Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Llandegla, tell me about it..
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t usually do trail centres, although have done Glentress & Dalby but my niece has invited me & mate down to ‘do Llandegla’.
    So, is it like GT & Dalby, in general? I’ll be on a Norange 5 & mate will be on a HT (which is probly irrelephant) Is there any raised ‘North Shore’ type stuff to contend with?
    Ta

donsimon
    Free Member

The black has one raised section of north shore, it’s all doable on an HT. Tyres in good condition as the shorter sharper climbs can be a bit greasy.

tazzymtb

it’s all doable on an

small childs bike with a basket on the front and pink tassles on the handle bars. It’s jolly nice though

tony24
    Free Member

Not technical at all, but masses of grip on pretty much every tyre i have used there last time was maxxis ignitors but nobby nics or the like will be fine for the sharp ( ish ) climbs which are very short.

But even though its not technical its bloody fantastic the speed you can do around it its like being on roller coaster but your in control the small jumps come very naturally and its just a smile inducing fun trail centre.

The north shore part is just a slightly raised platform about 6 ft high but about 3 ft wide so plenty of space to put feet down its roller able.

gixerator
    Free Member

There is a new northshore section on the red where additional jump section is. It isnt officially open but is finished and used.

jonrambo
    Free Member

Its a pile of shit for the lycra clad choco boys. 😆

tazzymtb

what is a lycra clad choco boy?

excitable1
    Free Member

It’s good for people to start out on and work their way up to the big outdoors, and also good for a quick winter blast with 2 laps round the black…..

At least it was until they turned it into a BMX track.

curvature
    Free Member

It’s a good trail centre but not very technical.

The black runs are easier than the red at Cannock.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I would say it’s exactly half way between dalby and glentress in terms of hills, fun and general gnar.

hugor
    Free Member

Its a pile of shit for the lycra clad choco boys.

Choco?? You referring to darker skinned races? What is Choco?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Oh ****, looks like It’s a long way to travel for summing mediocre then. Is there any natch trails what might be better for a proper day out in the area then? Me & matey are old hats at long days in the hills but cousin is a newbie.
    Ta some more.

lowey

It gets rammed, I mean proper rammed. Forget stopping for a view as there will be 30 other tiers there. No one makes eye contact to say hello, they grunt and look at your bike. I’ve been going since it opened but I won’t go again. Think of blackpool pleasure beach. Thats what llandegla is.

robhughes
    Free Member

Yep…Got to agree with lowey there.
    Also been going there for a long time but it,s now a no go…..for me anyway.
    Think it came to a head when a i heard a guy behind me say(I just could not get enough air on that off camber twin stepped uphill bermed jump).
    Thought to myself WTF am i doing here..Good bye Degla

donsimon
    Free Member

No one makes eye contact to say hello, they grunt and look at your bike.

I find folks very friendly there, maybe you’re the problem? 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

People who don’t like it:
    – can’t jump
    – aren’t riding it fast enough
    – have lost the idea of having fun on a bike

Llandegla is a great place to have a laugh on a bike. Some nice descents, awesome jumpy/bermy stuff and decent drops and jumps at the end in the skills area. Granted, its not for everyone but for someone who isn’t scared to shove their seat down and ‘send it’, its great. Dude.

Raindog
    Free Member

I go all the time, a bit later in the day to miss the crowds. It’s a good place to introduce new riders, and it gets better the faster you ride. The coffee is good and Katy is lovely.

No one makes eye contact to say hello,

I do, if I see someone that won’t talk I just think “city folk” and pedal on.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Agree with Daveyboy

Yes it gets busy and yes its not the most technical of places but its great fun with a couple of friends, isn’t that what it’s all about?!

highclimber
    Free Member

I think Cannock is better, as is CyB

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

It is good fun but get there early. Once the deathstar has docked then it’s crawling with stormtroopers!

tazzymtb

it’s a laugh on a singlespeed and cx bike and it offends the storm troopers massively 😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

Some people like….some people don’t.
    Theres no accounting for taste.

grum
    Free Member

DBW +1

I’ve not experienced the crazy busyness yet though, that doesn’t sound like much fun. Mind you I was at Laggan last weekend and it was absolutely heaving. I even got held up by a group of about 20 beginners – but yet still had a great time somehow.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Penmachno, its just betterer 😉

scottidog
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the place just good honest fun. Another +1 for everything DBW says here

Even when the car park is heaving it never seems that busy when you’re actually out in the forest.

