Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Manchester city centre pub recommendations
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m in Manchester on Saturday with no car and time for a few daytime drinks. Anybody got any recommendations for nice, none-chain run, real ale pubs in the city centre?

Started one of these threads when I was in Liverpool last year and you came up trumps with the Baltic Fleet and the Ship and Mitre, both wonderful. Any similar recommendations for Manchester?

peterfile
    Free Member

Marble Arch is one of my favourites.

Great food and beer.

wors

Sams chop house, Cask, knott bar…

acidchunks

Britons Protection is a top old school boozer: http://www.manchesterbars.com/britonsprotection.htm

Avoid the Grapes, unless you like looking at pictures of Liz Dawn (Vera Duckworth) and her showbiz pals (beer is shite anyway)

dooosuk
    Free Member

Port Street Beer House

martinhutch

I always liked a pint and an improbably large lump of cheese at the Mark Addy (which technically is in Salford…) but it looks like the place has changed considerably in recent years. Still good beers on tap though.

nbt

Cask near MOSI

The City Arms on Kennedy Street

konagirl
    Free Member

I’m sure this has come up a lot! +1 for all above recommendations.

Southern side of the city: Briton’s Protection for pies (its very small, Peveril is ok otherwise), Lass O’Gowry for good Black Sheep.

Northern Quarter (e.g. Marble Arch).

In the middle of town / Deansgate, I would go for the Chop House.

acidchunks

Briton’s Protection for pies

I’d argue that The Wellington does better pies, can’t remember what the beer is like though.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

You can do a nice little circuit starting either at the marble arch or the castle on oldham street, taking in bar fringe and the highfield hotel on swann street , all real ale pubs, all good,try the ginger ale in the marble, and their food is good

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

You can do a nice little circuit starting either at the marble arch or the castle on oldham street, taking in bar fringe and the highfield hotel on swann street , all real ale pubs, all good,try the ginger ale in the marble, and their food is good

peterfile
    Free Member

He’d be pretty pissed after doing two circuits though, mr potatohead

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I generally am

portlyone

Avoid the Chop House(s) they’re not great. Stay in the NQ if you have a choice:

Port Street Beer House, Castle, Marble Arch, Dusk til Pawn (for the American beers), Bakerie Pub (the restaurant is also nice) for fresh pies and beer… etc etc

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I think the Indy beer festival is this weekend, might be worth googling

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’m writing all these down now, cheers chaps.

buck53

My choices are Port St Beer House, Marble Arch, Fringe, Briton’s Protection all are good.

There’s a Brewdog bar off Deansgate, if that’s your thing, it’s a bit ‘try hard’ for my liking though.

Making myself thirsty here!

holster
    Free Member
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Manchester city centre pub recommendations’ is closed to new replies.