Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Lending someone a tube
  • chakaping
    Free Member

If you give someone a tube when they’ve gone out without a spare then how are they ever going to learn?

Tough love next time Real Man!

RealMan
    Free Member

If you give someone a tube when they’ve gone out without a spare then how are they ever going to learn?

Well I didn’t really want to, because I run tubeless, and only carry two tubes. So if I had had two failures I would’ve been stuffed. However, because of their position and how they were asking, they forced me into giving them one really.

It does happen that I do owe them about a fiver, maybe I should just not pay that back?

simondbarnes

I’ve rescued people before by giving them a tube, most recently last week when riding to work. Don’t expect anything back. Would like to think someone would do the same for me.

alpinestar
    Free Member

drac, if you read what i said it doesnt mention forgetting to bring any kit,or riding of laughing bro. it says if they dont have any and couldnt be arsed to bring or buy there own. im sure there is a difference between that and simply forgetting isnt there. ive also met people with tubes and no pump so how is that explained away. is it simply they forgot or they thought sod it someone else can buy one for me to use and save me the money.

if that seems fine to you im more than happy for you to send me £5 worth of diesel for my car , save me the effort of putting some in bro. 😉

Drac

You’re right it doesn’t, it is a very arrogant post though calling people stupid and nobs for not having a tube then assuming it’s because they can’t be bothered.

Your not a friend or random stranger in trouble and certainly not my ‘bro’ so pay for your own fuel.

alpinestar
    Free Member

i think its obvious that you would first asses the situation at hand, hi everything ok, no i forgot my tubes shite. no probs heres one. or hi everything ok. no brought no tubes or pump hoping id be ok. nob serves you right then. see ya. 2 different senarious there isnt there tbh.

your not my bro or friend or random stranger. you seem quite opinionated though fella. moderator or not. seems your opinion counts more than mine eh.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I’ve given strangers tubes when asked and they always give me a fiver! I’ll a Yorkshireman though!
    It’s the same with chain links!

Drac

I’d still happily give them a tube.

Yes I’m opinionated but I take others on board if it’s sensible, when it’s not it’s best not to. I’m not sure why that matters even as a mod, we’re allowed opinions too.

DrT
    Free Member

Ill always happily give someone a tube or repair a puncture for them.

Not so long ago I was unloading bikes from the car outside the house and a couple of guys asked to borrow a tube as they had punctured near my house. I gave them a tube, fitted it for them and sent them on their way. The balance of Karma was returned when one of them turned up on my doorstep later that evening with a couple of beers. Just the way it should be 🙂

smell_it
    Free Member

Getting back a lent tube punctured, shows about as much respect as getting back a lent condom complete with fluids. Did you show them that picture of you in that king of the mountains top?

cookeaa

I’d give someone a tube, I would never lend them one

+1

I’ve happily given my spare tube to a stranger before. can’t believe how many of you wouldn’t help a fellow cyclist in need…. Thatchers bloody children…

pastcaring
    Free Member

does anyone carry a puncture kit?

i’d offer the puncture kit first, if the tube was beyond repair i’d give them a tube.

GW
    Free Member

I give my neighbours free tubes (and often fit them for them) when their kids bikes get punctures.
    I always try to remember to give back a tube I’m lent but I never used to ever take a pump to a trail centre as there’s always a group of folk with ridiculous sized backpacks standing around chatting at the start of each section to borrow one off.

MrNutt
    Free Member

christ I wouldn’t give a toss, its just stuff after all, how long have you owed him a fiver for?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

One day you will need favour from a stranger that you cannot repay. It’s called altruism.

alpinestar
    Free Member

putting asside all the opinions we have such as yes id lend one or yes id give one free or even yes id fix the bike for them which in most cases id do myself. who believes like me that if you are a cyclist then its YOUR responsibillity to carry atleast enough gear to get you on your way with out relying on others to bail you out. im not talking about having 5 punctures in one day and running out of tubes or even making the mistake of forgetting to take all you gear. im talking about the ones that dont/ didnt bring anything hoping someone elses hard earned cash can be pished away giving your gear away to them. why is it karma then. also if it were that you ever needed help from a stranger in most cases it would be for this exact reason, run out mid ride or frogot by accident. not couldnt be arsed to buy it.

you wouldnt go running with no laces in your shoes or swimming with no trunks hoping some one would sort you out so i feel im right thinking the same about bike gear.

drac. if i sounded arrogant i apologise but there are to many tight gits out there hoping the world will do them a favour everytime they ask and it wont in my book. ive given tubes and chain links and even once a spair folding tyre to the needy but never to a scrounger who couldnt buy there own to start with.

DezB
    Free Member

There was me thinking I had alpinestar’s opinion covered on the first page..

montylikesbeer

a tube is 30 bob, whats the issue, lend away, what goes around comes around

scottidog
    Free Member

putting asside all the opinions we have such as yes id lend one or yes id give one free or even yes id fix the bike for them which in most cases id do myself. who believes like me that if you are a cyclist then its YOUR responsibillity to carry atleast enough gear to get you on your way with out relying on others to bail you out. im not talking about having 5 punctures in one day and running out of tubes or even making the mistake of forgetting to take all you gear. im talking about the ones that dont/ didnt bring anything hoping someone elses hard earned cash can be pished away giving your gear away to them. why is it karma then. also if it were that you ever needed help from a stranger in most cases it would be for this exact reason, run out mid ride or frogot by accident. not couldnt be arsed to buy it.

you wouldnt go running with no laces in your shoes or swimming with no trunks hoping some one would sort you out so i feel im right thinking the same about bike gear.

drac. if i sounded arrogant i apologise but there are to many tight gits out there hoping the world will do them a favour everytime they ask and it wont in my book. ive given tubes and chain links and even once a

You have a pretty low opinion of people, just give him the tube.

RealMan
    Free Member

Getting back a lent tube punctured, shows about as much respect as getting back a lent condom complete with fluids. Did you show them that picture of you in that king of the mountains top?

+1, and lol.

I don’t mind lending someone a tube at all, it was more about getting it back punctured (and possibly unrepairable).

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Lending someone a tube’ is closed to new replies.