Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Trolled alfine 11
  • saltpig
    Free Member

Just broken my alfine 11 after 3 months. Just riding along off road in 1st, applied pressure to the pedals and it skipped a gear. Thought it was debris in the gear change mechanism, but it was all clear. Carried on riding as normal, then 5 minutes later it happens again, this tIme I’ve lost 1st 3rd 4th 8th and 9th.
    Has anyone else experienced this?

cookeaa

Cable streched? can that have an effect?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Check the cable run is smooth and the yellow dots are lined up in 6th.

After that, it could need a trip back to Madison via your retailer. A search on here is your friend……

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

This could be through cable stretch, take it to a bike shop and get them to have a look and possibly set it up again. If that isn’t the problem and it is broken it is a Madison product and their warranty is excellent.

woody2000

Could it be the cold?

saltpig
    Free Member

Cable all good and correctly aligned. Had to replace the whole cable asslby after a ride in the peaks.

wwaswas

Had to replace the whole cable asslby after a ride in the peaks

and it’s immediately not working or after a few miles? A new cable woudl stretch I’d imagine or (dare I say it) not quite fitted correctly if it’s not workign from the off.

saltpig
    Free Member

The cable was replaced before Christmas and has been fine ever since. It was below freezing on Saturday but it was an hour and a half into the ride

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Roger at HFTH reckons you can’t rely on the yellow dot – set it up so that it works (ie try it slightly off in either direction and see if it sorts it).

Katie’s first Alfine had a skipping problem. The second seems to have lost all it’s oil through the drive side.

#notarohloff

saltpig
    Free Member

Did try aligning either side of the dots, but it made no difference.Do Itake it from that you’ve already broken two Alfine 11s?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

It’s not looking good for the second one. Wondering what to do with it – don’t really want to spend full whack on an oil change kit only to have it all leak out.

Evesie
    Free Member

I’m on my second one, first one lost 2nd gear. Current one is much happier with the lines misaligned by ~1mm slacker to get both 2nd & 10th without slipping. Try pedalling gently around while twiddling the adjuster one click at a time & hopefully you’ll find a position that works. You have to ask yourself whether you should be needing to do this on your expensive investment though? They are good when they work – just wish I had more faith that it will last…

thepodge
    Free Member

the 8 seems much better than the 11 for reliability

saltpig
    Free Member

Nice that Shimano are doing there r&d work in the field ( with us ) again, still they must have deep pockets if they keep replacing hubs. Do they just replace internals or do they swap the complete hub?
    I can’t even pedal in the missing gears,but I did try and adjust either side of the marks,before it let go, 10th gear did seem to skip from time to time if you didn’t let it ‘settle ‘ down before applying power

simons_nicolai-uk– are you not going to send the leaky one back under warranty?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

For balance, my 11-spd has been fine. Half way between it’s first and second service, so 3500k on the clock….. but I know others have had problems

<sacrifices another virgin for continued reliability>

saltpig
    Free Member

Is that on or off road bristolbiker? It’s nice to hear anyway.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

On road – thinking about this last night, what cog and sprocket are you using? Installation sheet says not to go below a drive ratio of 2:1.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

My Alfine 11 is just a year old but hasn’t done the mileage of Bristolbikers, my mileage has been mainly off road, fully laden with camping gear and included the Welsh Ride Thing and Pennine Bridleway. Gearing has been 32-20 until recently when I changed it to 34-18. I had initial problems with gears crunching and jumping out but changing the cable run to smooth out the bends and endless fiddling about with the yellow dot position has largely cured it. Sorry I can’t offer any remedies or tricks but, touch wood, mine seems to be behaving itself at the moment. Finding someone to do an oil change 4 months ago was difficult but 18 bikes now have the kit if you’re Peak District based.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

simons_nicolai-uk– are you not going to send the leaky one back under warranty?

Brixton Cycles sourced it for us. When the first one was returned to Madison they sat on it for c6 weeks before returning the rim and disc (ie no spokes, unbuilt wheel) and Katie really didn’t enjoy the singlespeed experience so it’s kind of being put off.

Rohloff say their hubs only need enough oil to coat the parts (ie it’s no problem if the rest drains out) so suspect it’s not really an issue.

saltpig
    Free Member

I had heard Madison were a bit slow, but six weeks,quality customer service!
    I’m going to nine speed mine when it’s away, but thought of going back to 3×9 or even 1×9 for any length of time is really quite depressing

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Less bothered about the time they took, more that a complete wheel was stripped and not rebuilt. We were lucky, there were a few wheels returned at the same time but the others were returned as a seemingly random collection of rims and discs (ie not what had been sent)

saltpig
    Free Member

Bugger, well mine has just left today and I am told by my lbs that they are just replacing the internals, so its gone off with the tyre still attached..and its ghettoed so if they want to take it off the rim it’ll get pretty messy, mind you they will probably just snip through the spokes!!
    I took everything off the wheel ( ie disc, wheel nuts etc) because I did think I would not get it back, the Ralph is about shagged anyway

saltpig
    Free Member

Update. Hub been replaced three times ( internals,ooer)
    Last time back leaking oil everywhere.They sent me a new hub completely and shifter and cassette joint which I am now selling all as new ( coz they are)and sending the old hub back to them. Service from madison was appauling, they really do not know what they are doing. Will continue to ride the 8 speed while I save up to buy a Rohloff

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My 8-speed alfie did that in fifth gear. HTFH (who I bought it off) sent it back to Madison, who fixed it under warranty. It did take a while IIRC.
    I then sold it on, freshly serviced.

My Rohloff is lovely. Had to send it back to Germany when it developed some sideways play, but Rohloff fixed it and sent it back with a letter of apology for it going wrong.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Trolled alfine 11’ is closed to new replies.