Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Macc forest classic loop extension
  • edward2000
    Free Member

I would be grtateful if someone could advise me if its possible to extend this route a bit? I know the route well, but ive never ventured off it!

Singletrack Issue 77 Extras: Macclesfield Forest Route Guide

Thanks

Ed

nbt

At the bottom of Cumberland Clough, you can turn left and up past Crag Hall to the main road. From there a left turn will take you to the bridleway round the side of Tagsclough Hill and towards Gradbach – there’s a recognised route through there that leads you back towards Three Shires Head. You can then either just head back to cumberland clough on the road, or reverse your original route through three shires head. If you do this, turn left once you get back to the main road and it will bring you back to cumberland clough from the other side

AlexSimon

What time of day will you be doing it? 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    edward2000
    Free Member

Alex! Early sat morning. I do often do it after work though, sometimes in the dark 😉

HindlePie
    Free Member

Anyone ever tried this bit of cheekiness?

AlexSimon

Not quite sure what to say given that every extension I can think of is cheeky. You’ll have to use your own judgement.

That bit Hindle Pie shows is the classic Cumberland Clough cheeky descent.
    It’s techy and great. Not many walkers on it either.
    39 seconds in this video is one of 2 techy bits (in bivvy mode).
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZqZtHnTyO8[/video]

This is the full descent from 6:15 in this video (in downhill mode)
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV6NisQuaAY[/video]

In terms of lengthening the first ride.
    Plenty of options into the Goyt Valley. That would add a biggish descent and biggish climb.
    If you like technical descents, then Stakeside is a cracker.
    If you prefer something smoother, then the switchbacks down to Errwood Hall are good too.
    You can cut across straight from the top of the Derbyshire Bridge/Buxton Roman Road to drop straight into the top of 3 Shires. A lot of the descent is double-track though.

There’s absolutely tons of stuff, but as mentioned – mostly cheeky.

spacey

Hindle Pie, that looks interesting, contours look enticing be good to hear how it rides.

OP there is a nice little extension as you reach the gate out of the forest from the fire road climb, it zig zags down into Tegs Country Park. The black dashed line here

AlexSimon

There are also lots of lines opening up through the forest, but they are pretty hard to describe. If you notice a load of tyre tracks going off the track, then it’s worth exploring 🙂

edward2000
    Free Member

Alex do you ride there in the evening? If you could show me some of the extra stuff sometime in the coming weeks id be really grateful.

AlexSimon

Yep – that sounds like a plan.
    Where do you live?

edward2000
    Free Member

Alex, I live in south Manchester. My email is in my profile.

HindlePie
    Free Member

I’d be interested in this too if I could tag along? I was up there on foot the other week and found a few bits near the DH track.

christhetall
    Free Member

Here’s a route I did last year

Strava link

Started off with the singletrack loop, then went south and did some great stuff around the Gradbach and the Roaches.

I found this map really useful bikemap link

AlexSimon

Hindle Pie – I’ve sent an email to Edward, can you email me (mail in profile).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Macc forest classic loop extension’ is closed to new replies.