Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • Leon Brittan's dead
  • iolo
    Free Member

Another from that era gone who no longer has to answer any child abuse inquiries.
    It was amazing how all those files were on his desk, he didn’t read them and mysteriously vanished.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My thoughts exactly. Where’s kaesea or jivehoney at a push? We need some evidence…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ken Dodds dad’s dog’s dead.

DezB
    Free Member

Ken Dodds dad’s dog’s dead.

Diddy?

Oh, sorry. Wrong joke.

Junkyard
    Free Member

as well as turning a blind eye to abuse *he did a lot for science as well eh debunking the global warming myth

* you cannot slander the dead knock yourself out 😉

miketually
    Free Member

I’m very sorry to hear of his timely death…

PJM1974
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a rape allegation dating back to the 1960s? Of course, were I a suspicious man I might suspect that any investigation into this or Elm Lodge was being stalled for a reason…

BillMC

^^this.

Coyote
    Free Member

So, maybe we will get a little nearer to the truth now or are there still some more to fall off the perch first.

jambalaya
    Free Member

He received the file and he passed it on to be investigated. I believe when the inquiry is completed he will be cleared of any inference of wrong doing.

It’s all gone quiet on Rotheram hasn’t it, a real scandal there and one I fear is being repeated around the country today.

globalti
    Free Member

No doubt in my mind; senior politicians all involved so the longer the enquiry can be deleyed, the better. And child abuse isn’t confined to Rotherham, for sure.

peteimpreza

I wore my dancing shoes out when Thatcher went so I’ll just say good riddance to bad rubbish.

My uncle wroked in the civil service at the he was in the Thatcher government and then suddenly moved to a role in the EC. There was no doubt at the time it was linked to his predaliction for young boys.

footflaps

I met him as a young boy when we was campaigning in West Riding back in the day…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

I met him last year, clearly you cannot draw any inference for what may have happened in the past but he was a very distinguished old man

binners

Child abuse. Pfft. What about his real offences. He was just another one of Thatchers uncaring henchmen, responsible for laying waste to entire communities in the north without a second thought, then carried on with the usual well trodden, taxpayer-milking House of Lords/EU Commissioner route

*goes to dust off dancing shoes*

jambalaya
    Free Member

@binners, I think that view is the undercurrent for what’s been posted above

BTW working for the EU and actually being actively involved we should commend him for, better than UKIP who take the money and rarely turn up. House of Lords you only get paid for turning up and then just a few hundred quid a day. Bargain.

chestrockwell

He received the file and he passed it on to be investigated. I believe when the inquiry is completed he will be cleared of any inference of wrong doing.

It’s all gone quiet on Rotheram hasn’t it, a real scandal there and one I fear is being repeated around the country today.

This made me LOL.

Junkyard
    Free Member

EDIT: made me LOL as well but he actually means it.

even by your standards that is AWESOME *

On the one hand we have you on the other we have Jive. Neither capable of seeing the truth.

*unless of course you are predicting a cover up

binners

BTW working for the EU and actually being actively involved we should commend him for, better than UKIP who take the money and rarely turn up.

So the benchmark for someone being worthy of respect and admiration is now ‘well…. he’s not as bad as Farage’?

I’ll stick with my original appraisal thanks

senorj

*goes to dust off dancing shoes*

Tango or foxtrot? 😀

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

BTW working for the EU and actually being actively involved we should commend him for, better than UKIP who take the money and rarely turn up. House of Lords you only get paid for turning up and then just a few hundred quid a day.

Choosing who’s best from that line-up is kinda like judging a shiniest turd competition

jambalaya
    Free Member

Surely if you have a file of allegations you pass them to the police, although I appreciate their track record isn’t so great and certainly wasn’t back then. Just because someone handed you a letter/file/etc doesn’t make you personally responsible for the matter from that point on.

Lets wait and see what the outcome of the investigation is, I hope the issues around it’s staffing can be sorted soon.

binners

Yeah, but lets be honest, without going along with the swivel eyed loon conspiracy theories, all we’ve heard so far sounds a bit ‘the dog ate my homework sir’ doesn’t it?

And the ‘investigation’, such as it is, has been a catalogue of brutal insensitivity, bordering on contempt, towards the victims. And at best; utter incompetence! To the point where you do wonder if its wilful?

The whole thing is a shambolic disgrace! Would you have any confidence in whatever whitewash report it eventually produces? If it ever actually does?

RustySpanner

jambalaya – Member

Surely if you have a file of allegations you pass them to the police

And if you have any decency whatsoever, you make damn sure something is done about it.

He is damned by his inaction.
    His failure to act speaks volumes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I do get the “dog eat my homework” excuse but is that really an issue for Brittan personally. He passed it on plus what about the Tory MP who put it forward (I don’t know the answer, not a trick/troll.

He is damned by his inaction.
    His failure to act in the manner expected of anyone, let alone someone in his position speaks volumes.

Let’s wait for inquiry when we’ll have a better idea of the facts and chain of events

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Now he’s dead all you’ll have is a series of hearsay allegations and counter allegations. The documentary evidence has gone down the back of the sofa.

binners

You have any confidence in the inquiry? Its a joke!! I was reading yesterday that Ben Emerson QC (sounds quite ‘establishment, doesn’t he?), in the absence of a chair, has effectively appointed himself as such, and is basically bullying and intimidating the victims into silence.

Sound confidence inspiring to you? Because to me it sounds like more of the total shambles its been from day one!

oldboy
    Free Member

Hey, you can’t beat the “establishment”, you ingnorant working class plebs 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@binners enquiries are generally run by lawyers/ judges etc, that’s normal, that’s how they work. We are not going to have it run by some bloke down the pub are we ?

