Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • long shot, but can you identify this bird
  • rOcKeTdOg

captured by the cam by accident on this mornings commute
    top right hand corner (posting link so you can get a magnified version rather than the standard usually allowed)
    365/88 29/3/11

allthepies
    Free Member

Baby Robin

mikey3
    Free Member

Buzzard??

rOcKeTdOg

nearest i’ve got on the RSPB bird identifier website is a sparrow hawk, but that’s not definate if anyone knows better

nbt

Looks too big to be a sparrowhawk but at that resolution I can’t be sure

carbon337
    Free Member

+1 Buzzard I think.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Difficult to tell how far away it is, but looks to big and wrong wing shape for a sparrowhawk. My guess would be buzzard or osprey

carbon337
    Free Member

Did it have white markings under its wings?

Like this:

rOcKeTdOg

NO idea colour, I only noticed it when looking at pics on the cam and because of the sun it’s just a silhouette

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Could be a Hen Harrier, get a few round here and looks fairly similar

molgrips
    Free Member

Whilst the twitchers are on this therad… I had a good view of a bird of prey yesterday but no pics unfortunately.

It was falcon/kestrel shaped (accipiter?), quite big – as big a wingspan as a buzzard maybe but more slighly built. It had a long rectancular tail, not appearing forked like a Kite. It was white underneath but the ends of the wings look like they’d been dipped in black ink.

In Central Europe btw.

EDIT: Hen Harrier maybe…

Beagleboy

Rocketdog, I’d say it’s almost definitely a Buzzard. We’ve got bucket loads of them in Stirligshire, and most of them tend to circle above me. They have a distinctive ‘v’ shape to their wings when soaring.

Molegrips, sounds like a Kestrel to me.

Beagy.

p.s. I am not a twitcher. However , when I did my Ecology degree, the department was overflowing with staff who were. So I had to learn a wee bit about birdies. The things you do for an educashun eh’?

DezB
    Free Member

You chaps who are saying it’s a bird of prey must have great resolution PC screens! It looks like a crow to me.

rOcKeTdOg

do you get buzzards in quite urban areas?, although this was over fields it’s not far from a quite built up and industrial area

molgrips
    Free Member

Molegrips, sounds like a Kestrel to me

I know kestrels in my sleep – this was about three times the size for a start.

RD yes you do get them in urban areas. We get them over our house in a new build jungle on the edge of Cardiff – their territory is the woods that forms the power line exclusion zone, completely hemmed in by houses and factories.

Milkie
    Free Member

Well I’m going with a Bird of Prey! Do I win!? 😆

We get quite a few Buzzards and Sparrowhawks in the town and surrounding area, quite often see 3+ a day in the summer.

j_me
    Free Member

rd – Can’t tell. Have a look at a Goshawk on the RSPB site.

molgrips – male hen harrier? Typically fly close to the ground, greyish back and black wing tips. Females are brown with a distinctive whit bar at the base of the tail.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezukMvpzcm0[/video]

PS -I’m not a twitcher honest!

Houns

Will be a buzzard RD. Often see them over Redditch, also had one circling high above us in Stourbridge yesterday

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, that looks like what I saw. It flew about 10ft over my head as I was riding along – guessing that it knew it had to clear the road.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

It will not be a hen harrier – they are as rare as rocking horse pooh. If it’s near an urban area will not be an osprey either. Therefore either buzzard or red kite. Whereabouts are/were you

DezB
    Free Member

I’m sticking with crow

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m in Bavaria. And it was in no way a buzzard. Not shaped like one, nor was it coloured like one. I’ve seen thousands of buzzards, even saw three or four on the same ride!

And it was definitely not a red kite either. Seen hundreds of those. Wrong colour, wrong shape, wrong size and wrong tail.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Looks like Dave. Characteristic tail feathers.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

It will not be a hen harrier – they are as rare as rocking horse pooh

Not here (Cambridgeshire) there not, quite often see them over fields ten minutes walk from my house

Get plenty of Buzzards too, very distinctive call gives them away and they are bigger than the Hen Harrier too

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I’m in Bavaria. And it was in no way a buzzard. Not shaped like one, nor was it coloured like one. I’ve seen thousands of buzzards, even saw three or four on the same ride!

And it was definitely not a red kite either. Seen hundreds of those. Wrong colour, wrong shape, wrong size and wrong tail.

Don’t understand how you can be so certain of shape and colour from that photo which is a tiny silouette. And if it’s neither of those what do you reckon it is?

Crow might be a good shout – would have needed to see it flying to see the wing beat pattern. From the photo you can’t tell if it was beating its wings or gliding

DezB
    Free Member

CaptM – Molgrips is talking about the bird he saw. It’s getting bloody confusing. Mol’s was probably a budgie.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, sorry, totally hijacked the thread and also failed to provide pics which makes it even more confusing for the skimmers 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Ah – my humble apologies for trying to help out the OP

rOcKeTdOg

Area is north worcestershire

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It doesn’t look like a bird to me.

plumber
    Free Member

buzzard to me

goon
    Free Member

Your pic looks more like a raven DezB. Which the OP’s bird could be, but doubtful in Worcestershire. I’d say buzzard.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Cessna?

glenh
    Free Member

Looks like a duck to me.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nah, it’s a lot smaller. Looks like a moth to me.

mysterymove
    Free Member

definitely photoshop at work

trailmonkey

While we’re on the subject can anyone identify these two mystery birds that keep pecking on our back door looking for handouts ?

Scrounging scum.

P1010891 by trailmonkey, on Flickr

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

can anyone identify these two mystery birds

I think the one on the right is called Dave. I don’t recognise the other one though.

yunki
    Free Member

trailmonkey

no the one on the right is definately not a dove 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘long shot, but can you identify this bird’ is closed to new replies.