Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Lee Quarry and MX riders- your thoughts?
  • TonyL
    Free Member

Motor bikes are not allowed in the quarry except as part of an organised event. If you see them there please inform the Police and get a log number. If you can get a photo and or number plate please pass it on to me or the police. Ask them to leave if you are able/confident enough to do so.

They can use cowm leisure just over the hill, its not free and has rules but if they don't use it that too will eventually go it needs supporting to survive.

stumpyjon

It does need reporting, the police have been known to actually confiscate and destroy bikes around here. It is a problem in the quarry, they come in off Rooley Moor (which they also shouldn't be anywhere near). Given the amount of money and effort that has recently gone into Lee Quarry these tossers need shooting (I don't understand why they think they have the right to come in and destroy someone elses legitmate work and endanger those people who have a legitmate right to be there). They do have facilities locally (as pointed out above). They are incredibly dangerous, I've had them go past me at speed a number of times and get a face full of gravel as they pass. They've wrecked some of the bridleways locally.

Not sure how they're going to stop them though, the top of the quarry isn't fenced and neither is Cragg Quarry. There has been enough erosion in Lee Quarry in places just from MTBs, a few MXs will tear it up completely.

I don't have any sympathy for them either, we are restricted as to where we can (legally) ride, they're even more restricted. Thing is if everyone had complete freedom of access the 4 x 4 drivers and MXs would effectively drive everybody else off from some areas.

hora
    Free Member

philfive- I decided to go home shortly after as well. I'd only been there an hour but the MX riders put me off. I'll take a camera with me one early evening this week and will post up pics here/call the Police if I see any. Thanks guys.

I can see any normal folk being put off using Lee Quarry. Thats not on.

thepodge
    Free Member

Hora when you next thinking of going over? I was thinking I might go after work one day

hora
    Free Member

What timeish does it get dark now?

thepodge
    Free Member

Half six ish, I finish at four in stockport so could motor over after that

philfive
    Free Member

i'm up next saturday morning, to be fair you need more than an hour to enjoy lee quarry, i stand around chatting for more than that 😀

hora
    Free Member

Agree, they put me right off. The wind on the outermost edge was 'interesting'!

Podge- tomorrows weather looks good. Remember though, I'm on-call at the moment.

rangerbill

Hora,
    its generally agreed with the problem of illegal Off roaders that we ask people to ring the crimestoppers number or the local police station, report the offence and get a log number. This way the Police can build up a pattern and then hold an operation to clamp down on the problem. 999 is the number you would call for accidents or emergencies (me legs dropped off, my house is on fire etc)
    There will be more signs going up around Rooley moor road (and the whole of the South Pennines in general) which explains about section 59 giving police the power to seize vehicles. The signs are seen to be the first warning (whether they have been read or not) and the second warning by the Police is when the vehicle can be seized.

singlespeedstu, sorry, didnt know about this daytime MOT.

For info you can run a motorbike without any lights (though if it has a back light, it MUST have a front light) but it still has to be taxed, insured and have an daytime MOT.

hora
    Free Member

Ta. Although I am not a big bloke by any stretch of the imagination I can see how other quarry users will be intimidated by these types (and put off). It put me off staying there with the noise then witnessing one using the trails.

I wont say anything to any of them- I imagine me taking a blatant photo of them will pique their interest accordingly 8)

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

if its hte same people they have been seen riding the wrong way up berms and on one occasion pulled an air rifle on legitimate trai users , apparrantly in a primitive attempt at humour .ho ho. report the bastards

hora
    Free Member

mr potatohead its the same people. I looked them in the eye and they look bloody simple.

hora
    Free Member

Called the local station there, logged and will take my camera.

hora
    Free Member

Oh and will pack my keyboard for offense/defence reasons 😆

Blower
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Does http://www.cowmleisure.com/ cost money to use? (or it must do?!)

hows the on one goin
    fine

i said something but they just ignored me

Although I sat and watched them: I reckon they were mid-teens and one mid-30's. Abit simple looking (and thats an honest assesment- their open faced helmets/no goggles showed simple clean but very working class complexions). Are you sure MX is an expensive hobby? They looked bloody thick to me*.

you being serious Hora or what?
    Working class huh..

taxi25
    Free Member

They can use cowm leisure just over the hill, its not free and has rules but if they don't use it that too will eventually go it needs supporting to survive.

Looking at its web page I see mx bikes over 85cc are excluded. No use to this bunch of rider then.

TonyL
    Free Member

They probably need to give up the mx bikes and get a mountain bike, then we would welcome them with open arms!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Sadly IMHO MXers seem to feel that where MTB'rs ride, they can. I've seen over the years quite blatant "off piste" MX riding in the Peaks, Dales, and west pennine moors (from Rivi Tower down to the road).

If there are any identifiers then it is well worth ringing the plod, they can issue a section 59 order, which is designed to prevent anti-social use of vehicles, but can be used to cover illegal motorised use – my understanding is that the general public can provide details that the police may use to issue a section 59, two S59s mean vehicles can be siezed & scrapped.

singlespeedstu

[pedant mode]

MXers race MX on closed circuit MX courses.

Nob heads with an offroad bike are not MXers.
    [/pedant mode]

Please try not to tar innocent people with a bad name.

hora
    Free Member

singlespeedstu very good point. I've discussed this with walkers before about irresponsible (and dangerous) speeding mountain bikers near walkers.

Plus, (sticking my neck out here) dont mountain bikers also have 'cheeky trails'?

