• This topic has 47 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by sv.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Maxxis tyre combos – tell me yours.
  • sv

Currently running Highrollers 2.35 Front 42a and 60a rear both single ply. They are on a Pitch and the bike feels quite sluggish thinking of swapping out the Super Tacky for something else. Could just put on a 60/62/70 HR but was thinking what other combos folks run. Would like to keep the tyre volume just less rolling resistance.

jim
    Free Member

60a 2.35 High Rollers front and back for me.

Might put something a bit quicker (ADvantage?) on the back in the summer.

Baldysquirt

I have an Ardent rear which is a good tyre (although I've found the carcass a little fragile – but am assured this is unusual). It's pretty quick, grippy in most spring to autumn stuff and will probably end up staying on the bike all winter too. The 2.25 is a nice tall tyre that comes up bigger than the 2.35 HR. When this one dies, I'll happily consider getting another.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fbk
    Free Member

Minion DHF single ply 60a on the front. Loads of grip and predictable sliding.

Still a bit heavy but no where near as slow rolling as a Super Tacky.

Still deciding what to put on the rear to replace the Kenda – between a HR, advantage or Ardent….

tinsy
    Free Member

swampthing front, swampthing rear, its winter…. the now unobtainable 2.1 size in basic wire bead variety.

Its mid winter and massive tyres are just a drag fest in the mud unless it was really rocky where you ride and mostly hard ground just drop the tyre size and reap the benefits of less drag and more grip.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Used to run 2.3 High Rollers amazing on the down hills but quite a lot of effort everywhere else!

Now run supper tacky front and 60a rear, now run 2.1 High Roller LUST front and Larson TT LUST 2.0 rear much better all round. But the narrower tires are a little too twitchy on rock gardens!

hughjengin
    Free Member

High Roller 2.35 60a on the front, Ignitor exception on the back, seems to work well enough,
    By the way, has anyone tried the Maxxis Rendez on the back ? It always gets great reviews and yet you hardly ever see anyone riding them ?

jedi

minion sticky front 24" high roller sticky rear

Gordymac
    Free Member

F Advantage 2.1 Lust and R Larsen TT 2.0 Lust on the hardtail
    F HighRoller 2.35 Lust and R Ignitor 2.35 Lust on the full sus
    F Minion 2.35 60A folding single ply and R Swampthing 2.35 60A steel singleply on the winter bike.

crackhead
    Free Member

Swamp Thing front,Minion front on rear,brilliant…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

2.1 Advantage, 60a kevlar (F) and 70a wire (rear).

The 70a let go a bit too easily in the wet to run as a front tyre IMO, so I got a 60a. They have only a little smaller volume than 2.35 HRs, lighter, slightly shallower tread and more rounded profile but still have excellent cornering knobs. But significantly less grippy/draggy as 2.35 SuperTacky HRs. Run at psi: 28F-35R, they seem suited to my local riding which is arguably XC+tech – cushioned, rarely puncturing and giving a reasonable compromise of confidence vs speed.

glynP
    Free Member

2.35 lust High roller on front and a 2.1 lust crossmark on rear a super combination for the Tracer, the high roller gives a lot of confidence and doesn't really drag as its on the front with the speed of the crossmark on the rear, its a great tyre but not for the front

hora
    Free Member

I have an Ardent rear which is a good tyre (although I've found the carcass a little fragile

Amazing 'summer/autumn' Swampthing isnt it? …yes I notice abrasions all the way round its sidewall as well yet not on other Maxxis- I think there must be a weak batch more like?!

thomthumb
    Free Member

larsenn tt on the rear. high roller super tacky up front. 2.35s.

perfect.

pinches
    Free Member

super tacky 2.35 high roller up front, 60A 2.0 larsen TT rear.

or

2.1 crossmark up front with a 2.0 larsen on the back

james
    Free Member

When I use maxxis, I use:

Crossmark 2.1" folding 70a front, 2.1" wire 70a rear
    Bought for summer use and a C2C ride. Wire on the rear because its cheaper when it needs replacing. Folding up front because its lighter. Have used round Kirroughtree, doesn't feel like it corners as solidly as 50/60a Nevegals for instance, but still carries speed through corners well enough. No problems on McMoab with 40+psi
    Have used recently on local BMX tracks. Similar lack of feel in corners but doesn't actually loose grip when pushing it
    Will probably try Michelin Dry 2 2.15"s or something else with a little more grip next summer/spring
    (on the XC hardtail btw)

