Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Magicshine et all, bike light handlebar mounts?
  • z1ppy

I’ve always replaced the rubber band solution supplied with my Magicshine/Smudge light with one of these Electron handbar mounts (or similar):

You removed the top fitting from the mount and can unscrew the light bracket from the head unit. By adding a couple of spacers you can now screw the electron mount onto the bottom of the light headunit, and bobs your aunties live in lover, you have a much more stable mounting.

It seems everyone has been doing this, and all the spare electron mounts that will work, have sold out… so what anyone using as an alternative?

Jamie
    Free Member

You mean one of these?

Whoops. Out of stock.

z1ppy

yep annoying gits still use the same picture, and I even bought the “Electron EHP325/335” mount to try it out.. it’s of no use.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RustyMac

I had the same thing the other week, was too slow in getting a mount and can’t seem to find any on the interweb. Temporary fix implamented of a couple of free elastic bands courtisy of my postman.

The only alternative i have come up with so far is the lumucycle one
    http://www.lumicycle.com/product/214/qr_lrg/qr-large-camlock-bracket.html
    but at £10 i have not taken a punt on it yet as it seems quite a bit if it doesn’t fit.

My last thought was to wait untill trout had returned from his holiday and see if he was able to point me in a better direction as i have seen him use similar mounts on some of his development stuff

z1ppy

£10 does seem a bit steep, especially as the Electron ones were £2-3 for the same thing.
    I supposes there this Hope one slightly cheaper @ £8, I assume there a bolt hole to attached the light, as there a screw to fit some-where

brassneck

Bit of that super sticky 3M velcro a like on bars and light – the O ring mount is just fine with that added

z1ppy

I have done, well using electrical tape, but it not enough at full speed on very bumpy trail to stop it slipping IME, I prefer a more static solution

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve not experienced any noticable slippage when using the smaller of the two o-rings supplied. The larger one slipped a bit though (on O/S bars).

z1ppy

Obviously my god like riding style must just be too much for them… 😈

really if you like the rubber o-ring that greats, I want to replace it with something better 😐

Jamie
    Free Member

Just got an email reply from Electron, they are all out of the brackets and doesn’t sound like they will be getting anymore. Looks like once they are gone from remaining suppliers, they are gone.

z1ppy

I’d checked out the Elecron spares page & assumed it was a dead item unfortunately. Though cheers for the confirmation…

WTF is everyone using for their DIY projects?
    I even asked on MTBR and got all of zero replies out of 143 views…

Jamie
    Free Member

I am guessing people are protecting their supplies so the same doesn’t happen again :mrgreen:

luket

For what it’s worth – I know it’s expensive to buy on its own but I’ve taken the one off a now defunct lumicycle halogen light (5+ years old but it looks the same mount as on their website and has lasted v well) and it works well so far. The bolt hole is both deeper and wider (so a longer bolt plus washer would be a good thing – it’s only holding on 2 or 3 turns of the thread) but it sits securely for now and B&Q should solve that little problem.

z1ppy

I lie just had a MTBR reply… come on who is hoarding all the Marwi bar mounts?

My problem is that my only old light was a Lupine, that uses exactly the same silly rubber band mount as the Magicshine….

clubber
    Free Member

My DX one moves about a bit on my non-OS bars. I keep thinking that I’ll swap the mount for my old cateye one which always worked well.
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cateye-h-31-o-size-h-bar-bkt-32mm-id16003.html

Though actually it look like they’ve made a new one which is more QR

http://www.reveloutdoors.co.uk/Cateye-H34-Front-Flex-Tight-Bracket/accessorydetail/1-21589

Northwind

Halfords have one for their own-brand lights that looks like it’ll do. But the Electron one was so neat 🙁

z1ppy

Some good suggestions, gunna investigate them further, cheers guys.

BenjiM

I use the standard o ring and a strip of non slip matting wrapped around the bars. Works just fine.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Magicshine et all, bike light handlebar mounts?’ is closed to new replies.