Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Laptop res rant : 1366 x 768
  • Earl
    Free Member

Why has this become the std res/ratio? I find it truly pants – 768 is just not enough vertical and I end up scrolling even before there is any content.

e.g. on this forum I can see about 6 posts max before have to scroll.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

yes, pants res.

Look at changing the size of your menus/icons/etc to make it more usable.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

The ratio is fine that is just a shit res!

chambord
    Free Member

This has annoyed me for a while now too. Thinkpads used to be available with screens with very high resolutions (I.e. 1920×1200) but since all panels went widescreen to follow suit with TV, panel resolution has also stayed low (Presumably because 768 is the equivalent of 720p?)

It seems as though this is changing (Slowly) though since Apple got all pushy with its retina display stuff – some laptops can be found with 1920×1080 panels now and hopefully 4K will be affordable soon enough.

phiiiiil

It is daft that most phones have resolutions that outstrip most laptops now, even though they’re a fraction of the size!

midlifecrashes
    chambord
    Free Member

That is excellent for £370

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I am guessing that this is the trade off most of the vendors have decided on for the cheap laptop specs. I imagine that it is much cheaper for them to add some extra RAM or change the CPU than to provide an HD screen. I presume that HD screens for laptops are not a cheap commodity so it does mean spending a bit more on a laptop to get it. They are not bank breakingly expensive – they seem to start appearing at around the £500 – £600 mark. It is a bit frustrating though, I agree.

As an example, the compact but quite nicely put together Lenovo U430 gives you a 14″ HD touch screen laptop with a 750GB hybrid drive, 8GB RAM and an i5 CPU. If you are not bothered about the smaller form factor or the touch screen then they do a 17″ jobbie (Z5070) for around £600 but with a 1TB HDD.

Earl
    Free Member

midlifecrashes

That is a great deal. I’ve spent the couple of weeks looking for a new machine to replace my 15″ hp that had something like 1600 x1080.

Couldn’t find anything below the £600 mark. I didn’t want spend that much as it will be the 4th pc in the house.

Bugger is I’ve just taken delivery of this referb to get half decent res.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/141-lenovo-4180a32-b-intel-core-i5-2520m-25ghz-8gb-320gb-hdd-dvdrw-bluetooth-windows-7-professional-?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKEAjw8O2hBRDKur2lseLW6C8SJAC-r1J3vL871pGJbQYKAhPLXPPUuYQkKxOQv8GA0VkPXmZYkBoC3Pvw_wcB

pjbarton
    Free Member

mines 3840 x 2400 – i thought my old laptop was fine, now if i look at it i have a hissyfit – first world problem.

Cougar

Thinkpads used to be available with screens with very high resolutions (I.e. 1920×1200) but since all panels went widescreen to follow suit with TV, panel resolution has also stayed low

My eight year old ‘widescreen’ Dell laptop is 1920×1200.

Widescreen is often a bit of a misnomer these days; it’s not “widescreen,” it’s “not very tall screen.”

Cougar

That is a great deal. I’ve spent the couple of weeks looking for a new machine to replace my 15″ hp that had something like 1600 x1080

1600×1050 I’d hazard. I had a (HP) Compaq with that screen; the lid actually extended out further than the base when you closed it. Armada? maybe.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve got full HD on my XPS. I specifically wanted a 15.6″ screen with full HD as I find the lower res poor.

The new XPS now have 4k res in a 15″ screen which is amazing.

Cougar

What’s “full HD” when it’s at home? That’s a TV definition, happy to be proved wrong but I’ve never come across a laptop panel with a foo*1080 display.

The new XPS now have 4k res in a 15″ screen which is amazing.

Seriously? That is bloody amazing, indeed. (Though I’m struggling to see the point.)

spooky_b329

I use Chrome with minimal toolbars and move the start bar to the left hand side (vertical) to maximise screen height.

