Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Low level ride Aviemore area?
  • IainAhh
    Free Member

I am thinking of stopping at Aviemore / Rothiemurchus for a couple of hours on the way up to Inverness on Wednesday.

Could anyone suggest a low down ride in that area. Looking at the ski forecast it looks like it will be pretty wild higher up, high winds.

Suggestions?

druidh
    Free Member

Glenmore – Sluggan – Nethybridge – Forest Lodge – Ryvoan – Glenmore

Other than that, get lost round the south side of Loch Morlich, take in Loch an Eilean.

screamingtree
    Free Member

Second the above, I stayed in Nethy Bridge in the summer and did this route, It could be pretty boggy in the forest at this time of year though

matt_outandabout

Third the above.

somafunk

Pop into Bothy Bikes (brill shop, excellent staff) out Dalfabour rd and pick up a copy of trailmap #2 along wi a few energy bars as you might need them if the wind is blowing a hoolie through the glens , this map covers Gleann Einich, Inshriach, Feshiebridge, Glen Feshie all for the princly sum of £2.00 and covers a multitude of trails round Loch an Eilein/Loch Gamhna and down to feshibridge which being low level and sheltered may escape the worst of the wind.

PS – Don’t be tempted to try the Loch/Glen Einich route if it’s blowing a hoolie, you’ll have a 50mph headwind all the way out, and a frightening or fun (dependant on bike handling skills) 50mph tailwind for 4miles downhill on the way back.

Lucky…lucky bugger……I’d be perfectly happy to live up that way in a shed (heated of course) just so i could ride the trails and hills and soak in the views all day.

tomd
    Free Member

I did the ride up Glen Einich yesterday. The scenery is fantastic (even by Cairngorm standards) and makes a good (but not technical) ride. The navigation is easy, and the track is good all the way. There was some ice but not enough to cause a problem. The head wind becomes a tail wind on the way back so not a huge probelm (unless it’s a proper gale).

It’s 24km out and back, climbing from ~200m above see level to ~500m at Loch Einich. It should take 2-4hrs depending on fitness. The navigation is very easy, head out of Aviemore towards Glenmore. Just at Coylumbridge take the track on your right at the campsite. Follow for 12km to Loch Einich (there are wooden sign posts at infrequent intervals), gawp at scenery and come back. Fantastic.

druidh
    Free Member

How was the river crossing?

Northwind

I don’t know the right names, but Bothy Bikes have a map of a little network of trails near the Badaguish outdoor centre- nothing very high, and though the climb’s exposed most of the trails are in mature trees. Nice for a short blast and you can loop it.

They’re super mega secret though and you’re not allowed to tell anyone about it, unless it’s for money 😉

tomd
    Free Member

There’s a shonky bridge over the main river crossing, it looks fairly new but has a sign saying “max three people”. There were a few streams and a smaller river crossing which were all rideable and had stepping stones should you not wish to have a bash. It looked like the track up the glen had had quite a bit of repair and improvement works done recently with some resurfaced sections and new drainage.

tomd
    Free Member

Loch Einich

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Low level ride Aviemore area?’ is closed to new replies.