Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Lidl selling turntables now – any good?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Actually looks like they have only just starting doing them so probably a bit early for reviews but I guess might be okay for the money in theory, and for converting old vinyl to digital

Lidl is now selling turntables

DezB
    Free Member

ION? I’ve got a couple of their t-shirts!

Must mean I’m a fan of Lidl turntables. 😆 I’m no hi-fi snob, but that thing looks grim!

joolsburger
    Free Member

No – No they are not.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was about to buy an SME V to upgrade my TT but on seeing that I don’t think I will bother – that thing looks awesome…

mudshark
    Free Member

Hopefully won’t damage the vinyl.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just as a reference point, in case you’re unsure of the awsumzness of the Lidl offering, this is what a decent turtnable still looks like…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

or the planar 2…

the main thing wrong with that rega picture is that it isn’t using one of those very insubstantial looking ringmats that actually work exceptionally well.

ourmaninthenorth

Ahem.

stumpy01

It’s not just a turntable, is it?

Looks like it’s got some speakers at the front? And a USB socket for converting records to MP3. I suspect a lot of people who might not be interested in outright sound quality might like to make use of that.

My Dad for example must have 3-4ft of LPs that he won’t get rid of, but he’d like to make easier to access.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

people who might not be interested in outright sound quality

Bizarre thing to say. There are people like this?

There should be somewhere they can go for help.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Xmas present right there for grandma and grandad! 😉

CountZero

Mr Woppit – Member
    people who might not be interested in outright sound quality

It’s called a hifi shop!
    They exist, I used to regularly get people asking me for a replacement for their cardboard Amstrad ‘hifi’ tower.
    I’d then demo a Denon CD player, Rotel amp and B&W or KEF speakers, and the horror that was the Amstrad would be consigned to the trash.
    We sold turntables, but most people had few decent albums, and didn’t want the hassle of looking after them.

ajantom

If you really need a USB deck (I’ve considered it in the past, but decided that as I’d have to digitize all my records at normal speed, I might as well just listen to them!) and don’t want to be spending too much money, then something like the Project Elemental USB for £200ish is about as cheap as I’d go.
    Gets great reviews for a ‘cheaper’ deck, and having had a listen to one it poos all over some decks priced way higher.

Cheap USB decks are utter shite. Crap sounds, and will probably damage your records too.

stumpy01

Mr Woppit – Member

I doubt my Dad’s hearing aids would allow him to get the best from a Michell Gyrodec….and his Hitachi turntable & Wharfedale Dovedale speakers have done him OK for the last 40 years or so…..

5thElefant
    Free Member

Apparently. They wouldn’t be able sell turn tables otherwise.

taxi25
    Free Member

Well I’m going to get one. I’ve got a stack of vinyl at my mothers ( she’s the only person I know who has a record player ). And I bet my beat up old records will sound just fine 😀

slowoldman

What on earth is that “lid” on the Sondek up there?

DezB
    Free Member

Cheap USB decks are utter shite. Crap sounds, and will probably damage your records too.

Arf!
    Wondered how long it would take the myturntablewhatIplaymywonderfuldirestraitsalbumsonismoreexpensivethanyours brigade to come along 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

@ ourmaninthenorth

I had one of those during my vinyl phase.

Best TT ever made. Anywhere.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Pony.

This is more like it (and it’s not even the most expensive at $150,000)

DezB
    Free Member

Dammit. I’ll have to sell my Linn Klimax LP12 and get one of those now or my vinyl will sound shite!

zbonty

The whole digitising your vinyl collection puzzles me-who actually bothers beyond the first one or two.
    I love a bit of vinyl; balls deep in the stuff. Two Technics upstairs, Linn in the lounge and my folks old Trio in the dining room.
    But if you’ve got xyz albums you need to hear from your youth isn’t it easier to just buy/download a copy? Very little is not available somewhere online, probably for free. A rip from a supermarket TT isn’t the answer surely?

It may however enable you to get those rekids out the loft and playing while the dinners in I suppose..

ajantom

DezB – Arf!
    Wondered how long it would take the myturntablewhatIplaymywonderfuldirestraitsalbumsonismoreexpensivethanyours brigade to come along

Not at all, you might notice that the one I recommended is only £200. Until I bought a nice 2nd hand Linn a couple of years ago I was using a 1970s technics SL1300 with a decent Ortofon cartridge. Well built old tank of a deck, with plenty of arm adjustment, and only cost me £80.

However, what I was saying about cheap USB decks is born out by a lot of online reviews. Crap build quality, cheap arms and styli, heavy tracking weight, dodgy bearings, crap connectors. Unless you really don’t care about your records they’re not worth the money when you can spend a little more and get something miles and miles better.

zbonty

You really don’t have to spend much to get enjoyment from your records. My parents old deck Trio KD1033 (a rebadged Kenwood) I think it’s called from the late 70s sounds great (to my non trained, probably damaged ears!) I’ve seen them for £10 in EBay. Very old B&W speakers cost me £4 from a boot sale. Amps too can be had for not a lot.

Add another £800 for directional cables /interconnects. Job done 😉

the-muffin-man

This is more like it (and it’s not even the most expensive at $150,000)

It’s got a Smashie ‘n Nicey lever too! Let’s Rock!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Linn Sondeks are the most overrated product in hi-fi.

IMO/E

ml
    Free Member
    chiefgrooveguru

I got one of these a couple of weeks ago. It has gone into this:

I’ve removed the original valve receiver, record player and speakers and it now has two balanced mode radiator speakers, a Sonos Connect Amp, a Sky HD box, a wireless router and a network hard drive hidden inside it, plus a DVD recorder and the new record player where the old turntable was.

Muke
    Free Member

How does an Audio Techica AT LP 120 turntable rate on the STW vinylists score sheet anything better/alternatives around the £200 mark ?

trumpton
    Free Member

I got a pc sound system from Aldi and it’s brilliant. Sub and two speakers.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Lidl selling turntables now – any good?’ is closed to new replies.