Earl
    Free Member

..Armada? maybe

Model is 6715b in hp battleship grey. Real business machine. DualCore AMD Turin TL-60, 2gb ram. Just looked it up. WSXGA+ (1680×1050) in matt. Now that is a useful res for work.

Haven’t used it for work stuff for a few years now but when I did it was a Vista host with a XP vm. Thats 1GB ram each!!!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

– some laptops can be found with 1920×1080 panels now and hopefully 4K will be affordable soon enough.

There’s loads of 19020x1080p laptops around – unfortunately not 1920×1200 anymore though 🙁

curvature
    Free Member

Apple 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It is daft that most phones have resolutions that outstrip most laptops now, even though they’re a fraction of the size!

different screens, like comparing a 50″ SD CRT with a 21″ 1080p LCD. Phone screens are made up of millions of tiny LEDs rather than a LCD panel with LED backlight, less of a practical limit on the number of pixles.

cranberry
    Free Member

There’s loads of 19020x1080p laptops around – unfortunately not 1920×1200 anymore though

Yep – sat in front of a Dell less than 1 year old – the highest resolution I could find – 1920×1080. In my workshop is an old Dell, the best part of 10 years old and it has a resolution of 1920×1200.

So much for progress, we were supposed to have robot butlers and flying cars by now.

chambord
    Free Member

There’s loads of 19020x1080p laptops around – unfortunately not 1920×1200 anymore though

This has only become common over the last year though (tbh I didnt realise they had become so affordable – see midlifecrashes link above). Thankfully 3 and 4k screens are starting to appear now as well.

After looking again perhaps panel resolution isn’t such a problem now but a year ago when looking for a laptop it was impossible to get a (non apple) 14″ laptop above *x900

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

This has only become common over the last year though

no – it is just that they were at the upper end of the laptop range and stores didn’t necessarily stock them, but they were available.

Earl
    Free Member

Just saying I wish the default ‘budget’ res was something more like 1280×1024 or atleast 1000 vertical.

Besides movies, this widescreen business is pants anyway unless it’s very very wide i.e. 2 happy windows

chambord
    Free Member

How the T420 Earl? Have you had chance to use it much yet?

Earl
    Free Member

T420 – I like it. Makes me feel smrt and more professional than I am.

Win7 pro. Processor and 7200rpm hhd say it should be fast and it is – well this side of a ssd.

Nice feel. Stiff chassis. When you bring it out you get that look from people ‘I bet he’s no fun at parties…’ – ‘Bet he knows his hex…’ etc…
    Its a referb but my unit is a close to new as it can be.
    Battery is rated ‘Good’ according to the system tools.
    Screen res is nice too – about the right size for a 14″ (especially now I’m over 40).

I’m running a Win7 pro VM with 4gb and its fine for cutting coding.

Only slight issue I see is the hdd. Its fast but only 320gb or 270gb usable after leveno recovery partition. Completely enough for my work stuff (4vm’s) but for some reason you always want more… I see easily swappable ultrabay caddys for £10 on ebay so will pop out the little used dvd drive and stick a 2nd hdd in at some stage.

I say all this but still cant stop looking at that ebuyer one above…

chambord
    Free Member

I only ask as I have been after a refurb T series for ages and that is a pretty decent price for one with 8GB RAM and a HD+ screen (And from Scan which my dept have an account with). My current computer (CoreDuo) now struggles with the plugins I use in vim believe it or not so this seems a good opportunity to upgrade.

When you bring it out you get that look from people ‘I bet he’s no fun at parties…’ – ‘Bet he knows his hex…’ etc…

Will go perfectly with my Maltron keyboard then 8)

Earl
    Free Member

note. its only a 3 month guarantee. You can buy more though – I didn’t bother – plan to thrash it death in the next few weeks as a test and it has all sorts of self dio stuff on there.

Cougar

FWIW,

Our ‘fleet’ of laptops at work are all T4x0’s. The T400 is a bit long in the tooth now, but the rest are serving us well. I have a T420 myself, and we’re slowly rolling out T430s now.

scuttler

CTRL + or CTRL – to change the font size in a web page and get more on or make it more readable.

