Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • LoveFilm on the PS3
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Anyone use it?

I used to use love film but stopped it a little while ago. This new app on the PS3 look pretty smart though – you seem to be able to stream films direct (a couple of thousand and growing they’re claiming) with unlimited viewing for £10 / month (I appreciate that these will be older films). Plus it lets you organise lists and things on your PS3.

I’m tempted to go back to them.

rOcKeTdOg

no, but i like the idea

GW
    Free Member

was wondering about this myself.. We do Blockbuster postal DVD rental thing just now. and it’d be handy to let the kids choose what film they want each time rather than stick them on a list in advance and not know what’s coming but it sounds a bit shit for us (adults)if it’s only older films.

grievoustim
    Free Member

bad news

I subscribe to love film , and have a PS3 so tested it out as soon as I could.

I have streamed films from love film before on the laptop – and been impressed

but on my 37″ TV the picture is far too low res – it looks far worse than non-HD TV through my virgin box.

I tested it out on “The Mist”, I may test another to be sure, but I’m used to watching films on DVD and Blu Ray. Love Film don’t charge any extra to rent Blu Rays over DVDs, so for now I’m happy to wait to get the discs in the post.

Shame cos I really like the idea of having a big library of films to choose from and watch whenever I like

iain1775
    Free Member

if this is the app I think it is then it seemed to be mainly arthouse and more obscure world films, not many ‘blockbusters’

jon1973
    Free Member

Shame cos I really like the idea of having a big library of films to choose from and watch whenever I like

This is the thing that I liked the sound of. I ripped all my dvd and now have them on a HDD on the network and can be streamed using a media server on the PC on the PS3. Works really well (I have over 300 films to select from) although my TV is only a 32″ CRT, so I’m not sure what it would be like on a 40″ LCD or something.

Was hoping The LoveFilm feature on the PS3 would extend that somewhat.

jon1973
    Free Member

if this is the app I think it is then it seemed to be mainly arthouse and more obscure world films, not many ‘blockbusters’

The advert demos it with ‘I am Legend’ so I thought it would be more mainstream (older) films.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have a Sony BD player so not sure if it is exactly the same app, but the films I have streamed have had no issues with quality. No issues with freezing/buffering using an 8Mb line. I use network powerline adapters so it is wired to my router through the mains rather than wireless.

On the downside I’ve yet to be really wowed by the selection. Occasionally they do a new release FOC but generally the new stuff is pay-per-view. The “included in package” films are, shall we say, of variable merit 😕

grievoustim
    Free Member

I only had a quick look – but there are plenty of films to choose from I think – and I expect they will be adding more over time

they charge extra for the brand new films

glenh
    Free Member

bad news

I subscribe to love film , and have a PS3 so tested it out as soon as I could.

I have streamed films from love film before on the laptop – and been impressed

but on my 37″ TV the picture is far too low res – it looks far worse than non-HD TV through my virgin box.

That’s entirely expected in my opinion. There’s no way they could stream anything close to DVD quality – it just wouldn’t work over most peoples connections.

What’s it like in comparison to iplayer?

grievoustim
    Free Member

the movie I watched was far worse than iplayer.

iplayer via my virgin box is very good – especially the HD content

I am going to give it another go though – I have Virgin broadband, so in theory bandwidth shouldn’t be an issue. Howeber I did test it at around tea time, which is the peak time for broadband usage.

I’m going to give it another go a bit later in the evening and see if quality improves. i will report back

grievoustim
    Free Member

oh, I can’t really comment on how it compares with iplayer via the PS3 as I never use this

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I find it is as good as iPlayer, which I find much higher quality using the Sony app than I ever did on my laptop. I used to get constant buffering issues on my laptop, but both Love Film and iPlayer are as watch-able as broadcast TV, if not quite as classy as (upscaled) DVD

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Update to this. Sony have just released a new app for Qriosity, which is a “pay-per-view” movie streaming site. If you don’t watch loads of films each month and feel you don’t get your money’s worth from LoveFilm, this service offers films on a pay-per-view basis at DVD rental prices (£3.49 for a new release). More importantly the film selection looks a bit more – shall I say – contemporary. I certainly think it is a better selection than LoveFilm’s online offering.

I shall be watching Hot Tub Time Machine this weekend 😀

chrispy

Where’s the new app for Qriosity? I can’t find it anywhere?

shreck
    Free Member

uner the vid tab on your xbm nothing need to download took me a bit to find it too thought it would be in the psn store or via a update.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

From the home screen it was very obvious – I didn’t have to go looking for it. It even had its own menu. I have a Sony BD player and not a PS3 so it must be different.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘LoveFilm on the PS3’ is closed to new replies.