Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Lower Mans next for the sanitisers!! (Pic Helvellyn)
  • GaVgAs
    Free Member

Helvellyn today,ride it quick before it gets trashed! 😥 😯

kaesae
    Free Member

What exactly is that. What are all those black things on the track?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it's a mountain

mr_mills
    Free Member

The black things are discarded bags of rusty old bearings.

boxelder

Bags of big sharp rocks for setting in the ground to make a path with lots of wee steps, so that walkers don't trip over.

Kaesae – the Kona bearings arrived, Ta (disappointingly shiny and new too!).

GaVgAs
    Free Member

rofalmao at mr_mills and sfb! 😀

Talkemada
    Free Member

it's a mountain

No it's not, it's a hill.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

correct, it's a hill near the top of a mountain…

grumm
    Free Member

A hill that's got snow on it in May.

Talkemada
    Free Member

There are no mountains in England. I've been up Helvellyn. There's a car park about 200 ft below the summit ffs.

grumm
    Free Member

There's a car park about 200 ft below the summit ffs.

Really? Please tell me whereabouts so I can get a lift up there with my bike and ride down Dollywagon/Grisedale without having to bother with most of the climb 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well I don't know, but I walked from a little car park just a couple of miles walk from the summit, so it can't be too far away.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Rubbish idea…might as well plock pave it in a front garden car park style.

boxelder

Talkemada

You're right you know about the hill/car park thing.

What would Gavgas and grumm know about it – they've probably never been.

(I suspect you're thinking of Latrigg and Skiddaw though)

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

What, there's a car park 200 feet below the summit of Skiddaw?

****, If I'd known I wouldn't have had to bother walking so far.

boxelder

What, there's a car park 200 feet below the summit of Skiddaw?

****, If I'd known I wouldn't have had to bother walking so far.

Hey, he said there is, so who's to argue

Talkemada
    Free Member

No, I said there's a little car park not all that far from the summit of Helvellyn. 200ft might be an exaggeration, but it's not that far. Hour's walk or so?

Don't kid yourselves Helvellyn's a mountain ffs, it's not.It's just a big hill. There are no proper mountains in England. Ask French Juan- he'll tell you. Mountains are pointy jaggedy things what are dangerous. Helvellyn has families with kids, and old folk all over it. Scotland and Wales have some mountains. Especially Scotland. Not England.

trailmonkey

Ask French Juan- he'll tell you

Yep that's who I normally source when I want an objective view of England.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

No, I said there's a little car park not all that far from the summit of Helvellyn. 200ft might be an exaggeration, but it's not that far. Hour's walk or so?

He means Greenside Mine, there's a small road from Glen Rhydding which gets you upto about 300m and to the YHA hostel, then you walk the remaining 625m (approx 2000ft).

grumm
    Free Member

Don't really care what you call it – but there's plenty of pointy jaggedy bits on Helvellyn where you could hurt yourself. I've ridden my bike at 3300m but riding down Dollywagon/Grisedale is about as challenging as most of the stuff I've ridden in the Alps – there's just a lot more of it there.

Great place anyway

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The car park at Greenside mine is 10018 feet above sea level,making the last 2000 feet a short walk from the car 😉

Mountains are pointy jaggedy things what are dangerous. Helvellyn has families with kids, and old folk all over it. Scotland and Wales have some mountains. Especially Scotland. Not England.

The problem with Mountains in the Lakes is that they are so much more accessable than bigger mountain ranges (Scotland,Alps etc) due to the very good network of Bridleways,footpaths,and yes roads.

Imho this makes them MORE dangerous not less,due to the variable types and age groups of people using them.

We just got over the summit yesterday when the cloud came in and within a few minutes the temperature dropped and it started snowing!

There were lots of people up there with day sacks,shorts and T shirts,trainers etc 🙄

Talkemada
    Free Member

The car park at Greenside mine is 10018 feet above sea level,making the last 2000 feet a short walk from the car

??? Helvellyn is suddenly over 12000 feet high?? 😯

Whatever the figures; it took us an hour or so to walk from a little car-park, to the top. Pretty easy walk too. Got to top, had a look about, had a ciggie, walked down again. Got to car, went to pub. Had more fun.

