• This topic has 29 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by TN.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Liverpool-Leeds canal ride – anyone done it?
  • TN
    Free Member

Hi

I'm riding the Leeds-Liverpool Canal towpath route (but from Liverpool to Leeds) in a couple of weeks and we're trying to get organised. I was wondering whether any of you have ridden it over 2 days (I'd love to say I would do it in one day but at just short of 130 miles, it's not going to happen) and have any useful planning tips?

Specifically, I am trying to work out the logistics of the overnight stay.

The mid point is a place called Church, just west of Accrington, but I was hoping to get a bit further on day 1 and have a (relatively) easy day 2. (the next couple of place names I have are Burnley Wharf then Brierfield (Lob Lane) then Foulridge Wharf.)

I've looked on my map – was hoping to find a campsite somewhere nearby where we could crash for the night, but so far I haven't found anything suitable. We *do* have a support car accompanying us, but would prefer to try to stay as close to the route as possible to minimise faffing.

Does anyone have any inside knowledge they'd care to share with us?

Thanks in advance.

T

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I commute the Bingley to/from Skipton section most days. It's surfaced almost all the way from (just beyond) Silsden to Leeds.

Fit a bell or one of those 'pingers', much easier with constant negotiating other users, especially when you're cracking a pace on the surfaced sections.

Plan for quite a few thorn punctures on the unsurfaced sections. I think you can buy no puncture inner tubes, which might be worth considering.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I imagine it will get quite dull after a while!

As above you need a bell as some sections are very busy and your ave speed will drop a lot lower than you think because of it.

Slicks or semi slick will make it much faster if on mtb

TN
    Free Member

Thanks B.A.Nana – I have a pingy bell thing which I'll put on and the sturdy inner tubes sound like a good idea.
    Funky Dunc – I am also going to fit some less knobbly tyres and hope it doesn't rain too much in the coming weeks. 🙂
    I expect it to be pretty dull (have done a lot of 'tame' towpath/TPT miles when J was getting back on the bike), although some of the scenery looks quite nice around Shipley and Bingley.

Just been chatting with one of my co-riders – he's been told camping near Burnley is not advisible so I am going to call the Premier Inn and see whether they'll do us a good rate since we're riding for charity. If you don't ask…

Anyone else got any thoughts/tips/experiences they can add?

Simon

It can get busy along the towpath at weekends (the bit near me Saltaire/Bingley, anyway), might be worth planning your trip for during during the week.

Cougar

I live a stone's throw from Church, it's my local entry point when I want to ride the canal. There's nothing campsite-y round here that I know of (and you really wouldn't want to anyway).

There's a big, uh, Premiere Inn I think, on the Blackburn / Darwen border that might be a better option.

The towpath is popular with dog-walkers, so watch out for eggs near the bridges.

Junkyard
    Free Member

There are plenty of fields /woods you can camp in but you need to be at least at the barrowford locks dont think of camping between blackburn and there sadly not the nicest areas /people.It is NOT all surfaced and if it is wet /muddy you are going to struggle on the non surfaced parts.
    There are many free water points on the route.

rOcKeTdOg

you used to have to have a permit from British Waterways to ride towpaths, not sure if this still applies

here you go, free of charge now http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/cycling/permit

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There is a campsite right on the canal at Salterforth, saltforth… well just outside Nelson/Colne. This would set you up nicely for two distinctly different days
    Day1. Grim slog thru ex industrial Lancashire cesspits
    day2. Whistling a merry tune thru beautiful countryside and pleasent leafy Yorkshire towns.
    😛

TN
    Free Member

Simon – we're doing it on a Thursday and Friday in an attempt to minimise 'traffic'.
    Cougar & Junkyard – I think we'd come to a similar conclusion and we're going to use one of the hotels near Burnley now. Means I can have a soak in the bath and a comfy bed. 🙂
    rOcKeTdOg – permit printed and ready.

Oh boy. What have I let myself in for? 😉

TN
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – I guess the thought of nice countryside on day 2 will make it more bearable on day 1.

project
    Free Member

From Liverpool to Maghaull its not to bad, a lot has been resurfaced, there are a few pinch points along the route, to stop motorbikes,some nice industrial buildings through the outskirts of liverpool.

Why not ride back along the Trans pennine trail that links Liverpool to Hull, route 62 of the Sustrans cycle network.

TN
    Free Member

I won't be riding back to Liverpool this time but will definitely keep it in mind for another trip. Thanks.

U31
    Free Member

A mate of mine did it in 1 day, and his advice was hydration, and 1 energy bar every 15 minutes…

But i think he's insane!

johni
    Free Member

There is a new Holiday Inn Express near the M65 in Burnley too. Might be worth a look?

plumber
    Free Member

I've leeds to bingly which is nice,loads around blackburn burnley which varies in surface.

Camping around Foulridge maybe

TN
    Free Member

U31 – I had considered doing it in one day but I am definitely not up to that and I am pretty sure the others I'm riding with aren't either.
    Also, my employer allows us 2 days a year to do charity/fundraising stuff, so I am going to do the sensible thing and use both days.

johni – I will look up the HI Express too. I suspect on day 2 the last thing I am going to want to do is get back on the bike so if I can at least have a hot bath and sleep in a proper bed it'll minimise that.
    I hope.