Now he’s dead all you’ll have is a series of hearsay allegations and counter allegations. The documentary evidence has gone down the back of the sofa.

Actually the fact he’s dead changes nothing other than the fact you cannot interview him, but as a 75 year old man with cancer what are you going to learn. From what I’ve read he was very distressed by the allegation made against him last year dating back to 1967, I do think there is an asymmetry to a person making an allegation remaining anonymous whilst the accused has their name bandied about prior to any charges being brought.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Numerous reports online from Jul 2014 of a statement from Britton (and parts of a letter released) showing he passed the dossier to the DPP and the Police.

grantway
    Free Member

Hate that bloke full stop
    Remember seeing out in Covent Garden many years back sporting a slight black eye

El-bent
    Free Member

I met him last year, clearly you cannot draw any inference for what may have happened in the past but he was a very distinguished old man

And from this meeting you can? Right.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but as a 75 year old man with cancer what are you going to learn.

Your “logic” never ceases to surprise me
    Is having cancer like having alzheimer’s in your view?

What Binners and Rusty said

Seriously what sort of person gets a dossier of high level sexual abuse and forgets all about it and then admits to it afterwards?

Let’s wait for inquiry when we’ll have a better idea of the facts and chain of events

We know them as they are in the open he got the dossier, he said he did not get it , then said he had no recollection [ why would you remember this event eh ?] he then admitted he did get it [ a letter response appeared iirc to prove his earlier statement to be BS] and the dossier then disappeared after he had it and Sweet FA happened.

I dont think you need to be either sherlock Holmes or Jive to work this one out tbh – any more than we need Silcott to tell us about Blair.

Take you pick from incompetent lying bastard [ till theletter proved he was lying and he changed his story] or a corrupt individual who enabled paedos to carry on unabated
    I know its rude to say it but you have to be just trolling your wee heart out on every STW subject.
    As for your meeeting was THM there with some MP’s 😉

Binners I am not sure we should involve the victims as much as they seem to wish. Justice needs some detachment and any figure will be “establishment” as they will work in the legal field or some such

Victims are after all the witnesses and they should not be involved in picking the system or the judge any more than the accused should.

binners

I’m not saying whether they should be involved or not. What I’m saying is that you can’t involve them – and let’s be honest, it was only ever being used as a fig leaf – then start ordering them to shut up when they voice entirely legitimate concerns about the rank incompetence (at best!) in the way the whole thing is being carried out.

It stinks! And I think we should be reserving judgement on Leon and his selfless (highly paid) public service, until a lot of questions are answered about his personal involvement in some extremely dodgy goings on

Coyote
    Free Member

just a few hundred quid a day. Bargain.

What planet are you on? Cretin.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Wasn’t there cameras at Elm Guest House too?

EDIT: Also of note that Malcolm Rifkind, Chair of the UK Intelligence and Security Committee is/was Leon Brittan’s cousin

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is having cancer like having alzheimer’s in your view?

He gave his statement, he passed the dossier on to the police and the DPP. Asking a 75 year old man to remember something that happened what 25 year ago ? Not surprising there may be some variance in what he remembered. Being seriously ill does impact you in many different ways. Any further questioning is going to result in him repeating the same answer or quite legitimately saying he doesn’t remember. It’s not the home secretary’s job to do the filing and as I posted where is the MP’s copy, surely he didn’t just hand over an original it being the only copy ?

All the hate here is politically motivated as Brittan was Home Secretary under Thatcher.

I dont think you need to be either sherlock Holmes or Jive to work this one out tbh – any more than we need Silcott to tell us about Blair.

Blair will come out of Silcot clean, Blair is a successful politician so he’s going to have departmental advice to back him up. Never for 1 second did I believe Iraq could strike within 45 minutes with a WMD, but I do believe Blair had sufficient “intelligence” briefing material to allow him to make that statement. We also had a free vote in Parliament, MPs can be as skeptical about the claims as am I and vote accordingly. Any MP of either side who says they voted for the Iraq war based on the 45 min claim or any other details provided by Blair are trying to re-write history

BigJohn

footflaps – Member
    I met him as a young boy when we was campaigning in West Riding back in the day…..

By my reckoning that means Footflaps must be about 120 years old!

binners

It’s not the home secretary’s job to do the filing

Filing? Is that what it comes under? So a fellow MP comes to you with an extensive dossier claiming that a number of your colleagues, as well as senior members of the police, are involved in a peadophile ring, and for years have been systematically abusing young boys, and in some cases to the degree that they’ve been subsequently killed?

No… you’re right. Why would you remember that any more than anything else that landed on your desk? I’m sure you wouldn’t bother making any enquiries at all about any truth being in it? Or indeed, if it had even been followed up, at all? No… I probably wouldn’t have done that either. That being the kind of thing not really being worthy of note, as it happens all the time. You’d just pass it on to Beryl, ask her to pass it on to whoever, and think nothing more about it? 🙄

All the hate here is politically motivated as Brittan was Home Secretary under Thatcher.

No… thats just an additional, equally valid, reason to dislike him. But its got eff all to do with people (lets just call them people, as it sounds better than victims, or survivors eh?) demanding answers about his personal involvement in all this. I’m not one for conspiracies, but this whole thing, and his part in it, is riddled with inconsistencies, and quite frankly stinks to high heaven!

And now we have an inquiry set up that, being as charitable as possible to them, doesn’t seem in any particular hurry to come up with any answers

dazh

Wow. Your party loyalty/blinkers/rose tinted glasses is being stretched to the extreme on this one. I hated him for his involvement in the miners strike among other things, but that pales into insignificance against the stench of child abuse, rape, murder, and potential cover-ups to protect those who were involved.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Leon Brittan's dead’ is closed to new replies.