Saying all that you can only stop possible dangerous riding as you see it. I'm going to see if I can get 2x laminated signs ziptied to the first gate in big red caps:

'see a MX'er? Ring this local station number. Get it logged'.

I dont think the existing signs are BLATANT enough- I missed them.

singlespeedstu

I think you may have missed the point a bit there hora.

hora
    Free Member

No I developed what I was thinking on the day- you just reminded me 😉

singlespeedstu

So you agree that you shouldn't tar innocent people with a bad name then go and do it again.

Sounds about right for you.

Mark

I think you are being a pedant slightly stu. We are talking about the people riding motorbikes in the quarry here. We are not talking about them riding motorbikes on the roads or anywhere else that they are entitled to ride. The generic term for the bikes they ride according the general public – rightly or wrongly – is MX. WE all know what we are discussing here. You seem to be going off on a line of pedantry for the sake of it.

singlespeedstu

I think you are being a pedant slightly stu.

The [pedant]…..[/pedant] bit kind of gave that away.

Still not right tarring innocent people though.

For what it's worth you 'll find that most MX clubs frown very strongly on any of there members riding illegaly.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Still not right tarring innocent people though.

For what it's worth you 'll find that most MX clubs frown very strongly on any of there members riding illegaly.

but the point is, nobody's doing that here. we are specifically talking about the people who are riding MX bikes illegally in lee quarry. having seen them myself in the past, i know how scary/dangerous it is when one of them suddenly appears on the trail in front of you after off-pisting it up the side of a hill…

but on saturday gone, a bloke was walking his dog up through the bottom singletrack bit so my mate and i waited at the gap on the road until he got to the top (cos he was walking on the trail itself) and he muttered something about mountain bikes in there being dangerous as he passed us. despite the fact he was walking on what is a signposted as a bike trail, and we had waited for him to get out of the way…

vinnyeh

further pedantry.
    Other than the legality issue there are safety issues with the use of mx (as opposed to enduro/trail/trials) bikes used outside of mx tracks.
    MX bikes generally don't have a spark arrestor- it's less of a risk in this country, but there is a danger of fire, in many countries it's illegal to ride these outside of closed courses due to safety/ brush fire concerns, unless a spark arrester is fitted.
    Secondly, they're high maintenance vehicles – they cost quite a bit to keep running properly, more so than other off road bikes. While older bikes towards the end of their life can be cheap to buy for a kid who wants a bit of fun, it's unlikely that they're going to be maintained- tired and faded brakes, stretched and rusted chains, worn tyres, shot wheel bearings etc, and it's this sort of bike that are normally found out on the trails, and can pose a real danger to other trail users.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Please try not to tar innocent people with a bad name

Like all the off piste mountain bikers do for those who don't ride off piste? We're all "mountain bikers" to the red socks & landowners aren't we?

hora
    Free Member

Received a message at work. The Police called and said they'd 'solved' the 'crime'.

Really? Or does this really mean they can say 'case closed' and put it into their 'crimes' solved stats?

knott4me
    Free Member

going sunday with my helmet cam.just in case my mate mr police man is coming wahhoooo not that he can do much od but it should help .plus hes 6ft2 wide .

hora
    Free Member

I might pop up on Sunday.

I'd never get into a fight with any of them. Not because I am 'ard (Im not) but if you want a tip…if the idiots keeps his helmet on- grab the mouth/jaw-brace part of his full facer firmly and swing/twist. He'll be swinging wildly into the air whilst he falls badly to the ground (remember to keep holding this part). Then kneel on him.

I imagine this might work well on mx helmets. I dont have a clue but thats what I'd attempt to do. If hes still punching- dig your knee in with your bodyweight?

lowey

Going Sunday Myself. I belive that Leisure Lakes are having a demo day in the quarry.

hora
    Free Member

plus hes 6ft2 wide

So am I, but I guess in a different way

knott4me
    Free Member

im not hard either or at least not at the moment 😀
    i don,t like fighting either but needs must .
    congrats btw

hora
    Free Member

Thank you. I think when he says 'Daddy' I will fall over and need reviving.

knott4me
    Free Member

demo bikes how who when were……

antigee

one thing that annoys me is that a lot of very good money is being spent to stop people with quads/mxs/enduros accessing land a significant majority know they are barred from

– the money could be better spent on trails for people that want a bit of peace and quiet with their sport and even on some facilities for the kids that know no better and want to ride mx and whose parents aren't interested or part of the picture

the other thing that pees me off is people defending "the good offroaders" some guy on an expensive (i think) enduro tried telling me about the "freedom of the hills" in wharncliffe woods and that his bike created less erosion the other day and tried to claim we had something in common – i pointed out that despite his bike being quieter i'd still heard him from my house and despite the reduced erosion i'd still followed their tracks to find them

and the other day on a green lane i had to wait ten minutes for a convoy of 4×4's to pass – why? – not relevant but that desn't matter

hora
    Free Member

antigee, I personally definitely hear you. Definitely. Everyone should be allowed their own personal access and right to what they want to do.

I personally wouldnt enjoy 4×4'ing and winching but each to their own and why not?

antigee

Everyone should be allowed their own personal access and right to what they want to do.

as i think you are aware not what i was saying

was trying to say that a small minority choosing to do what they want to do is costing us all money and resources which could be better applied

each to their own and why not?

you are actually margaret thatcher and i claim my falkland islands!

adam_h
    Free Member

and the other day on a green lane i had to wait ten minutes for a convoy of 4×4's to pass – why? – not relevant but that desn't matter

Why? Because. Its the same as a rambler saying why ride a bike around the countryside when you can walk.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry and MX riders- your thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.