Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Logo design – ball park figure/potential work offer
  • phil.w
    Free Member

How can you tell they are server scaled?

One of the tools I have for analysing sites tests page speed.

I only did two or so pages on your site and have assumed a little about the rest. Maybe I just picked the exceptions.

One of the pages I looked at could definitely do with some work here’s the results…

grum
    Free Member

Euro – is that a serious offer!?

Elf – replied innit.

Thanks for the design advice/offers etc – as suggested above I need to concentrate on getting this slowness issue sorted as it could well be costing me business right now. 🙁

Cheers phil, that’s really helpful – what’s the tool BTW?

I didn’t make the thumbnails, the template system I use generates them from the full size image – it seems it doesn’t do it in a very efficient way. Balls.

Euro
    Free Member

Will those be unique original designs though?

Lulz, this is graphic design we are talking about. You show me a unique and original design and i’ll show you where they copied it from 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Euro
    Free Member

Yeah Grum, as long as they’re new.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Lulz, this is graphic design we are talking about. You show me a unique and original design and i’ll show you where they copied it from

Verily, for there is no new thing under the sun,

BUT

The ‘offshore’ approach isn’t about getting a unique logo designed speshly for you, it’s about choosing from a range of ‘clipart’ designs what’ve already bin created. Perfectly fine for many people/applications, but doesn’t put food on a UK designer’s table…

It’s a buyer’s market. Capitalism, innit?

phil.w
    Free Member

what’s the tool BTW?

It’s the same as this… https://developers.google.com/pagespeed/ I have it as part of my browser which is why the results screen pictured above looks different.

I need to concentrate on getting this slowness issue sorted as it could well be costing me business right now

You should be able to tell how much of an impact it’s having from your Google Analytics. 😉

mogrim

Speaking as a rank amateur, I quite like your logo – clean, serious, the only thing I don’t like is the way the text looks out of focus, perhaps not the ideal mental association to be making when you’re looking into hiring a photographer 🙂

The site seems to load fast enough, but then I expect a picture heavy photography to site to be a bit slower than average. Still, any speed gain would be worth looking into. (FWIW: Chrome, Linux, and I’m in Spain if that makes a difference.)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lulz, this is graphic design we are talking about. You show me a unique and original design and i’ll show you where they copied it from

I think you miss the original point. Yes, people are always influenced by things around them but a good creative designer will sit down and *think* about how best to reflect the brand of the logo they are designing. Pay someone £50 for six logos and they won’t – it will just be quickly thrown together logos that have no meaning or justification. Sure, there is a market for that sort of work, just as there is for paying circa. £500 for a logo, just as there is for paying several thousand/million pounds for a complete rebrand.

user-removed
    Free Member

Websites designed for photographers

+1 on Photium being very good. Will is absolutely second to none when it comes to customer service. I’ve asked numpty questions at midnight on a Saturday and had a reply within hours (minutes even)!

The templates are very customisable but for me, the most important aspect is the ability to apply SEO to each and every page. When I set up my dog photography website a few months ago, I went for another Photium site. Within 48 hours, I was on the first page of Google for my chosen search terms (dog photography north east etc, etc.). It’s that good!

Obviously if your search terms are things like “wedding photographer London”, you’re going to need to do a bit more work, but I’m also on page one with my main wedding site (also Photium)…

Apologies for the blatant links 😀

Oh, and I quite like the logo you already have too! I made my own in Photoshop – it’s an amalgam of loads of stolen ideas from elsewhere and could probably also use a designer’s touch!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What Winegums sez. Before I even start any sketches, I’ll be talking to a client to find out exactly what they need from me. I won’t charge for an initial ‘consultation’ although I’ve learned to be a bit more cagey so’s they don’t then go and take any ideas they may have gleaned from me, to someone cheaper… 😥

There’ll always be someone cheaper, that’s the nature of the beast. But as for ‘better’, well, that’ far more subjective. And of course more money does not in any way necessarily equate to better quality. A good strong logo and brand is as important as whole loads of text and other promotional devices mind, and sometimes even more so.

grum
    Free Member

Euro – dang was hoping to palm you off with my battered old ones 🙂
    I will email you anyway…

Cheers mogrim – It’s weird, I don’t think it’s always been slow, I don’t remember people commenting on it when I posted a thread asking for feedback here before. 😕

You should be able to tell how much of an impact it’s having from your Google Analytics.

Bounce rate is 40%, average time on site 3:38, 3.76 page views per visit – I’m a noob to all this, but that doesn’t sound toooo bad. Doesn’t sound great either.

