8u8[/video]

I think he would have waded through Floyds pitter patter and beat him up.

Manny fought a past prime and weight drained version and reportedly was in agony afterward and states it was his hardest fight

No doubt JMM was juicing for the last fight and Manny probably was for the first 3, JMM won all 4 IMO

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well, if Mayweather get’s destroyed I will be getting roundly shitfaced with a bunch of Filipinos who have a disgusting perchance for karaoke.

DezB
    Free Member

Floyds pitter patter

Really? Oh, yeah, that’s what Hatton called it before their fight, wasn’t it…

tpbiker
    Free Member

Really? Oh, yeah, that’s what Hatton called it before their fight, wasn’t it…

He was the last person floyd stopped other than a cheap shot on ortiz which doesn’t really count. Hes definitely not heavy handed, but what he is is accurate.

Just always have the fact that Manny started out as a flyweight in my mind…

At the same age Manny was a flyweight in the pros floyd was a flyweight in the amateurs. Only difference is Manny turned pro earlier.

leegee

Margarito was different animal to Hatton, He was a huge Welter and had the chin to brawl.
    Hatton didn’t have the best chin either.

DezB
    Free Member

You don’t beat Cotto, Maidana and Alvarez with pitty patty punches! Even if Mayweather didn’t stop them, they are all big, strong, hard punching welterweights. No way a limited boxer like Margarito would’ve got anywhere near him.
    Anyway, this is about Pacquiao, and he’s certainly got a better chance than Margarito!

Kryton57

So whose staying up until 4am then?

I’m tempted to get up at 3.30 and pay £20, but then again, I’m not.

mikey3
    Free Member

Cant see this fight being on much before 5am and santa cruz and lomachenko are ok fighters but not sure I they will keep me awake before the main event,alarm time I think.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I honestly think it will be a dull fight mostly due to Mayweathers style

Manny needs to be cagey [ or he will lose] so it will be tactical from the first bell till the last
    Stay up Not for me but will check it as soon as i wake up

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Anyone know when is the first free repeat is scheduled on Sky Sports?

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I’m setting the alarm although not sure 4 or 5am yet. Should be a great start to the sunday 🙂
    Would love the story of Pac man beating Money and then do it all again in a rematch. Not many fights really get capture the imagination nowadays. Go Pac man ( Do it for the people!)

scandal42
    Free Member

American themed evening in with burgers and mac n cheese, shit loads of booze and coffee and lots of shadow boxing in the living room with similarly weighted friends.

I can see me going the distance or a big KO after ten 1 pint rounds and 5 espressos sends me flailing head first through the garden fence.

Hope Manny destroys him, but we all know that’s going to be very difficult. Still beats watching that pathetic trash fighter Tyson Fury beat blokes who have just come out of the local working mens club.

Kryton57

Anyone know when is the first free repeat is scheduled on Sky Sports?

32nd of February 2079.

Junkyard do you think? Mannys only real chance is to tear him a new one. He’s weighed light, so I can help thinking that he’ll be inside Mayweather and tearing him up. Otherwise he’ll be open to the counters.

DezB
    Free Member

PPVing it, but will watch when I get up. Too old to get up in the night these days. Used to do that in the Frank Bruno era 😆

Be fantastic if Pacquiao can do it… the odds are going his way apparently, but I can’t see Mayweather losing his unbeaten record just yet.
    No-one’s got anywhere near beating Mayweather by boxing cagey. The fighters who pressure him have got the closest. Pacquiao will make this a thriller, he’s never in a dull fight!

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Workrate and aggression although Pac man also has the power to stiffen up Money’s legs. I think you’ll see a different Mayweather in the fight and a retro Manny.

Pastries and coffee for me.. see you all at 4.00 am 🙂

BoardinBob

Undercard isn’t great so I’ll set the alarm for 4am for the main event. Getting excited!

Rockplough
    Free Member

I hope the serial woman beater gets leathered.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Mayweatther V Pacquiao’ is closed to new replies.