Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Looking for a bit of guidance – Winter Togs
  • Neil-S
    Free Member

Well it looks like summer is most definitely over.

Over winter, I’ve always worn my normal riding jerseys with an eVent jacket over the top (Pace or Endura).

eVent is supposedly the holy grail of fabrics, but both my jackets wet out rather than beading up, washing with NikWax Tech Wash and reproofing with TX Direct improves things but only for a couple of rides.

I also sweat pretty heavily so end up soaking on the inside too.

I’m thinking about trying a merino baselayer, then a softshell jacket and only resorting to a thin waterproof jacket (probably goretex) when it actually rains. I’m hoping this will breathe better so I don’t end up soaking wet when I start to sweat, keep out the wind and the odd light shower, plus be easier to care for in terms of washing.

It looks like there’s plenty of choice when it comes to baselayers, but I’d appreciate some advice on softshells. I’ve been looking at the Gore Countdown, which looks really well made but note that Endura do a couple too. I’ve had Endura stuff in the past, it seems to work well but sadly doesn’t last very long so am a bit wary. Is there anything else worth considering? Rab maybe?

Also any advice on lightweight waterproof jackets would be much appreciated. I’m oping to get my warmth from the softshell rather than the waterproof, so pack size, weight and breathability are more important than warmth here.

Cheers!

Neil.

Neil-S
    Free Member

Bump! 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m always too hot in a waterproof jacket unless it’s really cold (and even then heat up too much on climbs). I don’t think it matters how breathable the jacket is I just produce too much moisture. Add to that that you don’t want to wash them too often, they work less well when dirty and I bet you don’t run mudguards as you don’t like the look of them.

(most) Softshell fabric is supposed to be waterproof so won’t breathe any better (and likely worse) than your Event.

My approach in winter is a merino base layer, a thermal layer (that isn’t windproof) and then a windvest. That way you can regulate your temperature much more during a ride. If it gets rains you put the waterproof on over the baselayer and stash the rest.

Something like this Gore top – http://tiny.cc/6tgq5
    and this Endura windvest – http://tiny.cc/o22wc

I’ve just got an Endura Windchill jacket – softshell front and front of arms so windproof and probably ok in a shower, thermal back of arms and back – which is a similar idea in that you keep the wind off your front and make the rest as breathable as possible. Was lovely with a thin baselayer at 3-5C last week but far too warm at closer to 10C. http://tiny.cc/7hke2

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

I have decided that any jacket without pitzips is next to useless for mtb-ing for me at least.

I bought a cheap as chips softshell from Decathlon last winter with pitzips. Other than the lurid lime green colour it been my best mtb kit buy for ages.
    Waterproof enough that I haven’t been soaked, though we saw very little rain over the winter locally. It’s only a single thin layer but lovely & warm, and using the pitzips/frontzip the internal temperature can be kept within reasonable through out winter rides.
    Wouldn’t use it during the spring/autumn but still nothing perfect.

To summarize that, pitzips & softshells get my recommendations

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’m interested in this no less because I’ve just bought 2 new jackets.

I can vouch for Columbia – Crag Mountain 2 softshell[/b]. very warm, very water and windproof. I had my first one for 7 years but changed it 2 weeks ago.

I cannot vouch for Altura Nightvision waterproof. Only last night I was soaked in my ‘waterproof’ from the outside. Rain soaked through the shoulders and wetteed me out. Now £45 is not much but the point is if it says ‘waterproof’ it should be!

hora
    Free Member

Am I going to be the first to say British Army DPM?

Neil-S
    Free Member

Looks like it Hora. Not sure a pattern will help with breathability but thanks anyway!

UK-FLATLANDER

I’ve been using an Icepeak Softshell for a few winters, seems to work as well as the more expensive ones I’ve owned, but at a fraction of the price.

http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/outdoor_gear/info_57806_990_929-Icepeak-Leander-Softshell-Jacket.html

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a bit of guidance – Winter Togs’ is closed to new replies.