Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Longest Downhill in the Lakes
  • fizzer
    Free Member

After reading Gavgas’ post on Facebook & then seeing his thread ‘Longest downhill in the Lakes’ on here I decided to go have a look. How to get there remained a logistical problem, the proposed route involved pushing/carrying over Great Calva but I wanted something where I could ride all the way. Out to the North, then.

I left Keswick by the old railway to Threlkeld

And soon I was on my way up onto the moor

Random rider I met en route, if you’re reading this pal sorry for shooting off but I had a lot of ground to cover & people to meet

This place looks familiar, & I’ll be back again later in the day

Headed off towards the river Caldew along some delightful singletrack Skid Row behind in the distance

Followed the road out of Mosedale and round to Calebreck where there were some wild(ish) horses on the common

Left the road at Calebreck to climb up to disused mine workings at Stoney Bank then dropped down to Nether Row. No famous mountaineers around today however the garden could do with a trim!

Looking back to Nether Row from the slopes of High Pike

Long climb commenced up grassy singletrack to the Lingy Hut

And onto Knott, highest point in Back o’ Skidda country

More grass ST led to Great Sca Fell & Little Sca Fell and so to the longest downhill in the Lake District

3 3/4 miles later the first gate is encountered at the road in Longlands

Then commenced a road stretch to the start of the track to Whitewater Dash, looking back towards here to Great Sca Fell, hard to believe I was up there not many minutes ago

Over Water with Binsey behind

I was supposed to meet up with the Boggies around here on their Tour of Skiddaw ride but I was late and found them up at the top of the zig-zags having a lunch break.

It was nice to have some company after the empty moors as we set off on the return leg and crossed the infant Caldew, the lowest I’ve ever seen it

Skid Row again, becoming a bit of a habit

Heading to Lonscale

Looking across to the Dodds & Helvellyn, scene of last week’s adventure

The route to Skiddaw but not for me today. Phew!

We shot down Spooney Green Lane to Keswick, sorry no pics great descent.

Another great day out in the Lakes 59km 1842m ascent NO punctures, (well not me anyway) and some super new trails. Now what about next week’s route…

BenjiM

Nice ride, I could do with the gpx if ya have it 😉

fizzer
    Free Member

I can do a MMO if that is any good mate

mr_mills
    Free Member

Oooh can I have it too? 🙂

lowey

You Sir, are a complete bastard, rubbing my nose in it.

Click to read my account of our efforts to ride this last Sunday.

As our ride descended into further depths of chaos, I remember swearing profusely at the memory of your pictures.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Dave don't dizz the Fizz or he'll deck ya!

clareymorris

Ah hahhh that's why we did Great Sca Fell on Sunday ;-D

FOG

What's the bridleway like that drops down from Burn Tod to the road nr. Orthwaite? Is it possible to link up from the top of Knott without major navigational heebie jeebies? It always looks tempting when I am in the area but don't want to get involved in Mtn Rescue situation!

fizzer
    Free Member

'Don't dizz the Fizz' – like it 😀

Lowey, reading your report brought a smile to my face thinking of my dry warm trip on dusty singletrack lol

lowey

Cheers mate… your all heart! 😆

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Fog,Its easy to follow just stay along side the beck/gully and (at the col) head left up a carry onto the knott. 😉

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Nice write up Lowey,I will gladly take you round next time,maybe my directions were a bit crap!

You had a "proper" adventure though,with plenty of incidents! and thats one thing I love about a great days mountainbiking. 😉

trout
    Free Member

Sound like a good un on a good day .
    Slight hijack for GaVgas I could do with picking your brains a bit
    I am having some mates from Germany over next year for a weeks riding in the lakes so am looking for half a dozen ace routes I know the favourite big ones but its the detail in the smaller ones that benefit from local Knowledge , I would like to show them the best the lakes have to offer .
    I was going to contact you be email but have a new puter and have lost your address

fishboy
    Free Member

Nice work and great pics!

Ridden around there quite often but have tended to stick to the usual "Back O'Skiddaw" route using the mine tracks / Longlands / Dash Falls / Caldew, or up High Pike / Carrock. Will have to investigate the alternatives – look bloody good!

fizzer
    Free Member

Might be as well to wait for the next dry spell, my route past the Lingy hut would be an absolute 'mare in the wet.

Lowey, you know I'm only taking the p1ss mate, I would have loved to have been doing battle with you against the elements. Next time maybe?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Fizzer
    I did the sca fell decent on Sunday with Clarey Morris,It was completley different in the wet,still fun though just very sketchy and much slower.

I think it would make a good long climb from Longlands to the Knott and then the Bridleway decent via Burn Todd to the road (in the wet) as doing it that way theres more rocky singletrack decending via the gully,and its much less exposed on the first part, offering better protection from the wind and rain. 😉

ygm troutie 😉

fizzer
    Free Member

I was out that way Sunday myself but I was walking with Gill. We drove round through Orthwaite, Longlands etc. I looked up at the route & wondered if anyone was riding it. Must have been a bit nervy on that wet grass ST.

Think I'm gonna check out that Worm gill descent weekend after next, see if it lives up. Report/pics to follow.

lowey

Gav, no probs with navigation, I just made a wrong call for the escape. Loved it though, nothing like facing adversity in the face on the fells.

wors

Dave in navigation fail. LOL

boxelder

What I failed to notice was the wonderful singletrack bridleway descending to our west, which would have provided wonderful riding and a route to the foot of the Dash Falls Bridleway

Yes, it's great is that bit – technical at first, then pleasant, then smooth and faaaast

GaVgAs
    Free Member

http://vimeo.com/13373030

Heres the view from the Knott Lowey,(You missed nowt really!!….. lol)Blencathra (Sharp edge) at 009 centre of screen 0013 Glendattera behind rider 0016 Skiddaw 0023 Sca fell Bridleway 8)

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Think I'm gonna check out that Worm gill descent weekend after next, see if it lives up. Report/pics to follow.

Fizzer – Andy k investigated a while a go – might be worth a chat:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lank-rigg-loop-parkedtiger-pay-attention

fizzer
    Free Member

hmmmm – maybe not so good an idea

parkedtiger
    Free Member

It'd be such a drag to ride out there from here (Keswick), and with so many (far far better) routes between here and there, I doubt I'll ever get around to checking it out ! Wet grassy descents scare me anyway – give me good firm slate any day of the week 🙂

Rifty
    Free Member

Looks like an ace route – can I have the mmo too please fizzer. It was 100% rideable then, no carrying ? How technical is the descent ?

Cheers !

fizzer
    Free Member

NO carries but it was very dry, even the bit from Lingy Hut to Knott. However….wet ground will be very very different. The descent to Nether Row I would not recommend just stay on the miners track. Even in the dry it was hard going.

The main descent off Great Sca Fell has little in technicalities, just fast grassy singletrack which goes on & on & on. Its mega fun though top grin factor 😀

Will try to send MMOs later tonight.

fizzer
    Free Member

Rifty – YGM

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Longest Downhill in the Lakes’ is closed to new replies.