• This topic has 40 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Last call – "STW south downs EVIL route" this Saturday…
  • DrP

It’s all plotted out in gpx, ready to zap across to the garmin…. (all 92km of it!!)
    Plenty of opportunity for pub and shop stops for refuelling…..

I’ll be heading out from my place in Worthing, BN12, pretty early this Saturday, and hoping to cover it all and be back by tea time…..it’s NOT a race, but it is 60 miles….

Any takers?!!

DrP

JRTG
    Free Member

Would do but have a staff party fri night so won’t be in the best state to do a 60 miler, what’s your rough route plan?

DrP

Well, this is the uppy downy plan…

This is the route plan… Heading clockwise on the West section, clockwise on the far east section, and I think anticlockwise on the middle sections….

DrP

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JRTG
    Free Member

Nice route! Would have been tempted if on Sunday but no chance of me getting up in sat for a ride

DrP

No worries – there’s always summer to wait for?!?!
    I’ll scope it out on Saturday, and see how it’s riding – maybe with more time (in advance) we could arrange a big southern ride.
    (FYI, I’ve added in the lion trail into the route dropping down into steyning, rather than their Selected path….)

DrP

JRTG
    Free Member

Yep tis always good to add that one! Well enjoy andill get the miles in Sunday.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

looks good, I rode to Eastbourne from Epsom via Leith, Holmbury & Pitch Hill a few weeks back and those last few climbs on the South Downs really get you

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, DrP, that is a BIGGUN!
    Me n Rob did a 45ish miler on weds around a Southdowns loop starting & finishing at QECP and it took 8 hours- fair bit of map reading, but so much MUD! Just beware it ain’t all dried up yet!
    Hopefully join you for a “normal” southern ride when the summer finally hits 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Hope the weather improves 😯

soma_rich
    Free Member

Jeez I am doing a 6 mile Sky ride on with the family. Soz.

That looks E P I C

rewski
    Free Member

@ MTB-Idle – I did a similar route the other week from Purley/Woldingham – NDW across Ranmore then picked up the Downslink at St Marthas Hill, I bailed at Black Cap, wind picked up and I didn’t have anything left for the last big climbs to Eastbourne, will re-try in a few weeks, will take more food next time.

I might try your route, did you pick up the link at Cranleigh?

DrP

I’m planning on an early refuel in Steyning on ‘the way out’, then Lunch at the furthest point East, then more snacks in Steyning on the way back!
    Nom nom nom…..

And Dez – I hope it stays OK too!

DrP

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

@Rewski.

yes, Downslink at Cranleigh and then follow it until SDW and basically turn left!

Big ole day in the saddle – 14 hours

You definitely need enough food. For me it was:

1 bowl of cold porridge with a handul of sultanas

2 or 3 madeleines (small french fancy ooh-err!)

2 Torq energy gels

1 Torq energy bar

2 Mule bars

1 Clif bar

2 pain au chocolat

1 mars bar

2 rounds of jam sandwiches

3 litres of water

2 litres of homemade energy drink (orange squash with added sugar and salt)

3 pieces of homemade flapjack

2 bananas

and then on the train back from Eastbourne it was:

Cod n chips

2 tins of Fosters

DrP

My main issue is the water one – my wingnut only holds 1.5L in the bladder – might end up having a few milkshakes in the bag also.
    Basically, most of my ‘luggage’ is going to be grub!
    Oh, and a camera!

DrP

Tom83

Jealous! Working Saturday or I would have loved to come (if I was allowed!). Would like to get out onto the sdw, its hard enough to get my mates to Bedgebury!

rewski
    Free Member

@ MTB-Idle – christ on a bike, all that grub must of weighed a tonne, I did consider strapping gels to my frame, then I realised I was perhaps taking all a bit too seriously. 14 hours was pretty good, I was about 12 and I bailed at Lewes.

@ DrP – re: water issue, I bought a cheap bonty double bottle cage that fits at the back of my saddle, my bike as no cage bolts, I only use for big rides on the downs, the bolts can come loose after the fast bumpy descents. Have fun, I’ll be Eastbourne end on Sunday.

DrP

I’m on a full sus with a single set of cage bolts – undecided if best to simply carry the weight on my back, or have a bottle on the bike (would have the pump there instead…)

DrP

(I think I’m thinking/worrying about this too much!! I’ll be passing plenty of shops/pubs, so actually will have ample opportunity to fill up!
    I understand the actual SDW doesn’t pass too close to civilisation and would be more of a worry!)

singletrackmind

Bugger, Only just seen this . Dez sent me a linky. Right up my street that loop . If only you had posted it earlier i could have not got on the beers tonight and joined you .
    Enjoy the ride , should be ok just rather windy up on the Downs
    rob

offthebrakes
    Free Member

(I think I’m thinking/worrying about this too much!! I’ll be passing plenty of shops/pubs, so actually will have ample opportunity to fill up!
    I understand the actual SDW doesn’t pass too close to civilisation and would be more of a worry!)

There are quite a few water taps on the SDW. Check out the South Downs Double website for grid refs for most of them.

rewski
    Free Member

Good point re taps, there’s one at shore ham just by the river close to the road crossing, just before beeding hill, and obviously the boozer at devils d.

DrP

Rob,
    I’ve been plied with vintage cider that on closer inspection is some bonkers percentage!
    Still, just the one!

I think I’ll arrange another “stw soft southern shandy ride” of a similar but probably shorter route later in the summer!

