Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 280 total)
  • Leith Hill – MEGA – who knows about this?????
  • JPcapel
    Free Member

I start my ride last night, with geetee1972 & hei hei, he mentions he has received text messages advising of a mega event on Leith Hill in the Surrey Hills. We all dismiss this thinking – No, cant be happening.

At about 8pm(ish) we find a guy at the tower on Leith Hill as entrant No. 36 (he said the last person to enter, so 36 took part) with a number board saying Leith Hill Mega.

Anyone know anything about this? sounds comical, but know doubt fun and good on who ever for orgainising it!
    Would be nice to know next time its run again.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The text messages I got were from someone called ‘Dave’.

I got a little flurry of excitment in my tummy………

Ah Dave…. <sighs> 😥

psychle
    Free Member

😆

You still searching for him Gee? 😆

JPcapel
    Free Member

psychle – we almost laughed in the guys face when we saw his Mega number board, but then had to ask what the deal was….but he clearly had stumbled across the event and just decided to take part, rather than set out to be part of it. He said it had a proper running start with the bikes all upside down around the tower.

psychle
    Free Member

Sure it would’ve been fun, but probably not a ‘sanctioned’ or legit event, probably something organised locally/underground (mates perhaps?). Wonder how they were running it re. timings etc?

It’s not a bad descent down from the Tor through to the cricket pitch, then through the bombholes into waggle dance/deliverance, on to summer lightning and then onwards down the trail that runs beside the 4×4 path till you turn off on to the BW down to the Rookery… wonder if that’s the route they were following?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I can just picture a Mega at Leith – all trying to out boutique/bling each other 😆

geetee1972
    Free Member

wonder if that’s the route they were following?

Yep pretty much that was the route they were following, although the chap said they were missing out a lot of the ‘good bits’. Not sure what he meant.

njee20
    Free Member

How strange! I’d be well up for that!

freeridenick
    Free Member

Did you not hear about it before, on the front page of the advertiser last week. 😆

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I got an email about it last week, but couldn’t make it. would have been a good laugh!

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Sounds like a laugh!

Much shorter, but I reckon the better route (for those who know the area well) would have been…
    Tower, head down to Donnie Darko, onto Windy Willows, turn right onto the bridleway, left towards the road (only a very, very small climb here), right onto the road for 200mtrs, right onto Velouria and then down Bassanova to finish! That flows really nicely. You could extend that by dropping down to Broadmoor, climb up to Wolvens and finish down the Rookery.

There’s a really good link up on Redlands but more jumpy/downhill. Just too contentious at the moment though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Could be fun, uber bling niche mega event 😉

Prizes for the most number of CCDB’s, Boss forks & XX spotted he hee

geetee1972
    Free Member

Prizes for the most number of CCDB’s, Boss forks & XX spotted he hee

😳

DTP that’s the route we rode last night and I was thinking the same thing as you. The redlands route would be awesome as well; you could time just the DH sections:

Section one – that rooty off camber section that dives into the series of bus stops down the fire road.

Section two would be Foot & Mouth

Section three would be what we call Fire Beater (because of the broken spade at the top of the trail apparently). It’s the one with the drop over the fallen tree half way down, but not to be confused with the tree drop at the start of Mangrove Alley.

That’s probably a total 5 minutes altogether.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

geetee1972

Was thinking of…
    start at the beginning of Deja Vu/Turning Japanese (shared start), cut off left and drop onto Countdown to Ecstasy, onto the re-built White Jam for the top section (avoid losing the height on Foot and Mouth) and then onto Fire Whacker.
    Haven’t timed it, but we reckon somewhere around 7 minutes of freeride/downhill fun times!

psychle
    Free Member

Where’s all this gnarly stuff then? I know nothing of it, sounds like I’m missing out!? Probably just as well actually, my skill levels are rather low at the moment, would probably just wipe myself out 😳 😆

pedromc
    Free Member

Came 10th out of 35
    Lung busting fun!

dhmatt
    Free Member

Such a laugh, can’t wait for the next!

.duncan
    Free Member

this just popped up on my vimeo: http://vimeo.com/25459210

[video]http://vimeo.com/25459210[/video]

blooddonor
    Free Member

Looked fun that, heard Bernard Kerr came first.

winterfold
    Free Member

Yes that looks massive fun – I’d be up for some of it if theres another one

bent_udder
    Free Member

And people wonder why all the new trails get closed down by landowners…

robnav
    Free Member

sweet video duncan, great race. flowed well. definitely made the most of the terrain. top marks to the folically challenged one!!lets do it again soon bruv.hopefully ill be a bit fitter next time and be able to keep up with somebody who has a better sense of direction than ive got!

lexjason
    Free Member

how often is this run? are there other down hill events held there?

winterfold
    Free Member

I didn’t clock anything new in that? Or were you making a more general point bent_udder?

Love the dog walker just after the start – didn’t bat an eyelid – hope we don’t look like that all the time… (see above)

pedromc
    Free Member

You should stay at home and watch telly you bent udder!

PJ266
    Free Member

Class!

God forbid some people had some (organised) fun.

jake-snake
    Free Member

Was the most fun I have ever had at the surry hills, udder man = sad man. Many thanks to those who sorted this (you know who you are) it was the bollocks.

freeridenick
    Free Member

😛

pedromc
    Free Member

Is udder man the pratt who would get out of the way?

mandog

looks excellent fun – is this another BR4R Jake?

mivi
    Free Member

The tower is a very high profile point to start from if you want to attract the attention of the anti-bikers and the route as shown on that video immediately down the steep side is simply not safe for a 36 bike pack to race down. Unless you’ve ponced along since getting on your bike at the tower youre going too fast by the time you get any visibility over the hill to see anyone walking up…i really hope they had spotters at least. There were plenty of other options they could have taken to be off the walkers paths and a bit less visible.
    It’s awesome fun for sure and i’ve long wanted to do something similar, but either dont shout about it afterwards or give a bit of thought to the route.

Sonor
    Free Member

Is udder man the pratt who would get out of the way?

Udder man was one of the first people to fight for improved access for mountain bikers on Leith hill, by working with the land owners, so I can imagine he’d be a bit peeved if there are any more stunts like this as while it may only be a minority doing it, it reflects badly on all.

jake-snake
    Free Member

its not BR4R and I dont know who sorted it but it was a very good crack, and no body got hurt or had a problem. Was just some lads having fun on there bikes, its not reflecting badly on anyone.
    Who ever sorted it many thanks and send me an invite next time.

pedromc
    Free Member

Sorry udder man

Pauly

Gutted I couldn’t make it. Bloody M25 traffic.

Heard it was great craic though.

Sonor
    Free Member

Was just some lads having fun on there bikes, its not reflecting badly on anyone.

Being a little more discreet would be good.

brooess
    Free Member

+1 for Bent_Udder as one of the most active people in the area helping to keep us access.
    And he has a point. Events like this give the antis ammunition…

brooess
    Free Member

Just seen the video. frankly given the amount of contention around mountain biking in the area, a group that big charging around one of the most popular bits of Surrey Hills is really just deeply unhelpful.

Try and understand how it feels for someone out for a quiet walk with kids or dogs, people…

Hurtwood MTB code of conduct… Groups of no more than 6…

jedi

high5 the organiser and the riders 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cox.

As above, more ammunition to the antis, which is the last thing we need

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 280 total)

The topic ‘Leith Hill – MEGA – who knows about this?????’ is closed to new replies.