Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Learner Drivers
  • milky1980
    Free Member

Just ridden home from an early shift at work and got cut up by a learner driver. Wasn’t bad, the car just cut back in early, just enough to make me take a slight avoiding swerve. Pulled up at the next set of lights just a few hundred yards on and as I was passing the learner car (using the cycle filter lane to the ASL box) the young lady who was driving yelled “Sorry!!” through the side window so I gave her a little wave and smiled. Fair enough, she’s learning and knows she made a slight error. No harm done.

A few seconds later the instructor leans his head out of the window and yells at me “Oi, you (insert expletive here) cyclists make my life a misery!! Get off the bloody roads and get a car like everyone else!”. I turn around and see the young lady looking at him in disgust. She then lets loose at him saying how she’s a cyclist as are a lot of her friends and that she’ll be looking for a different instructor 😆

My faith in the young peple of this world just went up a bit 😛

mrmo
    Free Member

So which driving school was it that hates cyclists? Just for the Google rankings i think we should know driving school who hates cyclists?

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Did you say a driving school that hates cyclists? Persecution?

GrahamS

Good on her! 😀

If it was a larger franchise school (like AA, RAC etc) then I’d consider reporting him to his employers. The last thing we need is idiots like that teaching people “road manners”.

edlong
    Free Member

Even if it’s a self-employed independent, I’d have thought there would be a mechanism to report concerns to whatever the licensing body for driving instructers is – bringing the profession into disrepute and all that?

simmy
    Free Member

Report the clown.

Even if he’s an independent instructor, the DSA fraud and integrity team would be interested as this goes against the instructors code of conduct,

peterfile
    Free Member

Nice! 🙂

My instructor used to tell me to assume every cyclist and pedestrian was a “moron”. he said the sooner I stopped assuming/expecting them to behave in a particular way, the safer a driver I would be. His view was that they are lemmings and it’s up to me, and only me, to make sure I don’t injure them, regardless of how stupid their manoeuvres etc.

At first, as a both a long time cyclist and pedestrian, I took offense to the suggestion and picked him up on it. He explained that he didn’t mean that they were actually morons, but had found that over the years his pupils tended to get into the right frame of mind when around cyclists using the approach that the cyclist’s safety is 100% in the control of the driver and that they should expect the unexpected.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

yep, name and shame.

project
    Free Member

My instructor used to tell me to assume every cyclist and pedestrian was a “moron”. he said the sooner I stopped assuming/expecting them to behave in a particular way, the safer a driver I would be. His view was that they are lemmings and it’s up to me, and only me, to make sure I don’t injure them, regardless of how stupid their manoeuvres etc.

Strange after many years of driving and cycling, i have the same opinion based on many near misses of car drivers, especially those who drive german cars.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

My instructor used to tell me to assume every cyclist and pedestrian was a “moron” vunerable . he said the sooner I stopped assuming/expecting them to behave in a particular way, the safer a driver I would be.

fixed.

morons still imply ‘safe to execute with lump of metal”, vunerable implies something to “take care of”.

milky1980
    Free Member

It was one of those Bumps cars that seem to be everywhere, didn’t get his reg or anything else, too busy laughing my arse off while trying to ride straight 😀

I think he’ll lose enough business from her telling her friends and the fact that he did it right in front of the Atrium uni as they were all coming out for lunch. No point reporting him to the DSA as it could have been any one of about four similar learner cars I passed on my ride home, wouldn’t want to get an innocent instructor into trouble!

mogrim

morons still imply ‘safe to execute with lump of metal”, vunerable implies something to “take care of”.

Doesn’t mean the same thing, though. Perhaps “drunk and half-asleep” would be better if you feel offended by the word “moron”?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Strange after many years of driving and cycling, i have the same opinion based on many near misses of car drivers

I have the same opinion of every road or footpath user – whether they’re on foot on a bike with or without an engine or in a vehicle.

johnellison
    Free Member

I have the same opinion of every road or footpath user – whether they’re on foot on a bike with or without an engine or in a vehicle.

This. Expect people to do the most moronic things no matter what they are riding, driving or walking along and you won’t go far wrong. It’s the key to survival.

simmy
    Free Member

It was one of those Bumps cars that seem to be everywhere, didn’t get his reg or anything else, too busy laughing my arse off while trying to ride straight

Bumps is the name of a Driving School ?!?!?!?!?

Sounds about right If they behave like this

belugabob
    Free Member

Whilst I agree that there are idiots in all walks of life, the worrying thing with driving instructors is that they have the potential to engender their distorted views onto an endless stream of (mostly) young, impressionable people.
    For this reason, I would have no hesitation in reporting such behaviour.

sbob
    Free Member

project – Member

Strange after many years of driving and cycling, i have the same opinion based on many near misses of car drivers, especially those who drive german cars.

Ooh, what a nasty little prejudice.
    If it helps, I drive like a **** no matter what nationality of vehicle I’m commanding.
    😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Report to the company and to the police, you should not have to accept being abused by somebody, they also should not be teaching anybody to drive with such a poor attitude.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Learner Drivers’ is closed to new replies.