Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)
  • Lets see those winter road bikes (… have I gone too early?)
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

With rides getting wetter and darker it’s time to dig out the winter bike and start to strip down the race/summer bike. We’ll probably get a right old Indian summer now, you can all thank me later 🙂

So here’s mine in all it’s glory…

Toying with the idea of treating it to some nice new 11sp Ultegra (but that would mean a new rear hub probably). Or maybe swapping the old 10sp Di2 Ultegra from the race bike onto it and giving that an upgrade next year, but it would be external Di2 which is a bit messy. Guards are looking a bit old and shabby too, might be time for some nice new PDW ones. Keep toying with the idea of a frame upgrade but really can’t quite justify it.

So what will you be riding this winter and what will you be treating it to? (other than a damn good thrashing!)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

UK weather: Hottest September day for 50 years expected as Britain set for three-day heatwave

And my winter bike is currently the same as my summer bike 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Summer bike:

Winter bike:

It’s just had a new 11-23 Ultegra cassette and Dura-ace chain (10speed), it does get downgraded to some RS61 wheels and winter tyres, and does get raceblade longs but other than that it just ticks along.

mrblobby
    Free Member

UK weather: Hottest September day for 50 years expected as Britain set for three-day heatwave

Bugger! 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Always guarded….

simondbarnes

Genesis Equilibrium 853 with sp dynamo hub, USE Revo / redeye lights, TRP brakes and 105 gears.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Not any old bike, its the wheelies bike

[url=https://flic.kr/p/M6eJ75]IMG_20160901_093253147[/url] by barry_kellett99, on Flickr

scotroutes

My winter bike is my tourer and (sometime) CX bike

This is it on a train prior to me doing NCN78 last Saturday (yes, all of it)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice those.

Quite tempted by a dynamo setup as much of my riding is in the dark, though again hard to justify as I don’t really have any problem with my Strada.

scotroutes, always nice to see a bit of Ti 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Ribble Sportive 365
    11sp 105
    Giant P-SL1 wheels
    SKS Chromoplastic guards

I ride it all year round when conditions are wet.

lunge

What should be my winter bike:

But, it’s so dull to ride that I got to the point I was choosing not to go for a ride over actually riding it. It’s a functional but plain boring bike.

What actually is my winter bike:

Or what would be better referred to as my old summer bike. It fits, I like riding it and it’s old enough that I don’t mind getting it covered in mud and road salt. No guards, but I don’t mind at all.

Haze

On the way, just putting on 5800 for 11 speed and need to find a new ‘guard solution…

Mister-P
    Free Member

simondbarnes

Oh, I’ve got one of those too Mister P 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ssLQEL]Bank Holiday spin[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lack of guards on a winter bike is madness 🙂

Haze, nice that.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Winter/summer/race/commuter

Might get it some brake pads and new cables, still got a roll of leccy tape in the same nuance of black so the ripped bar tape will be staying for a while, too.

edit: just realised how crap that picture is…..

epicsteve
    Free Member

I don’t have room for extra bikes down here so will probably just look at getting some clip on mudguards for my Roubaix.

fifeandy
    Free Member

No guards, but I don’t mind at all.

How can you not mind a chamois that is being continually blasted by <5°C water?! 😐

ScottChegg
    Free Member

…its the wheelies bike…

I’d pay real money to see you wheelie that.

How can you not mind a chamois that is being continually blasted by <5°C water?!

Er, waterproofs?

Haze

It’s not so much the wet chamois (ass saver can deal with that) it’s shit for the guys behind if you ride in groups.

Front helps keep the feet dry, much more civilised!

chakaping
    Free Member

will probably just look at getting some clip on mudguards for my Roubaix.

They work very well IME.

Sometimes wonder whether I really need a proper winter bike, but I do ride it loads.

mrblobby
    Free Member

How can you not mind a chamois that is being continually blasted by <5°C water?!

Indeed. Long winter miles on a soggy chamois, great for breeding saddle sores. And then dirty road spray up your front, in your face, over your bottles and bike. All sorts of crap in it off the fields down country lanes. Ideal for getting a dodgy stomach.

It’s not so much the wet chamois (ass saver can deal with that) it’s shit for the guys behind if you ride in groups.

And this x1000. Bloody inconsiderate.

Anyway, meant to be a winter bike thread and not a guard rant 🙂

Pyro

I end up on the ‘cross bike for winter – from a mildly pimped Giant Defy to a mildly pimped Cotic X. Needs some lighter wheels, though, that’s next on the list.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Current one..

Crappy old Ribble.

Going to change it this year.