Skills section is fun too, great set of dirt jumps for learning on, good drops line and a good pump track. Only thing that doesn’t quite work is the freeride line where it’s a bit too much effort to get up to speed.

hugor
    Free Member

Depends on the style of track you like really rather than skills.
    Personally I prefer the more natural feeling trails like CyB, Marin, Afan which are rocky and techy but still have lots of flow. The BMX stlye tracks like Llandegla, FOD, Brechfa which are generally wider and smoother with lots of berms, tabletops, dirt kickers etc feel a bit artificial in comparison. Its just preference though.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Its ace. Just set out after 3 in the afternoon and you won’t see a soul.

el_bandido
    Free Member

Llangdella certainly isn’t difficult, but it is a lot of fun if you go fast. The car park is always busy but it’s never been that congested out on the trails.

Horses for courses, I prefer trail centres when they ride like a big BMX track. That’s one thing they can do better than natural trails.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Penmachno, its just betterer

The man (?) speaks truth.

Penmanchno feels more ‘natural’ & is more technically challenging/interesting than Llandegla

No on-site facilities though.

EDIT: although Llandegla is good for all the positive reasons mentioned in previous posts. depends what you want on the day you’re in the area.

lowey

Degla really does polarize opinions. I used to love it, like stated above, ride it fast and it does flow very well, but the last time I went, the sheer numbers just put me off.

Penmachno, well, that is just ace. My favorite man made trail.

BigJohn

It’s the best trail in the UK.

For somebody who has a morning meeting in Wrexham on a nice sunny day, and can take the afternoon off.

Otherwise, it’s a pleasant day with some nice views. I tend to ride it on a singlespeed and only have to walk a couple of bits.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

CyB etc aren’t ‘better’, they’re just different. If you want a real nice big ride, loads of rocky singletrack, big climbs, big views and get back to the car feeling knackered and happy then CyB etc are the ones to go for.

For a couple of hours messing around on the bike, ripping around stuff flat out, jumping, sessioning bits and getting back to the car feeling as if you might have conquered something new be it a jump or drop thats always evaded you then Llandegla is the place.

As someone else said, horses for courses. Llandegla is like one massive BMX track come skills loop come Stainburn on a massive, slightly more mainstream scale. Can’t really compare to the likes of CyB, Glentress, Penmachno etc etc.

And as an introduction to mountain biking with its proximity to big towns etc, you can’t argue its a bad thing?

nobtwidler
    Free Member

If you don’t like it then you have no soul and shouldn’t be on a bike!
    Its fast fun with good cake!

Brycey
    Free Member

I’m always surprised how un-busy the trail actually seems when the car park is absolutely heaving. Granted there are usually groups gathered at the usual spots, but not so that’s it’s actually restrictive. My problem with it is I just find the second half a bit dull, although to be fair there are new bits appearing all the time. I think it’s good for a quick blast and then away.

I must say I do find the fat people smoking fags and eating fry-ups fairly distasteful when I’m having my post ride brew. *climbs down off high horse and carries on working*

devs
    Free Member

Llandgela, or Wrexham as it is known to the educated, is the dog’s knob. Go there. Take your friends, you’ll have loads of fun. After Wrexham there is most definitely no need to ever go to Scotland. No siree.
    Seriously, if you can’t enjoy yourself there then you are so far up yourself that the chips on your shoulders will be in there with you.

vinnyeh

Penmachno morning, Llandegla afternoon.
    A game of two halves, shows how much variation there is in ‘trail centres’.

almightydutch
    Free Member

I’ve really enjoyed the few visits to Llandegla that i’ve been to. Fast and fun with some cracking jumps and climbs.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It really is a lot of fun.

I prefer a trail centre to be a bit less rocky, as my local trails are covered in rocks and I ride them all the time. Those complaining can just ride ‘natural’ trails at their pleasure.

Surely the point of a trail centre is that it isn’t natural. Go to your local woods if you don’t like it so smooth.

Fun is the name of the game. Oh, and the fried breakfasts are nice too. 8)

joao3v16
    Free Member

Penmachno morning, Llandegla afternoon.

Yes. Do this.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The BBQ is jolly nice when the sun is out don’t you know.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Llandegla, tell me about it..’ is closed to new replies.