Thanks all. 🙂

sparkingchains
    Free Member

I used to live in Saltaire (between Bingley and Shipley) It's nice there – good cafe stop for cakes! Ridden Bingley – Leeds section, mostly pretty nice. Get a lot of walkers with dogs and kids at the weekends and I mean a lot. I'd try and ride those areas early in the day or mid week.

All terrain cycles in Saltaire are good too.

carlosg
    Free Member

Myself and a mate did the canal in a day 2 years ago for a charity ride , it took us 14 1/2 hours and every mile from Skipton on hurt like you wouldn't believe , every time we stopped for a breather I curled into a fetus position on the floor.

We did the ride in the middle of July on a Sunday setting off from Liverpool at 6.45am. Most of the ride is pretty easy going , the section around Wigan is the only real climb but it's quite long (about 14 locks but well spread out). You need to go round the Foulridge tunnel but the signs are quite good. The section around Gargrave is a killer as there's about 5 miles of grass without a real pathway that really saps any energy you have left.

We took a break for 10 minutes every hour and 3/4 of an hour at the halfway point , nutrition for the day consisited of a good breakfast , 10 energy gels throughout the day and 3 peanut butter and banana sarnies at lunch. Despite copious amounts of vaseline being applied to my nether regions my perinium looked like some sadist had taken a belt sander to it and was sore for 3 weeks after.

If i were ever likely to do it again(no bloody chance!!) I'd definately do the food differently , it was a fantastic experience but it really took it's toll on me , but the 2 of us raised over £1000 for a local sick childrens charity so that made all the pain worthwhile.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I ride the Shipley to Leeds section most weeks on a cross bike. It's fairly easy going and the last 5 miles have all been tarmaced.

Some of the sections between Keighley and Skipton are in a much worse state.

Key points with any of these long rides is plenty of food and water.

And definitely get a bell. There are a lot of dog walkers with very poor hearing about.

chutney13
    Free Member

I'd seriously suggest taking something like a buff to cover your mouth with, insects galore especially if your trying to get a bit of speed going.

crackhead
    Free Member

I think saddle soreness will be your biggest problem. I tend to get it on long canal jaunts, but use a hardtail or rigid s/s. The riding is almost all in the saddle, perhaps a use for suspension?
    Good luck…

bullheart
    Free Member

Trudi,

I will be contributing as soon as I can find my wallet.

I am finding the increase in your cycling-related posts on FB disturbing; I wanted to know if you and J fancied a pootle in October up at Dalby, but I'm not going to do it if there's the remotest possibility of having my arse whooped…!

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I did it with 2 friends 5 weeks ago over 2 days on a really hot weekend, take loads of liquid/food as shops are few and far between especially between liverpool and Burnley. Saddle soreness was my big problem I wish I hadn't done it on my hardtail, and take a bell!
    We stopped in a cheap hotel in Burnley town centre as it was one our birthdays and went to a very good cury house.
    Planning to do it in a day later in the year and will do it full suss just for extra comfort.

TN
    Free Member

Hi all.
    So, tomorrow's the day. Eeek. After the weather the past few days I had wondered whether it might be better paddling the canal in a canoe, rather than riding? 😉
    Sorry for the lack of reeply to your kind responses – I have read and noted everyones recommendations. Especially the one about using a buff to stop ingestion of bugs. <shudder>
    I have got a bell, lots of spare tubes, a big spanner for beating the kids who try to mug us, very comfy new shorts and chamois cream and also plenty of water stops planned to refill the bottles. (J isn't riding this time – he knows 75 miles will knacker his back and his arm, so he is providing essential car-based support for us. Plus he gets a chance of 2 whole days indulging his reading habit…)

Mark – Dalby would be fantastic and there's no fear of us burning you off. We're enthusiastic but feeble. 🙂 Mail me if you get a chance. Or I'll mail you via FB.

If anyone would like to sponsor us, you can do so here: JustGiving
    (We've raised over £1000 so far, which is fab, but it's mainly on my co-conspirators page)

TN
    Free Member

Hmm, it chopped the end of my previous message off (when I say 'it', there's no doubt it was actually me.)

I just wanted to add thanks everyone for your help and I will let you know how we got on at the weekend. Hopefully…
    Wish us luck.

IanW
    Free Member

Did it 30 years ago, it may have changed now.

project
    Free Member

Part of the canal is closed to boats oop north due to lack of water, i kid you not.

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages/results?waterways%5B%5D=43&search_data_by%5B%5D=all&start_day=21&start_month=7&start_year=2010&end_period=all&end_day=21&end_month=10&end_year=2010&show_one_page=1&subtn=+Find+Stoppages+

Towards the bottom of the page, no water and stop boards on the locks so no boats running.

Junkyard
    Free Member

those stopages dont take effect until August 2nd anyway and they are blocking the actual canal locks ,to preserve water, not the towpath.
    The canal is open oop north still trust me I own a boat

TN
    Free Member

Well, after all the great advice from everyone a knee injury has forced me to abandon at 100 miles. My knee (which I've never had problems with previously) has siezed up and I'm in agony. I'm gutted because even the achy legs and sore bum were bearable and then my knee goes and screws things up. Words cannot express how upset and disappointed I am. (proper canalside hissy fit with tears and snot and everything!)
    There's always next year, I suppose…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Liverpool-Leeds canal ride – anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.