But the Vaya also get used a lot too- Just needs the guards fitting

lunge

ow can you not mind a chamois that is being continually blasted by <5°C water?!

I had a feeling that comment might bring up some reactions.

So to the above, no, I don’t mind. Loads of chamois cream and all is well, no issue at all. And yes, I do ride far enough, I like a traditional winter of long, relaxed riding.

The group comment is also fair, however, almost all of my riding is done solo so it’s not an issue. if I’m with a group then the kaff comes out, dull as it is.

pdw
    Free Member

Each to their own, but I couldn’t be doing without a mudguard for winter riding. Even if it’s not raining, the roads are wet for most of winter. Why get yourself wet and covered in crap off the road if you don’t have to?

Anyway, here’s mine:

It’s since gained a longer rear mudguard for the benefit of others.

iainc

I use the Zefal Swan/Croozer guards on mine and they keep me pretty dry on winter road stuff. Added benefit for off road use and can be removed in seconds, tough I rarely take the front one off.

No use on road group rides though…

mrblobby
    Free Member

pdw, nice that. 4S disc?

JackHammer

What guards do people recommend when there’s a gnat’s nadgers worth of air between my front tyre and the bottom of the steerer?

The bike is Gensis Volant used 90% of the time for commuting.

Is it a case of getting a smaller tyre (currently running 25c GP 4000S’s)

or

Are there some magical guards that you can point me in the direction of?

Liked the look of the raceblades but i think they’ll be too thick to fit the gap.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Why get yourself wet and covered in crap off the road if you don’t have to?

Because mudguards should have no place on any bicycle ever*. And actually getting covered in crap seems to be half the satisfaction of getting out and cycling in rubbish weather. Probably something to do with coming at road riding from an MTB background – and having grit between my teeth for the last 25 winters. And not being precious… 😉

* my opinion, obvs. But they make any road bike instantly look so lame, tired, unloved and sad (IMO).

mrblobby
    Free Member

JackHammer, might be worth a look at the ones Giant make for the Defy that have the cutout around the bridge…

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-defy-speedshield-mudguard.html

amedias
    Free Member

OR

OR

Although they’ve had some spec changes since these pics they’re broadly the same…also used a lot in spring autumn and summer 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

A fine collection there!

chakaping
    Free Member

And not being precious…

You seem a bit precious about how bikes look, if you don’t mind me saying.

amedias
    Free Member

A fine collection there!

thanks 🙂

Haven’t washed any of them in the last year or so, only occasional wipe down after a really shitty ride, decent guards keep most of the muck off, and polished bits hide the scratches pretty well, doubly so on camera. All they ever need is brakepad scum wiping off and a bit of lube every now and then, several thousands of miles under their belts between them and used in all weathers.

The Mercian is fixed/free, mostly ridden free and is lazily comfortable, a little under-geared but excellent for spinning along and keeping warm on winter club runs.

The Trek is my old Winter/Audax bike and is perfect in every way for me except lacking in tyre clearance, hence….

The Singular, bought to replace the Trek and is absolutely ace, comfy, quick enough, and the handling is brilliant with the 60mm offset fork on it, nimble but stable and fits 35c without guards 30c at a push with them, I’ve only put about 1200 miles on it so far but It’s shaping up to be one of my most favourite bikes ever.

TiRed

Just built this up from bits in the garage and a donor frame (Boardman CX in Imperial Cycles livery). Cross bike to be raced in the Central League on some hand built wheels, not these Ksyriums.

The Defy has been returned to Teen2 for school duties. The bracket securing one of the rear stays on the Giant mudguards failed where it clamps the mudguard blade. Otherwise they were pretty good.

My fixed wheel road bike has guards all year round, so I’m not sure whether to add them to a bike I’ll race. The Tortec reflective ones on the Paddy Wagon have been flawless, the stays are from previous SKS versions that have snapped!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

You seem a bit precious about how bikes look, if you don’t mind me saying.

No problem at all. I am avowedly so.. 😀

See Rule 4

(Half in jest though, kids 😉 you can all do what y’like.. )

prawny

This is my all year round commuter, and only road bike at the moment.

Recently extended the front mudguard with a bit of milk bottle and a nut and bolt I found on the floor, will put a longer one on ready for winter because it’s still a bit shorter than the Chromoplastics on my old bike

pdw
    Free Member

pdw, nice that. 4S disc?

Thanks – and yep, 4S disc.

theboatman
    Free Member

[/url]IMG_20160424_141725 by IamDeathside, on Flickr[/img]

And yes, I have some full guards waiting for the darker months.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Lets see those winter road bikes (… have I gone too early?)’ is closed to new replies.