Oh, and we walked up there in jeans and trainers. Mate had a leather bomber jacket on.

**** 'mountain'; my arse it is! 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The car park at Greenside mine is 10018 feet above sea level,making the last 2000 feet a short walk from the car

Friggin 'ell, stop the press, Helvellyn now 12018ft exclusive!. I think that makes it a touch higher than the Eiger. 😉

trailmonkey

**** me Turkey, is there no limit to the list of things that you can talk out of your butt about ?

duir
    Free Member

Talkemada

I am certain you are just winding us up, if not you are making yourself look very silly. You are making incorrect statements about one of the most classic MOUNTAIN bike rides in the UK.

Go ride with some of the Lake District regulars, Max springs to mind. He will bitch slap you all the way up and down the non-mountain Helvellyn and then back up again……cos he can.

[/url]http://vimeo.com/3186895

Talkemada
    Free Member

He will bitch slap you all the way up and down the non-mountain Helvellyn and then back up again……cos he can.

Really? I'd rather not ride with someone like that, tbh. I'm more into enjoying myself… 🙄

Keep yer knickers on girls. I'm just pointing out that Helvellyn is little more than a big hill, and whilst I am sure it could be reasonably strenuous on a bike, it's hardly Alpine, is it? It's a recreational route, not an epic challenge. The numbers of families etc out for a Sunday stroll (as we were) testify to this.

Anyway, tell your mate Max I'll be waiting at the top for him, smoking a cig… 😉

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Thanks again for the warning Gav – had a blast down there this morning. Shame if Fix The Fells ruin it.

amodicumofgnar

What exactly is that. What are all those black things on the track?

Lift bags – black so they blend in, no really, prob full of pitching stone. Cant really do anything else with a slope of that angle.

lowey

Hmmm… real shame that. I didnt think that the erosion was particularly pronounced on Lower Man. Nowhere near as bad as Dollywagon was.

Hope they are a bit more sympathetic to bike users when they pitch it. I thought Dollywagon was way above my comfort level. Still, suppose some technical gods will enjoy it. (Max for example, probably on a hardtail Kona just to show off

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Should just make the fücking redsocks walk barefoot. That would reduce the boot induced erosion, wouldn't it!

Eccles
    Free Member

There's a car park at the top of Mont Ventoux, and it seems it's often full of drunk Dutchmen. On that basis I'd suggest that the Alps are, in fact, a canal.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Who do I vote for to make our mountains more mountainy?

glenh
    Free Member

Can I just point out that anything you can ride you bike down doesn't really classify as a proper mountain, even if it is high above the sea. 😉

grumm
    Free Member

There is no universally-accepted definition of a mountain. Elevation, volume, relief, steepness, spacing and continuity has been used as criteria for defining a mountain.[1] In the Oxford English Dictionary a mountain is defined as "a natural elevation of the earth surface rising more or less abruptly from the surrounding level and attaining an altitude which, relatively to the adjacent elevation, is impressive or notable."[1]

In the United States, the following points of measurement have been used and taught in geography classes:[citation needed]

* Flat to 500 feet, base to highest point – Rolling Plain
    * Highest point 501 to 999 feet above base – Hill
    * Highest point 1000 feet or more above base – Mountain

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Think it might well be worth someone in the area dropping an Email to the council reminding them of their duty to ensure that any work done is safe and passable for horses rather than just redsocks, otherwise they'll probably put steps all along it!

yoda
    Free Member

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Eccles – Member
    There's a car park at the top of Mont Ventoux, and it seems it's often full of drunk Dutchmen. On that basis I'd suggest that the Alps are, in fact, a canal

Is Ventoux an alp? Last time I was there it was in Provence?

mAx_hEadSet

That shot of Hughey Grant is taken on the downhill course at Moelfre… fact, infact the uplift road was partly funded by money from the film that needed to get the faux summit on the shoulder of the hill built for filming.

Mt Ventoux an Alp, Mt Tam will be in the Andes next.

love these threads that loose the plOT and fray at the edges.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Lower Mans next for the sanitisers!! (Pic Helvellyn)’ is closed to new replies.