Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Marsden – Pule Hill
  • cheekyboy
    Free Member

Went for a bimble over Pule hill today, climbed the steep ascent from the back of the Carriage House pub then followed the rocky outcrop and then the path dropping back towards Marsden onto the A62 just before the first left turn into Marsden village.
    There were bike tracks in several spots but no indication as to what direction they came from, I have previously ridden up from the path that leads up through the quarry from the A62 just below the entrance to the Carriage House car park, we descended the steep path back down onto mount road, this is ok but would prefer to descend on the longer path from the top down towards Marsden.

Does any of the West Yorkshire massiv know of any other routes up ?

Cheers

mintimperial

Sounds to me like you’ve ridden it all already, there’s not much else up there as far as I know (after 10 years in Marsden).

The only really ridable way up is the incline past the railway chimneys. The best descent heads from the top of this over the moor towards the village to the square chimney, then down past the wooden cross and left at an old gate post on a tiny sheep track.

All the ways up and down from the village side require hopping over stiles or through farmyards, and are a bit crap on a bike anyway. The path that runs from the top of Mount Road parallel to the A62 is OK, mostly, but doesn’t really go anywhere useful.

jonnyrockymountain

There is another track that runs the opposite side of pule, basically if you get to the top of old mount road, turn right on the track/road (which leads to a few houses) before you get to the house you can turn of on a track that takes you to the top of pule, although it’s not a well used track not a bad little loop

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, @Mintimperial, yes it was towards that square chimney that I saw the bike tracks, will have a mooch up there soon.
    Have you ever done the descent from the top of Haigh hill down to the reservoir ?

mintimperial

It’s a good one that in the dry, couple of options at the bottom when you get to the res. Gets a bit boggy in winter though.

Didn’t know about jrm’s track, sounds like it would make a good loop, will have to explore next time I’m over that way… 🙂

stevedoc
    Free Member

There is a decent loop from Marsden out up shooters climb over Wessenden back over the rear of Pule and across the road (Pennine way) over Buckstones and down the pack horse trail back into Marsden around 20k and a good couple of cheeky descents around 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Marsden – Pule Hill’ is closed to new replies.