Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Leaking Alfine 11…anyone else??
  • cheeezzy24
    Free Member

I have a 12month old Alfine 11 that has just started leaking. After a 2hr drive with the bike upside down but upright resting on bars and back wheel it decided to lose about 20ml of oil everywhere. Anyone else’s sprung a leak and whats Madison’s customer service like??
    Cheers

Rickos
    Free Member

Do a search – someone last week was talking about this. Don’t think it was an Alfine specific thread though.

saltpig
    Free Member

I lost nearly all my gears on an Alfine 11( 3months old)another guy on here had his go back to Madison…woeful tail of customer service, mines been gone a week. Search for trolled alfine to pick up thread ( mis spelled Trollied)his replacement was a leaker

mporemba
    Free Member

My Alfine 11 started leaking with fewer than 500 miles. It’s on a Sycip custom commuter bike. All street miles, with nothing more than a little curb hopping. Had purchased it new from the first batch that Harris Cyclery received in late 2010 or early 2011. Harris contacted Shimano regarding the leak, and Shimano replaced it under warranty. The original was sent back, so I didn’t receive a diagnosis of the failure. Of course I paid for the wheel rebuild when the replacement hub arrived. No leaks yet with the replacement hub. Periodically I get gear slippage. Quite possibly an issue with the cable.

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Sent the wheel back yesterday and was told it would take 2-3 weeks. I hope so!

wwaswas

2-3 weeks

that’s a long time to not have a bike 🙁

epicyclo

That’s a ridiculous time to wait and Shimano should be paying for the wheel build IMO.

Shimano need to invest some money training shop mechanics if they want to get a decent market for these hubs. There’s nothing magical or complex inside them.

saltpig
    Free Member

Mines been gone nearly two weeks, with no sign of it coming back anytime soon,my advice would be buy a secondhand 8 off ebay, thats what I have done

jsinglet

2-3 weeks! I had to send my Rohloff back to Germany and I got that back in a week.

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

Luckily i’ve got another bike….but it’s a SS and iv’e just been out for 3hours on it and now i’m totally battered!!
    Hopefully after 3 weeks i’ll be superfit.

saltpig
    Free Member

Just got mine back from Madison, fitted it rode round the yard…and its broken again, exactly the same gears missing as before…Fixed..I don’t think so.

Evesie
    Free Member

Try setting the adjustment one click at a time either side of the yellow lines as you gently ride around going up & down the gears. Mine seems happy with ~1mm offset in the slacker direction, this gives me a reliable 2nd & 10th gear which lining the marks up did not. There’s another guy over on MTBR forum that used this method. Give it a whirl, although you should not really have to do this with your expensive bit of Japanese engineering…

epicyclo

The cable is the first thing I look at if I come across a hub gear that’s not working.

On a newish bike, check for a kink especially in the bit that gets exposed at the wheel end. It will probably be just about to disappear into the outer at the dodgy gear position. Then check the section that is within the shifter. Somehow these get kinked either on installation or when the cable is loose at some time.

Cheap repair – new inner.

Obvious things – any damage to the outer, change immediately, and is the cable well lubricated and sliding freely?

After that suspect the hub.

saltpig
    Free Member

Update. Hub been replaced three times ( internals,ooer)
    Last time back leaking oil everywhere.They sent me a new hub completely and shifter and cassette joint which I am now selling all as new ( coz they are)and sending the old hub back to them. Service from madison was appauling, they really do not know what they are doing. Will continue to ride the 8 speed while I save up to buy a Rohloff

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Have to admit my 8 has been faultless, the stories about the 11 do put me off a bit, i use the 8 on my road bike but have considered the 11 to gain a few higher gears and better spacing.

Why dont they just have a big gap between 1st and 2nd then equal spacing between the rest, keeping 1st like a granny gear.

Anyway might start saving for this,
    http://www.nicolai.net/159-1-Helius+Pinion+AM.html#tab

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Leaking Alfine 11…anyone else??’ is closed to new replies.