Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Lauren Laverne Pretentious Challenge
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Just listening to L Laverne on 6music and I’m convinced she will read anything out from listeners no matter how pretentious.
    So just for fun I challenge you STWers to get the most pretentious tweets/texts whatever read out on her show! Then post them on here.
    Extra points for pulling in tales of sunrises whilst ‘finding yourselves’ travelling in outer Mongolia or wherever!
    So there it is The Lauren Laverne Pretentious Challenge
    Go!!!

pk13

She is off limits OK
    I’ve had thing from the days of Kenickie
    She can be a bit fluffy :mrgreen:

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

No I like her, really I do it’s just the pretentious things she reads out.
    Anyway I’ve got one in, fingers crossed it gets read out.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I take it you’ve never listened to Mary Anne Hobbs?

spawnofyorkshire

I have but not any more. God she’s annoying.

Really like lavernne, but I get where you’re going with the pretentious tweets thing

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

He shoots he scores!!!
    She just read this out,

So excited Danny Boyle is coming on the show, it takes me back to the first time I watched trainspotting. I was traveling at the time and in Thailand. I watched it at a special showing on a big screen at the beach late one night, I was that blown away by the film I couldn’t move and stayed to watch the sunrise, it was a beautiful moment where I really found myself and I’m sure it has shaped who I am today.
    Love and peace
    MM

I didn’t think it would be that easy! 😆

chorlton
    Free Member

😀 Wondered if it was you.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

bloody brilliant MM!

km79
    Free Member

Haha, good work!

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

1-0 to me then, who’s gonna get the equaliser??

windyg
    Free Member

Brilliant, see if you can get one in a day.

monkeyboyjc

She is off limits OK
    I’ve had thing from the days of Kenickie

This. And then this some more…..

avdave2

I’d pay good money to be able to unhear every bit of meaningless drivel she has assaulted my ears and insulted my intelligence with!

prawny

I don’t remember Kenickie really.

Laverne though, jeezus she’s pretty. (not laverne from Scrubs)

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’d pay good money to be able to unhear every bit of meaningless drivel she has assaulted my ears and insulted my intelligence with!

It’s a shame really as I quite like the music she plays of a weekend morning. She’s a post rave generation Philomena Cunk.

mahalo

its like all those gits who write into Kermode & Mayo with their over articulate reviews and refer to a film as a ‘piece’

eff off.

Northwind

Well played MM.

slowpuncheur – Member

Take it to the max with her Saturday Classics show, she sounds like a patronising meals on wheels lady.

CountZero

Just listening to L Laverne on 6music and I’m convinced she will read anything out from listeners no matter how pretentious.

Why wouldn’t she, though? It’s all about connecting with the listeners, without discriminating just because the content may be a bit ‘pretentious, moi?’. I doubt you’ll find much different on any other radio station, in fact Radio 1 can be as bad, if not worse; I’m forced to listen to it for much of the day, drives me nuts!

I don’t remember Kenickie really.
    Laverne though, jeezus she’s pretty. (not laverne from Scrubs)

I saw Kenickie three times in Bristol, and LaLa was not only stunning, but very funny, in fact the band were, quite possibly, the most fun band I’ve ever seen live.
    They had to break off one tour part-way through to go back and take their A-Level exams!

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

may be a bit ‘pretentious

No, no you misunderstand Count, it’s THE most pretentious thing you can get read out, not a bit pretentious.
    It’s only a bit of fun, is all about the banter!

pk13

Gonna try it for Tuesday extra point for a Robert smith name check?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Go for it pk13 I’ll be listening 😀

ferrals
    Free Member

Would have been infinitely better if you’d substituted ‘touched’ for ‘found’

kelvin

That’s pretty funny.

And, yes, we all love Laverne.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Talks far toooooooo bloody much for my liking!

Stop babbling woman & play the bloody record!

BigJohn

I’m a big fan.

When she talks she always makes it sound like a shag would never be out of the question.

