Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Long Mynd or Afan?
  • ruscle
    Free Member

My birthday week so get to ride where I want as long as can convince my riding buddies! My choices are in the title. I would prefer the Long Mynd as like more natural riding and very rarely visit trail centres as not a real fan, but my friends I think would prefer the no brain approach of Afan as I have only ever been to the Long Mynd once so we would have to do some navigating. I’m thinking of doing the route in the last mag, is this worth it or is their any other recommendations? Otherwise it would be the W2 and then back up the wall climb and down the skyline descent. Travel wise their about the same as were going from Swindon (that mtb mecca!!) Cheers in advance for any input..

james
    Free Member

“My birthday week so get to ride where I want .. I would prefer the Long Mynd as like more natural riding and very rarely visit trail centres as not a real fan .. I have only ever been to the Long Mynd once”
    Theres your answer

The Long Mynd not only has the obvious bridleway signs to direct you, but its almost a halfway trail centre as they’ve numbered most of the bridleways along Long Mynd. Local bike shops have the appriate maps with the numbered bridleways on them (an OS map is still a good idea just in case I’d guess)

Minton Batch (near the SW end of Long Mynd) is a must IMO, though it was pretty dry when I did it. Was the only bit that had evidence some of it can suffer when its wet (probably everyone rides it)
    I also liked a load of stuff looping around N of and into Carding Mill
    Climb out of carding mill was tough, but worth it if you ‘enjoy’ the challenge of a tough ‘no dabs’ climb

I’ll try finding the map online if poss ..

flow
    Free Member

Afan sucks

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singlespeedstu

There’s nothing to see up The Minge.

I’d go somewhere else if I were you.

ruscle
    Free Member

Your words SSS tell me that its good riding as all the folk down at the Quantocks say the same about their! Any route suggestions? The only time I have rode at the Long Mynd was a birthday a few years ago and I did that on my own as no one was game, maybe the same this week!

james
    Free Member

here we go, ’trail map’ of Long Mynd. Might want an OS map plus go into a local bike shop (Plush Hill, Blazing Saddles etc) to get a paper copy of it

I went up 1, down 3, up road to gliding club, right along tops, across 11, down 12/14, up/down 15, up 10, across tops again, down 7

Would probably try swapping 3 for 2 when I go again just to see what its like. Could get some scary speed down 3 though, especially when the gate appears ..
    Though loads more to try. Hmm, need to go again me thinks

james
    Free Member

Hmm, not rly sure how you can convince ‘mates’ if they’ve decided they’re not up for it. They’d be missing out

excitable1
    Free Member

I did the ‘classic ride’ from issue 69 two weeks ago, this was what I ‘d said in another post (result is a no brainer for me, get to the Mynd but it looks nothing like James’ loveley photo’s at the moment…)

Got there for 10am and couldn’t see my hand in front of my face at the top because the cloud was so low, but as I was getting the bike out the cloud lifted (a bit) so I just had the cold and wind to deal with (the met office are a bunch of lying b******s !).

I got lost twice (once at the start over the first hill and once at the end in the ‘forest’) but other than that really easy to navigate.

The trails are like nothing else I’ve done before. Despite the damp conditions the ground is really hard almost all along the route. Those same weather conditions in the Lakes, NW or the Peaks would undoubtably result in the Somme effect. In fact if anything the short grass, wet and hard ground make the ride a little skitty.

Loved the descent to Little Stretton and the descent down Minton Batch is also good but needs to be tried in the dry.

I had planned on doing some extra drops off the back of the gliders club but as it says in the article there’s something out there that saps you energy and I couldn’t be arsed with another climb to the top… maybe in the summer.

4.5hrs including the two diversions at either end, so I think the 6.5hrs quoted in the article is a mis print.

From what I saw there is loads of extra routes out there. There seemed to be lengths of ST almost everywhere I looked.

singlespeedstu

Any route suggestions?

No.

AirconAde
    Free Member

Just remember that Eastridge is only a couple of miles from there, so you can put a good loop together covering some of the best single track going! If you want some GPS MMO files drop me a line.

ruscle
    Free Member

Cheers for all the info so far, especially your fine words of encouragement stu!! I think your pictures james should convince my friends. You can email me at russell_bond@sky.com with those files AirconAde if ok, cheers.

AirconAde
    Free Member

Mail sent
    Ade

shinsplints

‘Tis rubbish here in the Shire. Stay away.

ruscle
    Free Member

Many thanks Ade.

walleater

What knee pads for riding on old sheep trails?

rootes1

plus you have the Lawley, Caer Caradoc, Stiperstones, Eastridge etc near by as well..

you could do the old MSW sunday ride.. start out at Meole Brace (shrewsbury) ride out to the mynd via lawley and caradoc, stop in stretton for food, then over mynd, over stiperstones then bach to shrewsbury.. perhaps via eastridge.

jedi

+1 flow 🙂

Dekerf853

AirconADE, that sounds like a great ride. Any chance you could mail me the route as well?

jpalmer at emea.att.com

Thanks………Jim.

Mounty_73

A few route suggestions here for the Mynd….

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/long-mynd-little-stretton

Just remember that Eastridge is only a couple of miles from there, so you can put a good loop together covering some of the best single track going! If you want some GPS MMO files drop me a line.

Could you email me some MMO files please? Email mounty73 AT hotmail .com

Scamper
    Free Member

Always liked 11, 12, 14 Down (James top photo).

The Mynd (official) trails are more wide open BW’s with great views off the top narrowing to singletrack towards the bottom, but as said there is more over on the Stiperstones and Caradoc.

AirconAde
    Free Member

Just picked up the thread , I’ll email you chaps when i get back home.

A.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Long Mynd or Afan?’ is closed to new replies.