DrP

muggomagic

just seen this.
    I’ll join you on the next one. Certainly no need to worry about water as the route goes along Steyning high street, then there is a tap just across the Bridge at Beeding, there is the YH on Trueleigh hill, there is also a tap and of course the pub at the dyke.
    The downhill from Steyning is a good one. It takes you down through a lot of the new/improved singletrack that Steyning MTB have done.

DrP

Cool!
    Just fuelling up, then off I go!

DrP

Ps- shhhh, but sky seems to be clear….

Pps – I have managed to slice the top of my finger off whilst making brekkie…. If I don’t return, someone bring a bag of blood up onto devils dyke for me……

Tom83

Enjoy! Wind seems to be up in Hastings this morning, fingers crossed it’s not too bad!

takisawa2

Be sure to post an update.
    That’s one heck of a ride.

JRTG
    Free Member

Hung over as I new I would be, out for a ride soonish so I’ll look out for a pale looking lack of blood thing in any ditches I pass…..

DrP

On the return leg now!
    35km to go, but it seems it all headwind!

It’s a cracking day-got caught in the morning rain, but all dry now…

No mechanicals, had a bakery and cafe stop, now just chilling after climbing Jack and Jill and then ditchling!….

DrP

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

You’ve just been up my bridle way then ! 😉

DrP

I’m back!
    98km in 9hrs 15min (all in, door to door).

Will wash bike and myself, then post pics and a debrief (essentially, it’s lovely but hilly)

DrP

DrP

Soo, feeling pretty tired this eve, but have a ‘warm glowy’ feeling that only a day in the saddle can offer!

Here’s some pics from the trip – brain is feeling too fuzzled to be witty and descriptive!

Early start, with moody skies

After the climb up Cote street, still West of the A24

My trusty steed that pulled me through – the reverb was useful even for an ‘epic’ ride like this – mad some of the rocky descents and hellish climbs much more manageable!

The source of my bloodstained gloves, and blood covered camera!

Quickly grabbing shelter in Findon as the heavens opened – checking the camera and phone are watertight

One of the many chalky climbs I’d encounter

I most certainly am here….

Who’s this loon????

Food stop No 1 – made it to Steyning in under 2 hours – not bad as it was the first section that was really muddy/sloppy

The downs link out of steyning – do I see Mr Sun poking his head out from behind the cloud???

The view after the ‘wall of grass climb’ (as described by STW)

There’s always one group of ramblers who won’t get out the way…

At last – a flat bit!

Coffee and grub stop No 2!

You should just be able to make out the ‘Jack and Jill’ windmills a few hills away….

No? Well, here’s a close up… (again, the climb up to them was, ahem, tough!

The view the other side of the Windmills (looking North-East

The climb at the very East of the route – the camera is held level here – talk about a wall of pain!

Sussex border path towards Brighton

The route ‘back’ towards Steyning was pretty much straight along the SDW

After a pretty steep climb out of Steyning bowl – back on my usual stomping ground now – nearly home!

On final sarnie stop on Cissbury Rings before the last descent into Findon (then the last climb over Highdown and back home!)

Total food scoffed:
    2 rounds of sarnies – one cheese and ham, one peanut butter an chilli sauce
    2 bananas
    An apple
    2 energy gels
    A snickers
    Caramel donut
    Cup of Coffee
    2 “High calorie supplement drinks” (Don’t ask – left over by a rug rep so thought “why not”! – 400calories in 200ml!)
    3 litres of water (squash/electrolyte)
    500ml dr pepper
    500ml full fat coke

And loads more when I got home!

All in all, a fab day’s riding – the route is such that you really needn’t worry about having all your supplies with you – you could get a proper meal at the little cafe stop (though has a nasty climb STRAIGHT after it!) and plenty of pubs/taps/shops along the way.

So – any takers for next time?!

DrP

singletrackmind

Put me down for a maybe
    Any idea what the climbing ft was in the end?

Ended up over your way at Stanmer , was ok apart from fighting my through the FOS traffic round Chi.

muggomagic

Count me in. Did you take the lion trail to Steyning high street or the route on the map?

DrP

I took the lion trail 🙂 but… I spent more time sideways on the wet roots than going forwards!

DrP

This should be the steyning bowl photo…

Tom83

I’m in for next time, sounds like i might need to put my gears on though 😛

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

left over by a rug rep

Do you have a new job in a carpet shop, or are you more follically challenged these days?

fandango
    Free Member

[/i]2 “High calorie supplement drinks”

Was this “preload”? What did you think of it?

faz083
    Free Member

I would have joined you but was busy yesterday! please post again of future rides.

DrP

The supplement drink was basically a high calorie medical milkshake left by a DRUG rep!
    I would have happily drank Frijj, but this had more calories in half the volume!

Will certainly advertise when riding again, though no doubt a group would make it a 12 hour jaunt, or more…! (more need for pee and mech stops etc etc)

DrP

hts81
    Free Member

Hi all – wish I could have joined you – only just found all the details on the forum. I live in East Preston, hopefully I will spot the next one and join you all!!

trevron73
    Free Member

Im in for the next if is midweek as i work weekends on the beach ,ive done the start /end at Eastbourne a couple of middle bits and used to live at QECP end im in Hastings now so im up for a east to west ,im also heavy and slow

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Last call – "STW south downs EVIL route" this Saturday…’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts