Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Light weight tyres & tubes…..Yawn…..
  • letmetalktomark

Thank you for getting this far with what is a very boring topic!

I am after some lightweight tyres to use on a ti hardtail.

The thing is though……

Rear tyre – maximum 2.00'' (clearance thing)

I currently weight 100kg (christmas thing)

Ideally for summer/dry use (dont like the cold thing)

All suggestions welcome 😆

nickc

Loose some of the Xmas thing first?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

have a look at Continental supersonic speedkings the 2.1 is quite narrow and about 400gm per tyre, also supersonic inner tubes are 100gm. I think Schwalbe do something similar

tinsy
    Free Member

how light do you want? or more specifically how much grip you after?

Conti twister supersonics and Shwalbe fast freds are in the 350g a tyre bracket but not much grip or volume.

I run maxxis something or the other tubes (not the full supersonic) at 110g but there are lighter out there, and have moved on to Kenda SB8's 2.0 (i think they were 450-500g) for summer speed, and are really really fast as long as its dry and dusty.

letmetalktomark

nickc – Member

Loose some of the Xmas thing first?

Sadly that will only reduce to around 95kg. I'm pretty fit.

Plus I thought it was rolling weight that was a killer?

@ Eve Libertine, I'll have a look at the speed kings

gee
    Free Member

Conti Race King 2.0

nickc

I regularly puncture speed kings, and I'm 74kgs. they need silly high pressure to prevent punctures, and then they have no grip…

Racing Ralph, or the other schwable one who's name escapes me…

nickc

Rocket Ron

tinsy
    Free Member

Speedkings would actually offer some grip over the Twisters, I ran speedkings (not supersonic) once it got too wet for the SB8's and was very pleased with them… BUT the twisters are the fastest tyre ive ever used, but also the most sketchy. my bike got knicked that had the twisters on so I didnt get chance to back to back ride them against the SB8's, but the SB8's actually offer a little comfort and dont puncture like a twister supersonic.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

StansCrow.

Racing Ralph or Nobby Nick

DT78
    Free Member

schwalbe NN / RR are under 500g I think. Made a real difference to my full suss (had been running single 2.5 maxxis HR's for the last year)

I experimented with light innertubes (continental supersonic I think) I got 3 punctures in the first ride, despite being at 40psi. So I'm back to the normal tubes now. Wasted £16 🙁

I weigh 80 – 85kgs, prob close to 100kg with kit.

njee20
    Free Member

Rocket Ron/Furious Fred combo.

400g/295g, Freds have sod all grip, but work fine on the back, and roll stupidly fast.

Lightweight tubes are a false economy, you'll puncture constantly. Go tubeless (when the recommendation still stands, Schwalbe work really well) or run normal tubes and get punctures.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'm quite heavy and use Speed King Supersonics on one of my hardtails and on my Epic. They need to be pumped up fairly hard (45-50psi I think) but I've found then good for grip in most conditions (including in winter) and haven't had too much in the way of puncture problems.

I've run Racing Ralphs on the same bike and while they were fine in the dry they're no-where near as good as the Speed Kings in wetter conditions. From my experience the Speed Kings are much better than the Racing Ralphs.

I've also got some Twister Supersonics but haven't used them yet.

onandon
    Free Member

Schwalbe Fast Freads,they are only £12 are less than 350 grams and narrow enough for your needs.
    I dont think you will find any better other than perhaps a Kenda Klimax which you can find for around £14

I have used both and the Fast freds would be a better bet IMHO.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Been using Speedking Supersonic and Raceking with ultralite and Supersonic tubes.Am 13.5 stone and for general XC fine.Used a bit of latex in the tubes to prevent punctures and been impressed so far! A south African company do the latex called Sludge that you can use through Presta Vaves(think its designed for road bikes).
    Thanx Max

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

By the way if you use the Raceking get it in 2.0.The 2.2 is humungous!
    Thanx Max

DT78
    Free Member

On and On – where have you seen Fast Freds for £12? I just did a quick google and I get £30-35ish?

drain

Fast Freds sometimes come up on eBay at around £30 for a pair. Not seen them for £12 each though!

The Furious Freds are around the £30 each though.

onandon
    Free Member

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b6s120p1042&rs=gb

Racing ralphs for £25 🙂

Beat me to it

DT78
    Free Member

Cool – I'll shall put an order in then to swell my tyre collection!

Maybe I googled on Furious Fred, not fast….

I take it Fast Freds are older versions of Furious Fred and not in the new fangled evo compound?

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Anyone used Fast Freds "tubeless" with stans sealant on stans 355 rims??

onandon
    Free Member

I used them tubeless on Olympics with only yellow tape.
    They were great.

cynic-al
    Free Member

letmetalktomark – Member

Ideally for summer/dry use (dont like the cold thing)

Ask again when it's dry – fashions will have changed…

br
    Free Member

SmallBlock8's, run tubeless and Stans rims?

Northwind

For inner tubes, I can highly recommend Schwalbe's XXlight… I ran them in 2.35s for about 6 months without any issues at all, even down bits of the fort william downhill they were fine. Actually lighter than many tubeless options, though a little heavier than most proper tubeless rims + sealant. Certainly lighter than "ghetto"

mieszko
    Free Member

My mate used the Fast Fred on front and although it is a light and very quick tyre it did not last for too long, rocks could rip the parts of the thread from the tyre. Basically after couple of normal club off road rides and 2 marathons the tyre went to bin as it wasn't safe to use it. Similar to some Twister Supersonics. He paid full retail on both and he said that that was worst money spent and they are race only tyres. He is around 70-75kg and riding XC only. If the tyre weights around 500g it will do for me. Friend of mine is using those ultralight Schwalbe tubes and RR tyres and he gets loads of punctures weighting only 65kg and riding XC only.

But again Fast Fred for £12, it's probably worth a try 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Some of the 2.1 Maxxis eXCeption series 2.1 tyres are sub 500 grams. I usually have a 2.1 crossmark on the back of my hardtail which is ace when it's a bit drier.

jimthesaint

Schwalbe make some great 'light' tyres. Fred, Ron and Ralph, take your pick.

If you can find them Michelin latex tubes are the dogs danglies. If I remember right they weigh under 130grams, less prone to pinch flats and because of the high elasticity of latex they give a ride feel similar to tubeless. Only problem with them is they are more porous than normal tubes so they will need pumping up more often.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Light weight tyres & tubes…..Yawn…..’ is closed to new replies.