The templates are very customisable but for me, the most important aspect is the ability to apply SEO to each and every page. When I set up my dog photography website a few months ago, I went for another Photium site. Within 48 hours, I was on the first page of Google for my chosen search terms (dog photography north east etc, etc.). It’s that good!

Yeah that’s a massive plus point innit. Ta

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

For example – here is a logo I created recently.

Looks simple and ‘easy’ doesn’t it? But I can justify it on several levels – firstly the shape – the ‘O’ signifies the circular nature of a literal oasis, as well as the initial letter of the word, but on meeting with the clients and having a creative ‘mood board’ session the team agreed on colours, type etc as well as, most significantly, the client came up with the term ‘whole person learning’ and ‘completing the circle’ as key ‘tones of voice’ which are (I think) perfectly communicated with the large circle above the type – enclosed, circular etc

Because the logo is justified the client has bought into it and has confidence in it reflecting their organisation correctly.

I have no idea if some offshore company could have come up with it or not, but lots of time, effort and several stages of progression were required to come up with this solution and both me and the client are very pleased with it.

And this is it on the website…

grum
    Free Member

I have no idea if some offshore company could have come up with it or not, but lots of time, effort and several stages of progression were required to come up with this solution and both me and the client are very pleased with it.

Well done on managing to convince them to spend hundreds of pounds on a circle that’s just the first letter of their name, but stop hijacking my thread. 😛

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well done on managing to convince them to spend hundreds of pounds on a circle that’s just the first letter of their name, but stop hijacking my thread

Edited 😉

grum
    Free Member

Well played!

stumpy01

User-removed….

Blimey. I have only looked on the home pages, so far, but your Photium site looks a lot better than mine. Although as I mentioned earlier on I threw mine together ages ago to a starting point and it’s kinda just sat there ever since. Bit stupid really. It needs a whole re-think. Perhaps this thread will urge me to get back into it.

How much time did you spend getting your sites looking like that?

I need to go back to basics with mine. My google analytics are woeful….I suspect most views are from friends looking to see if I had done anything to the site, since the last time they looked!

Oh, and I can confirm what you say about Will. I have had replies from him at 10:30pm on a Friday night within 6 mins!!

sc-xc

You show me a unique and original design and i’ll show you where they copied it from

😉

Euro
    Free Member

If your client was happy to spend £60 per hour to feel special and involved in the process then great. The bullshitting justification of a design was never something I felt comfortable doing (I was good at it though 😀 ). To me it either works for the client/their target market or it doesn’t and if you have to make stuff up to sell it to them then it hasn’t really worked.

edit: great minds eh?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oof. That’s got to hurt…

binners

I can’t see this ending well

Brew anyone?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually Binners I’ve run out of milk. How bloody inconvenient.

EDIT: And biscuits! Society is collapsing as we speak! 😯

jackthedog
    Free Member

You know that bit in Terminator 2 in the mental hospital where Sarah Conner sees Arnie again for the first time, turns, runs and screams?

I’m her right now.

grum
    Free Member

👿

flow
    Free Member

😆 excellent

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You show me a unique and original design and i’ll show you where they copied it from

But I didn’t copy it from either of those (they both are only similar anyway) – in fact I can show you the original sketch I did where I got my *concept* from during the brainstorm.

Cougar

I need a wheel, can anyone help me invent it?

(-:

grum
    Free Member

By the way, thanks for all the emails/offers etc – I will follow them up, I’m just having major issues with my website which need sorting first. Think I’m going to switch the whole thing over to Photium, but make a separate wedding site as well.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Forgot about this! 😀

Ah, there’s still some fun to be had, I see….

woody74

Try 99 Designs http://99designs.co.uk

Worked well for us as you get loads of design ideas and options. Probably not the best way to get the ultimate logo where you work closely with the designer.

I used ClikPic for quite a few years and was always very pleased.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Looks simple and ‘easy’ doesn’t it? But I can justify it on several levels – firstly the shape – the ‘O’ signifies the circular nature of a literal oasis, as well as the initial letter of the word, but on meeting with the clients and having a creative ‘mood board’ session the team agreed on colours, type etc as well as, most significantly, the client came up with the term ‘whole person learning’ and ‘completing the circle’ as key ‘tones of voice’ which are (I think) perfectly communicated with the large circle above the type – enclosed, circular etc

Because the logo is justified the client has bought into it and has confidence in it reflecting their organisation correctly.

That’s copied straight out of one of the Modern Parents sketches from Viz.

Do I win £5?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Been to Meadowhall recently Fanylion?

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Logo design – ball park figure/potential work offer’ is closed to new replies.