Home Forums Bike Forum Magura Vyron – yay or nay?

• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wool.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Magura Vyron – yay or nay?
  • Teapot
    Free Member

Building a new bike and thinking about fitting one of these, the main reason being so I can swap it easily with a regular seatpost which has the kids tagalong bracket fitted.

I think I can live with the time delay but after endless problems with Reverbs I can’t be doing with reliability problems!

I’ve spoken to one owner and he was less than happy with it but I’m keen to find out other people’s experiences.

JackHammer

Beware being an early adopter.

philjunior
    Free Member

No experience with that product, but pretty poor experience with Magura products over the years, I wouldn’t go for one myself.

Trimix
    Free Member

I’ve got one coming next week. I have a reverbs which are fine. One is integrated in my YT, one is external on my Scott.

I figured that Vyron is German and the shop told me it has a 5 year warranty. So I will take a punt based on quality German engineering, long warranty and the fact it will work in both bikes and I don’t have to worry about hoses/cables when it gets sent off for a service.

(I will still keep one Reverb as a spare for when it breaks or needs a service)

andysredmini
    Free Member

Sounds rubbish from what I have read. Mainly the delays in operation. I think it would be a pain to have to wait for it to drop and having to hold it in the position you want it to stop. Even when you get used to it i think it would just annoy me. The electric aspect doesn’t put me off just the implementation.

somafunk

Pinkbike has a review of the vyron dropper here

milky1980
    Free Member

Early buyers are reporting that the remote drops off regularly due to the rubber band fitment and the post loses air pressure (see the PB comments for examples). I’ll wait until the MkII comes out as the delay is a worry.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I don’t understand what he means by having to hold the seat down while you release the button to lock it in place. Don’t you just release the button with the seat at any height and it locks? How can you hover and hold it where you want it while riding?

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve had 4 rides on mine so far and it’s been great. Remote is secure as it gets.

The delay is quite small and after a few hours, I don’t notice it.

I leave it on when it’s on the roof of the car too!

Oh and they don’t have a 5 year warranty, only 2. I had it confirmed by Magura when I inquired.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I believe you can’t just let go of the button and remove your weight from the saddle. You need to keep pressure on the saddle in the desired position until the valve has closed to lock the post.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Ah OK that makes sense thanks. I’m not really liking that with the delay as well.

johnw1984
    Free Member

But by the time it has gone down to the desired position, it’s probably half a second before it locks again anyway.

Honestly, the slight delay is not a big deal. It just works slightly different than a cables or hose dropper.

Mine is usually all the way up or down either way, or if it’s a techy sort of climb, I’ll adjust and hold it in position for the 0.5 second it takes.

deanfbm
    Free Member

It goes up and down when I tell it. 2 months old now.

You’d have to be pretty special for the remote to fall off, remote is on there solid.

Is really handy swapping it between bikes in a minute or so.

ferrals
    Free Member

Really like the idea, easy to switch between posts, would be great for xc racers if they made a lightweight version with a bit less travel, standard post unless course is super technical

StuE
    Free Member

Mine is going back after 2 rides(losing air)

nickff
    Free Member

I have had mine for give months and only used it six times and has stopped working

nixie

Have you charged it?

jes
    Free Member

Had one for six months and……..

Brilliant concept
    Build quality is very good
    Price okayish
    Ability to swap between different bikes awsome.
    Its slightly long for one of my bikes which makes getting an inch drop from top a pain in the butt with the delay thing, cured by going with 160 cranks which also resolved a creaking issue so all good.
    The delay in the operation is not an issue except as described above.
    Remote is OK, cant see it falling off unless I crash, does rotate a bit with use.
    Charging frequency pretty good, maybe once every couple of months, must take care to ensure rubber seal is located securely.

Downside, first one stopped charging after a few months, this was during the summer with use on only dry rides so not water damage.

Refund from wiggle after 3 weeks, needed to go back to magura for assessment. Happy enough with function to buy a replacement.

Hope this helps :-)

trap6
    Free Member

I’ve just got one of these,opened box,charged up,synchronized both dropper/remote,but there seems too be 1mm of play,up/down ??
    Tried more or less air but still their,anybody else had this issue?

wool

Had one for a year and no problems,happy with the 5 year warranty if it all goes wrong.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Magura Vyron – yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.