Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • light and durable road wheeset up to £400
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

BIL is after new wheels, has suggested something with alloy nipples argh! He’s scared of stans and not into tubs, but might accept alloy freehub (he’ll not have any choice?)

I know it’s been debated a lot here but I’ve never listened as I go down the build route…what’s good to buy?

warton
    Free Member

For factory built either mavic or shimano. You could probably get open pros built onto ultegra hubs if you want handbuilt.

aP
    Free Member

Campagnolo Neutron. Reasonably light, very reliable, quite fast.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

RS80’s.

sefton
    Free Member

shimano rs80’s – exactly the same as duraace apart from slightly less blingy hubs – the carbon/ali rim & spokes are the same.

you can pic them up in the sale sometimes for £300 (px) get some nice rubber and your under budget 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d go Ksyrium Elites

cynic-al
    Free Member

He’s looking for lighter rims than open pro (and lighter wheels than ultegra/open pro), must be shimano.

anc
    Free Member

+1 Sefton. I have the dura ace wheels and Kysrium sl’s, the shimano’s are far superior. They are much more comfortable to ride with the carbon alloy rim but are still plenty stiff enough. They’re lighter. The hubs especially the freehub are way, way better than mavic’s.

stevemtb
    Free Member

May be able to find Dura-Ace for that, can’t remember exactly how much mine were but it was around that figure.

Think I’d get Ksyrium Elites if I was buying again as the DAs flex a bit more than my Ksyrium Equipes. That said I’m certainly not a lightweight so I maybe shouldn’t be using that light a wheel….

Nothing against the DAs, they’re great wheels apart from the flexing. That’s actually a bit better that they were split new now too since I got them tightened a bit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta…I’d prefer shimano to mavic…is the mavic spares situation still dire?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

IRD Cadence? Veolcity Aeroheads? Both are lighter than the open pros (and they have the all important aero profile)

anc
    Free Member

Also the alloy nipples on the kysriums are chocolate, if you ride anywhere with salt on the road they will seize and then disintegrate when you try to free them.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

It’s a shame you can’t find a bit more budget as Soul’s S2.0 is incredible value. 1,330 grams and they have been reviewed really well by road.cc. The warranty is second to none, even includes consumable for the first year. But they have an RRP of £575.00…

http://road.cc/content/review/48341-soul-s20-wheelset

**before anybody does too much searching yes I do work for the distributor 😉

jonba
    Free Member

I looked at the same choices and went for £300 RS80s on planet x.

Look really nice but as they are on my race bake they have not yet been ridden.

Other options were custom builds – novatech or hope pro 3 on stans Alphas (strada or justridingalong). American classics, Stan’s road wheels if you can find them.

LenBuch
    Free Member

Talk to Darren at Strada – hand built A23 rims and choice of hubs – built for your individual needs – beat the Ksyrium Elites in a head to head.

mugsys_m8

hope hoops. DT rims on Hope Pro III.
    semi factory/ semi custom

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If he doesnt trust you to build his wheels, then Just Riding Along are worth bothering with. Top notch service and cheaper than anyone else!

njee20
    Free Member

Tell him to MTFU on Stans and get some Alphas, get some of the Novatech 6-pawl hubs on eBay, and some Revolutions/Aerolites/CX-Rays. Done!

fenboy

fulcrum 3
    strada A23
    Ksyrium Elites
    cole wheels via evans must do something for that price.

I’d get the strada A23

tom84
    Free Member

what about kinlin/IRD rims for the build?

Speshpaul

Hope pro 3’s on open pros with sapim spokes, for me they workout out under 1600grams and sub £400. i think thats not a bad balance between weight strenght and cost.

cynic-al
    Free Member

He’s a bit hesitant re. stans due to having seen a 190lb weight limit on 24H builds and also I trashed one of mine (albeit the off might have trashed any rim)

Thanks again, will check out those other alternatives.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘light and durable road wheeset up to £400’ is closed to new replies.