2* High Roller 2.35" 60a folding (100-150g lighter than the single ply (wire)) (646-695g depending on Just Riding Along or Maxxis)
    Only really use in sloppy conditions as something to actually cut through to find grip (whilst keeping some volume to (badly) ride rocks, stairs and drops) Good cornering at trail centres but don't actually have that much rubber in contact with flatter harder surfaces
    Use Kenda Nevegal Folding DTC (50/60a) 2.1" (ever so slightly smaller) in less sloppy conditions and through summer on the FS bike most of the time. Feel/look like they have more rubber contact on harder surfaces. 50a side tread makes up for lower side tread height
    Got some (now discontinued) Bontrager ACX TLR 2.2" (55/62a, 650g) on the way as something to ride in more sloppy conditions. Nevegals will go back on when it dries up a little

2* Advantage 2.25" 60a folding (660-700g depending on age of weight quote)
    As big as a 2.5" Single ply High Roller/Minion etc.., but lots lighter
    I think they're slower than the much more ramped (and smaller) high roller 2.35", especially on the road, but not sure by how much
    Make the bike feel very tall in corners, and a bit too round (side tread not big enough) to give decent cornering grip. Not sure how much of this is running too high pressures. Since started using thicker inner tubes that actually fit the size of these tyres, can now use more sensible pressures, need to retry at a trail centre to revalute cornering
    I like them in the peak/lakes for flat out over really rocky stuff tyre. Noticably much better cushioning over a 2.1" Nevegal or 2.35" High Roller
    May try 2.35" Nevegals in place, or 2.3" Specialized Eskars (55/65a)

2* High Roller 2.5" 60a Single Ply (Wire) = 880g (According to Just Riding Along), bought for an alps trip where I knew I'd be riding a few big ups (900m road up was the biggest, so chose the lower weight and ramps over a minion single ply 2.5", or a 42a Supertacky. It rained every other day onto soaked trails. Open, deep tread proved invaluable in those conditions (well as a compromise of slop and wanting big volume for monster braking bumps on a 5" bike). Way way better than a 2.35" Nevegal, or 2.4" Mountain king on a couple of hire bikes
    Took them again this year on much drier, harder trails. Although leant over conrering grip is decent (tall tread), they don't 'feel' that contected to the ground. Wire bead (instead of the folding bead of my 2.35"s) is noticably better for puncture protection). Not quick on the road at 35psi by any means. Bearable at 50-60psi
    Will probably try a Specialized Clutch SX 2.3" Single Ply (45/50a, 900-1000g) up front next time, with a part worn high roller rear or a Minion DHR 2.5" 60a Single Ply next time I get to go to the alps

Overall: I'm going off Maxxis, Often heavier, more expensive, no dual compound options (I know theres the £50 ea. 3C DH options), no middle ground between a touch hard 60a and super draggy 42a, not really finding anything (so far) as an all round trail tyre ..
    Need to try 2.35" 60a folding Minions probably. A touch heavy (~700g) and expensive, but could be good

EDIT: Jeez, this post is insanely long! Didn't realise until I saw it posted. Whoops ..

coogan
    Free Member

Summary?

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

HR Super Tacky on the front & HR 60a on the rear, both 2.35 on a Yeti 575.

hora
    Free Member

Larssen in this weather? 😯

mccett
    Free Member

Advantage front 2.1 on racey bike and 2.0 Larsen rear, and on the 456 Advantage 2.25 F (same as a HR 2.35 weirdly enough) and Minion 2.35 on rear.

