• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by maxb.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Leaking pistions Hope caliper – which model and how to please?
  • maxb
    Free Member

My son’s Hope (Mini I think) front caliper is leaking from the pistons so guessing the seals need renewing.

Can anyone point me to the right kit please at CRC and a ‘how-to guide’?

Thanks.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Interesting colours…

For part numbers:

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2004monominicaliperexploded.pdf

CRC might stock them, or you might need to order from your local bike shop.

Out of curiosity, has someone anodised the caliper body ? I’m just wondering if that’s affecting the piston seals ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    maxb
    Free Member

Thanks chaps – no, factory ano AFAIK – must have been a special finish for some reason? The levers etc are all colour matched the same.

Is it the Mono Mini one piece?

How much do Hope charge to service the caliper?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Looks like a mono (it’s the name they gave all the 1 piece brakes) charges are either on the site or via email. I think it includes new pads too and probably as much as the parts and buying the tool for the cap

tjagain

Thats mono mini

Hope do a refurbishment service which is good value so might be worth sending it to them IIRC £40 – 50 and you get all new seals, phenolic pistons and new pads included.

To change the seals you need the bore cap tool really or its a real fiddle. CRC usually stock all the bits you need. simple enough to do

tjagain

Yep – select mono mini

mikewsmith
    Free Member

check the price though I think a service comes with a set of pads and new fluid so really worth looking at

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve never seen those colours before. interesting.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Seen the caliper colour before.
    Wasn’t it called mini pro?
    carbon levers and ti bolts.
    Didn’t like the blue and asked them if they could do a set in silver!
    First time I have seen the purple though!
    Max

orangeboy
    Free Member

The mono mini Pro was a gun smoke colour not blue , I still have a set of the pro ones.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

The bore cap has a over hand thread, learnt the hard way and had to extract with a dremel!

nixie

Is the calliper not just plain silver. There looks to be a blue tinge to the whole picture to me.

Andy

Looks like a mono mini pro to me. Levers and caliper were gunmetal.

+1 for hope brake service, will come back working perfectly and they replace the caliper if cracked or other issue.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Gonna say that is gunsmoke colour which is a kind of blue?
    Probably gives a different shade with the lighting.
    Do I win a prize?
    Ha Ha!

maxb
    Free Member

The bore cap has a over hand thread, learnt the hard way and had to extract with a dremel!

What is an ‘over hand’ thread??

The whole set front and rear, calipers and levers are factory purple and blue ano. not silver, Ti blue etc – just old fashioned blue/purple. Not sure where they came from just part of a bike I put together for him.

otsdr
    Free Member

I suppose ‘over hand’ refers to a left-handed thread: on newer Hope calipers the cap is removed from the inside, so when you undo it from the outside you need to turn it clockwise: https://youtu.be/FNjYiQourJ0?t=44

According to the exploded diagram posted above, the cap on your caliper seems to be threaded in from the outside, I don’t think it should be reverse threaded.

maxb
    Free Member

Ahh, thanks – familiar with LH threads but never come across the term ‘over hand’ before.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Leaking pistions Hope caliper – which model and how to please?’ is closed to new replies.