Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • London to Brighton off road
  • willfaz
    Free Member

Think this is a first? Never seen it before.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/bike-rides/london-to-brighton/london-to-brighton-off-road.aspx

Presuming it’s because of the Olympics but looks like it could be good fun. Only found it by chance when searching for the regular one! They’re also doing a night ride from L2B, which is quite cool.

74 miles though! Need some serious training for that….

Anyone definitely doing it?

tony24
    Free Member

Been going a while I done it 2 year ago was good fun. Great atmosphere and some quite good bits. Feeling riding from top of the downs and seeing Brighton is fantastic

neilnevill
    Free Member

looks like that could be fun

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PJM1974
    Free Member

I did the route from Brighton to London last year to raise money for charity, was excellent and quite a challenge.

It’s very rideable on a hardtail, well worth it.

willfaz
    Free Member

Yeah was going to say hardtail all the way, keep it nice and light but something you can have some fun on and it’d be great!

Can you give us some idea of timing? The road on a roadie I reckon wouldn’t take long at all but this has potential to really take all day I think!

spacemonkey

I take it the route doesn’t take in much (or any) of the Downs Link then? Does it cut across Surrey and then head south toward Ditchling Beacon or something? Would be interested in this.

drofluf
    Free Member

I did it last year. Fine on a hardtail snglespeed, had to push up a couple of hills but then so did the gearies. Would have preferred a longer gear than 32×18 for the long (30 mile?) stretch of the Downs Link.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Seventy four miles?

Pft. Me and Psychle did one what was wunundred miles, last Summer. On singlespeeds. 😐

muggomagic

Previously it went from London across the north downs, along the downs link as far as Upper Beeding then joins up with the SDW as far as trueleigh hill, down Southwick hill which is a nice long descent then it’s along the seafront to Brighton.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Den for the last couple of years. I’d recommend getting there early so your in one of the first groups setting off

Nice countryside, but the downs link does seem to go on & on & on. Worst hill is the one at Upper Beeding, but it is rideable if you just get your head down and go for it. I’m always amazed at the number of people pushing up it and not even trying. If your going o o the ride, at least try to ride it all! The descent afterwards is a bit of a velocitous grin if you get a clear run

You can just turn up and register on the day (in fact that queue is usually quicker than the queue for people who’ve already registered!) so you can bail out if the weather is bad. I’d imagine it’d be really quite miserable if it rains for the whole ride

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I rode the route last year not long after elfin and like the site says its about endurance not technical skill. The route is circa 80 miles and it’s a nice long day of riding. I met my other half at the pier at the end, ate fish and chips and drove home. If I did it again I might be tempted to either CX or SS it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

So Rudeboy, would you do it again? was it fun?

MrAgreeable

I helped out the organiser (Singletracksurfer of this parish) a couple of years ago with collecting the signs and sweeping the route. It was an awesome day out, loads of fun singletrack.

The Downs Link is a bit dull but there aren’t many alternatives, and as PDF says by the time everyone gets to Upper Beeding (basically an off road version of the Ditchling Beacon climb that features in the road version) a lot of people are hanging anyway.

Little write-up of it with pics here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/london-to-brighton-off-road-lots-of-pics

zilog6128

Sounds like a good day out. Nice write up (above). Does anyone who’s done it happen to have a GPX of the route?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’m signed up for the night ride. tempted to do this one and the normal one as well, get the full set for the year!

willfaz
    Free Member

I want to do it but am billy no mates with friends who can man up for 74 miles…

zilog6128
    willfaz
    Free Member

nice find thanks.

hilldodger
    Free Member

willfaz – Member
    I want to do it but am billy no mates with friends who can man up for 74 miles…

There’s nearly always a thread on Bike Magic in the build up L2BOR where you can join forces with people of your own speed/enthusiasm if you haven’t got a “team” to ride with…..

theflatboy
    Free Member

well i’m definitely interested, but have some other stuff going on around that time. i’ll post on here if i decide to do it. 🙂

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m probably up for doing it

senorj

I did it the first time it was run.
    It’s a very achievable challenge.If you’re in the Sarf East then it’s a good one to tick off the list.
    I wouldn’t travel far to do it though.If I were to do it again , I’d rather do it in a small group ala Elfin tbh.

Good cause though – good luck.

singletracksurfer

most questions answered I think, other than 7.5hrs is around an ‘average’ kind of time to do it in.

Great event, very friendly and you are allowed your bikes on the trains at the end 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

very tempted. may have to get permission from my wife, though, for family reasons… 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘London to Brighton off road’ is closed to new replies.