Amazed how i have never taken the Larsens off no matter what the weather although i did try a Bonty Mud for a while and it def helped climbing. Otherwise, dry an dusty, rain, snow, Strathpuffer – all on Larsens and Advantages. Great tyres.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

medusa front, medusa rear.

vikingboy
    Free Member

I happened on the Ardent 2.25 up front and a Kenda Nevegal on the rear. Works really well as a pair and it might indicate a all maxxis pairing that would work well too. Ive got a Larssen to go on the rear when it dries up a bit.

robholland
    Free Member

Used to run supertacky high roller 2.35 on front and back for downhill stuff but then riding i find, minion front and back is good much quicker rolling, but also have used in the summer, advantage, 2.1 and 2.2

Dougal
    Free Member

Used a Rendez on the back for a few sticky races. Loads of grip, doesn't seem any slower than a Crossmark overall.

Summer: Ignitor front, Crossmark rear.
    Sticky: Ignitor front, Rendez rear.
    Mud: Medusa front and rear.
    Winter: Ignitor front, Highroller rear.

I have been known to run the Rendez on the front for steep courses (Inners british champs etc).

Racebike gets 62a on all above, other bike gets wirebeaded versions; the harder compound and extra weight make for great training.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Trail hardtail:

Summer/fun
    Front: HR 2.35 SPC kevlar
    Rear : HR SemiSlick 2.35 SPC Steel, or 2.4 Hollyroller DPC steel in the Peaks.

20-25psi.

That combo gets used pretty much all year, the rear although slick is predictable and doesnt pick up clag like knobblies do.

Winter
    F & R : Swampthing 2.1, pumpe upto arround 35-40psi to help them roll.

XC bike:

Summer : conti race king supersonics

winter : specialized storm

lunge

High Roller 2.35 60a Front
    ADvantage 2.25 60a back

Great combo, work really well for me year round.

soobalias
    Free Member

the hardtail is currently…

Minion DHF 2.35 (might be 60a, think is a folding, ghetto'd)
    Advantage 2.1 (wire, tubed)

BoardinBob

Bought 2.35 42a High Rollers for the front and back last week

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to test them out yet with this f*cking weather.

Jenga
    Free Member

Run ADvantage 2.1 front and rear all year round with tubes in. Can't remember the compounds. Work fine on my 575.

Paceman
    Free Member

Maxxpro 2.35 High Rollers front and back. 😀

May give Crossmarks a go this summer.

sv

Bought 2.35 42a High Rollers for the front and back last week

Good luck!

Thinking Ardent or Minion in 60a to pair up with my 60aHR.

steve_b77
    Free Member

At the moment the FS is running a 2.35" Maxxpro High Roller up front and a 2.1" eXCeption High Roller out back. Might try an ADvantage in 2.1" flavour out back at some point for a bit more volume as the 2.1" HR is a bit on the small side

In drier less rocky places I tend to run a 2.35" eXCeption Ignitor front and rear on the FS.

On the HT I run either 2.1" eXCeption Ignitors front and rear if it's really dry and dusty or 2.35" eXCeption Ignitors front and rear.

Oh yeah, on my commuter bike I run 28mm Detonators front and rear 😆

dobo
    Free Member

summer – monorails front and back
    winter – bonty mudx front and back
    winter race – rendez front and back
    rough and tumble – lust highroller front & lucky dip back..

I_Ache
    Free Member

High Roller Front Larson TT rear FTW!

Both 2.35 both 60a.

jonzo
    Free Member

How do all the Larsen users think they perform on wet grass?

2.35 60 minion front / small B8 2.35 rear ????????????????? speed and grip all year (well almost)

Why would u ride on grass ? must be mud by now ?

mccett
    Free Member

Larsens On wet grass really really fast in a straight line…. leave a wide run out margin in corners though. Fortunately, i can only think of couple places i ride that have wet grass, the first Ruthin Merida descent and approach to Cavedale/top bit if Mam Tor but thats in a straight line, other than that its rocky rooty stuff and they are fine. Worth the sketchy grass moments for the grip and speed everywhere else.

jonzo
    Free Member

Wet grass.. moorland.. you know?
    There is a bit of it about.

Those Larsens break loose quicker than Steve McQueen in the Great Escape!

BigJohn

I put a High Roller 2.1 on the front and was scared by how narrow it looked but it rides OK.

pinches
    Free Member

i tried to run larsens alround for two rides! they were ok (incredibly fast) but i managed to have a couple of washy moments with the front end in berms.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis tyre combos – tell me yours.’ is closed to new replies.