GrahamS

on this forum I can see about 6 posts max before have to scroll.

Sort of the opposite problem here:

😀

Just got myself a lovely new 27″ 2560×1440 IPS display for my main work screen. It’s lush.

retro83
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Sort of the opposite problem here:

Just got myself a lovely new 27″ 2560×1440 IPS display for my main work screen. It’s lush.

That pic is a good example of why I prefer the old screen ratios.
    So much wasted space on widescreens. 🙁
    At least the newer Windows window manager allows you to snap things side by side to get some use out of the width during day to day work.

GrahamS

Actually it’s worse than that because I have three screens, one either side of that main one. 😀

I don’t think widescreen ratio is wasted space as such, I just hate the lack of vertical which is why I was keen to get something greater than the 1080 default.

Earl
    Free Member

I don’t think widescreen ratio is wasted space as such, I just hate the lack of vertical which is why I was keen to get something greater than the 1080 default.

Which is why I rotate my desktop monitor on its side when I’m looking at code… 1600 vertical is cool!

GrahamS

I can’t stand rotated screens. They always looks weird and distorted.
    Decent IPS displays can just about handle it, but standard TN-film displays just look awful on their side.

1440 vertical is plenty enough for me and means I have space at the sides for code browsers, output, stack, VMs etc.

verses

Having seen Earl post it here, I’ve just bought one of those refurb Lenovos from Scan to replace our dying laptop. Assuming it comes in reasonable nick it looks like a total bargain!

Out of interest, why do you wish you’d gone for the Ebuyer one?

It might be newer architecture, but it’s £100 more, only an i3 rather than i5, has half the RAM, a slower HDD and appears to lose the decent keyboard/trackpad that the Thinkpads excel at…

Obvious pros are slightly bigger screen, bigger HDD, HDMI and gig ethernet… Oh and brand new obviously 🙂 But all at the expense of the speed/power…

I guess it looks a little more bling.

Earl
    Free Member

Can’t say I wish I went for the Ebuyer one now – but it does have its draw

All the pros you pointed out are completely valid but the following does play on my mind.

Ebuyer machine:
    Its new – new lust – we all have it from cars to bikes to anything.

Its comes with a 1 year warranty. When things go wrong with desktops – easy – buy new part for peanuts and replace. Laptops on the other hand are harder to repair. Saying that T series machines are probably more supportable and repairable than others. For a start, the battery is designed to be swapped under normal operation.

Battery on T420 is used which will probably be the first thing needing replacing.

The 4th series i3 is a more energy efficient processor (hippy in me) not not much less top end speed.

Screen resolution.

i3 has better graphics capability (not that I will ever need it)

HDMI can be useful.

End of day, I have to say sitting in front of the T series makes me feel professional. I used one 16 years ago and it still feels the same – just right – like a old girlfriend.

Earl
    Free Member

And you should see the molding below the arrow keys <nerd drool..>

Cougar

Battery on T420 is used which will probably be the first thing needing replacing.

On the T4x0s I’ve replaced: hard disks, screens, keyboards, batteries, power supplies, fans, in about that order (most common first). Which sounds a lot I know but a) the number of returns I’ve seen are comparatively few given how many we have out there and b) giving ‘free’ laptops to the great unwashed falls into the category of “hostile environment.” The Thinkpads survive being hurled across the car park far more readily than most brands.

Earl
    Free Member

You’ve make me feel so much better about my purchase… I tend to not turn over computer stuff very often if I can so hope this will last a few years. Not a problem with the business HP i’ve got and its been 8y+.

verses

It arrived earlier and is in immaculate condition, not what I’d call grade B at all!

Only snag is that it’s showing a res of 1366×768?!

I’ve only had time for a quick play, so I guess it’s possibly a driver issue… Did you have anything like that happen Earl?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Laptop res rant : 1366 x 768’ is closed to new replies.