• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GW.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Lockout has gone on my Pikes 454 Coils…..little help.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Afternoon,

Finally got out on my bike for the first time in a couple of months and have found my lockout has stopped working on my 18 month old pikes. Not been used for a month or so and i seem to remember them working beforehand. Any idea what the problem may be, tried adjusting the floodgate etc with no joy, and if i have to send them off is it going to be pricey?

Cheers.

walla24
    Free Member

happens to me occasionally so interested in replies…
    usually find if i (with lockout off) bounce up and down on em for 10mins or so then try the lock again it works?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

leave em the right way up for a bit and bounce them up and down – the lockout will return 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mushrooms
    Free Member

Sometimes this can happen if the oil is not in the right place, try turning the lockout off riding for a bit then try it again.

Strangelove
    Free Member

Hmm… Are your forks computer controlled? Turn it off and turn it on again seems to be a pretty standard IT answer.

bagpuss
    Free Member

If you've stored the bike hanging from the front wheel or upside down then they'll be fine once ridden for a bit.

coatesy
    Free Member

Try removing the spring (if none of the above works) and see if you've got full travel. If you haven't, then it's likely that the damper cartridge has pee'd it's oil into your lower leg. Depends on the age of the fork if warranty covers it, rebound cartridges cost around the £30 mark, not sure of compression cartridges.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Mmmm. Sounds like your damper is slowly loosing fluid (into the lowers). This can appear intermittent with the pumping up and down ideas above cure it (temporarily). The test is if you can loosen off the bottom bolt on the lowers damper side) and see if blue fluid comes out. If youve got a rebound adjuster there it may need a stiff tug to get it off. If it's all brown fluid you can just put it back in – make sure the fluid is super clean!

If blue fluid – the damper is leaking. The ideal solution is a full service / warranty return but you can get around it by draining the lowers and topping up the damper by the same amount -10ml (and putting the 10 ml correct fluid in the lowers). But never never ever overfill the damper.

btw – dont ignore it. The side effect of extra fluid in the lowers is that your total travel is significantly reduced. The spring side is meant to do all the susp work but with a reduced volume in your lowers means the fork cant get to its max travel.

GW
    Free Member

eh? dodn't think he mention anything wrong with his rebound!
    the poplock is on the other side from the rebound! and is part of the MoCo cart – floodgate works by building up pressure so if it's stopped working it's most likely a seal in the moco cart that's worn.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Lockout has gone on my Pikes 454 Coils…..little help.’ is closed to new replies.