Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Let's see your historic mountain biking pics
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

The game-changing, or inspiring moments.
    Here’s mine:

I want a poster of it!

Deveron53
    Free Member

Anyone realise or care what this photo represents? Any idea who the riders are? I know who they are, just asking the masses… In an attempt at educating the youth of today about the past (passed) masters.

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Here’s a teenage John Tomac cutting through a fence in his first mountain bike race in 1986. His bike is a barely modified Mongoose 24-inch BMX “cruiser class” bike with 26-inch wheels wedged in.

MussEd
    Free Member

Anyone realise or care what this photo represents? Any idea who the riders are? I know who they are, just asking the masses… In an attempt at educating the youth of today about the past (passed) masters.

All that carry-on with the mega can be written off as enthusiasm for a new bike, but this? This is just Unabashed knobbery…now get tae!

Grimy
    Free Member

Nope, dont care. Theres more to mountain biking than racing.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its Myles Rockwell being chased down Mammoth mountain during the Reebok Eliminator by Jason McRroy.Can’t remember what year.

althepal

Also looks like a retro yeti he’s on.. Love that headtube logo! Could have googled Miles Rockwell to get an idea of what years he rode for Yeti but would only have done so to appear as if I knew it so won’t bother!
    To be fair to 2retro4u wasnt he one of the original repackers?? So in fairness to his handle, he’s prob gonna have a stack load of important MTB pics!!
    ps, not meaning to be rude retro, sure you mentioned your real name a while back but can’t remember and even if I could not my place to “out” you!!
    Anyways, I like the old pics, take me back to when I was about twelve and reading about mtbs in mags!!

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX4qkAbDyyk[/video]

rob2
    Free Member

That video is ace

mamadirt
    Free Member

Any idea who the riders are?

Yep – was just about to post then I saw Rorschach’s reply. Are we right then?

That Tomac pic is class!

tazzymtb

brakes
    Free Member

ha, is that what DH used to be like?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is a very important bike in the history of the sport.

Am sure someone else knows what it is….

brakes
    Free Member

the classic mcroy pic

althepal

Rob2 +1

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

That’s the one!
    Tomac – Check
    Drop bars – check
    Tioga disk back wheel – check

There is a bike shop over here with one of those Yeti frames he raced on, (as in he raced it, not just a replica), and those AlpineStars shoes he raced in, go there just to inspired every so often. Class.

We need a picture of Tim Gould winning the world champs hill climb

brakes
    Free Member

Am sure someone else knows what it is….

it’s a Cleland Clunker!

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

We need a picture of Tim Gould winning the world champs hill climb

How’s this?

crazy-legs

McRoy = LEGEND.

RIP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Anybody recognise this, or any of the riders sitting down?
    (You bloody well should do!)
    Guess the year without clicking on the link!

ygp3ACA by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

ygp3ACD by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

crazy-legs

Dave Hemming in the blue T-shirt looking to his right. Malverns, early/mid nineties. Is that Steve Peat in the Kona shorts?!

Can’t recognise any of the others though which is a bit crap – give me a clue

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Rockwell and JMC – awesome race! Rockwell leads to the last few turns and JMC sticks a pass for the win! It was 1993. I was in Boston (US,not Lincs!) on a family holiday and saw it live on TV and still remember it clearly!

edit – doh, just watched the YouTube video – amazing race!

walleater

colnagokid

Paul Plunkett on the left in yellow & blue skinsuit

chakaping
    Free Member

Tomac’s seatpost is amazing!

mudrider
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart wrote: “This is a very important bike in the history of the sport”… …”Am sure someone else knows what it is….”

Brakes wrote: “Its a Cleland Clunker!”

I like the idea of a Cleland Clunker but Clunkers were modified from existing Scwinn bikes whilst this is the purpose built around a custom made frame. The Cluncers were American and this is English designed and made. The Clunkers used 26″ wheels and this is a 29er. It was designed by Geoff Apps who is holding it in the photo and the frame was made in Liverpool by Bill Whitcomb who I believe was an apprentice of Harry Quinn. The photo was taken in early 1984 and appeared in the second edition of Bicycle Action that same year. Gary Fisher and other US pioneers new about this bike about 1981, though the poor availability of its 700c and 650b Finnish snow tyres meant that they were not a practical alternative for early mountain bike production. But Gary’s experience of using these larger tyres may have inspired him to commision the WTB to make some 29″ Nanoraptor Tyres and so make the manufacture of modern 29ers possible.

mudrider
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1bYUSRhPRg[/video]

Rare footage of English off-road cycling pioneer Geoff Apps, riding the Cleland Aventura bicycle he designed, through the Chiltern Hills mud. This type of mud riding was commonplace but rarely photographed or videoed.

Riding conditions were often far worse than those shown and sometimes the mud churned up by the horses was too deep and sticky to be ridden. These Cleland bikes could cope with several days of riding in muddy conditions without any maintenance being required or long-term damage to components being caused. This durability led to muddy conditions being sought out and enjoyed whilst riders of other bikes preferred to seek out dryer trails and weather.

Why 30 years on, mountain bikers prefer to get cold, wet and damage their bikes rather than fit mudguards is a mystery to me. But this macho approach could be the reason why so few women cycle off-road and why so many riders seem to prefer well drained trail centres.

For more information and history visit the [url=http://clelandcycles.wordpress.com]Cleland Cycles website[/url]

hilton83
    Free Member

The chap above looks effing miserable, he’s so embarassed being caught on camera with those mudgaurds on 😆

Northwind

jedi

+1 walleater!!! wade’s a legend

Steve77
    Free Member

Steve77
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

If I don’t recognise any of the bikes or riders, does this mean I can’t enjoy mtbing as much as before?
    I’m sure somebody said here that if you don’t have the experience, you can’t understand, or something…

Steve77
    Free Member

monkeyboyjc

PeterPoddy – is that Warner sitting down in the grey (1993?) MBUK kit?

timax
    Free Member

@peterpoddy, Steve Peat, Rob’caveman’ Warner, Andrew Titley, Paul Plunkit, Dave hemming… er … 😀

bigrich

hypothetical conversation between me and my ladypartnercohabbiteedefacto:

‘hiya love, want to come out on a ride? I’m going to pedal very slowly through the clart, but it’s OK, I’ve got mudguards on’

‘no’

teamslug
    Free Member

Always remember getting this video free in MBUK. Can’t believe its out there in mpeg land. Sure I’ve still got it in the loft. JMC is a legend

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Let's see your historic mountain biking pics’ is closed to new replies.