Not with me, I hasten to add.

senorj

Arse.

senorj

This topic seems to come up quite often – perhaps some of the stw membership should refrain from listening to radio stations which allow women to talk. Isis fm ?

Lala is lovely. (as is MAH btw).
    I was also lucky to see Kenickie several times, they were brilliant.

btw “Arse” not aimed at big John btw – aimed at the deleted post.

kimbers

senor j – Member
    This topic seems to come up quite often – perhaps some of the stw membership should refrain from listening to radio stations which allow women to talk. Isis fm

That’s just silly, the Sean keavney threads are more frequent and angry.

6 music has some great DJs, but they all do tend to talk too much, just play some tunes, half the reason peopke tune in is to avoid adverts
    instead you get some Laverne/ lamo/ Riley/ Matthews/ Garvey pretentious waffle

cultsdave
    Free Member

Haha, genius.
    I was listening to the show last night and heard her read that out. I snorted at the time thinking what a load of bull. Then just read this.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Talks far toooooooo bloody much for my liking!
    Stop babbling woman & play the bloody record!

That’s the point. If you just want music hit an auto playlist on Spotify or AppleMusic (or go to BBC Playlister and feed that into your streaming service of choice). 6Music DJs are smart and know and love the music they play (and are reasonably honest when they’re playing something from the playlist they don’t like).

kilo

What’s more patronising saying you find a female presenter pretentious or that the she is lovely.
    kenickie weren’t all that either

prawny

^ agree with that 100%. Spotify or similar for music, radio for banter with some music.

I only discovered radio 6 music for myself this year and I listen to Shaun Keaveney every morning now on my way to work. It’s ace, a bit like Chris Moyles when he was good.

jam-bo

I only discovered radio 6 music for myself this year and I listen to Shaun Keaveney every morning now on my way to work. It’s ace, a bit like Chris Moyles when he was good.

wait until you’ve heard the Paul McCartney impression a few more times…

scud
    Free Member

I blinkin’ love 6 Music, what else is there? I’m too old for Radio 1, not opinionated or able to listen to the musically beige Radio 2, Radio 4 has the odd comedy show that i can listen too, but other than that 6 music is only radio station i could listed to from 7am to midnight and not want to kill someone!

Yes Keaveney gets a bit repetitive, Mary Anne Hobbs sounds like her life is a permanent acid-flashback and I find Chris “the Hawk” Hawkins could put a 30 stone Gorilla to sleep; but they place decent music, there is some great documentaries (brilliant 8 hour doc on the history of Jamaican music that was on a 1am and could be downloaded on iplayer recently) and the DJ’s actually have knowledge of what they are talking about.

IHN

wot scud sed

senorj

Forgive me Kilo – I meant to say lovely person.
    It wasn’t my intention to refer to appearance.
    Sorry for patronising you.

tenfoot

I saw Kenickie at Glastonbury in 98. They were the highlight of a very damp year. Unfortunately some scrote was back at home robbing LaLa’s flat while she was away (IIRC).

munrobiker
    Free Member

There’s a magic recipe for radio for me that goes something like this-

Drive to work- Classic FM. Soothing, interesting and no overly-boisterous hosts.

At work – 6Music.

If I’m on the road – Radio 4 between 10 and 12. That’s when all the best stuff is on.

Lunchtime – Radio 1, the only non-digital station not playing some politics/phone in shite.

Afternoon – 6Music again.

Drive home – if it’s 4.30, Radio 4. If it’s Wednesday then Radio 2’s folk show on Iplayer. If it’s after 5 then Radio 2.

You’re not bound to listening to one station all day. 6 Music gets very playlisty and for some reason about 12.30-1.30 they lose the plot and play absolutely mental guff.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Woah! No sexism please, just get back on with the challenge.
    John Peels lad likes pretentious messages etc you could try him if you want to balance it up.

Anyway, who’s had a winner today?

pk13

Emailed I had Twitter meltdown so not holding my breath.
    She has done some great stuff on R4 woman’s hour BTW

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Lauren Laverne Pretentious Challenge’ is closed to new replies.