Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Laptop recommendations under £300.00
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Any IT types can offer me advice for a Laptop for Missfeet. She needs to be able to use PowerPoint/Word and to be able to run this software
    http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Sibelius-First-Notation-Software/K3E .Going to be used for GCSE revision too…
    Budget is £300.00, and needs to be new.
    Cheers all.

chewkw
    Free Member

£300 budget might be a low for a laptop.

You need to look for something with:

In the order of importance … 😛
    1. RAM = 8GB (look for 8GB RAM if possible as standard 4GB might be a bit slow)
    2. HD = SSD 256GB min (with external storage) or standard HD > 500GB.
    3. CPU = any I supposed but not sure about how good Intel Celeron is to handle all the tasks.

Lenovo IdeaPad 310 Laptop, Intel Core i3, 8GB RAM, 1TB, 15.6″, Silver £399.95

HP Laptop, Intel Celeron, 8GB RAM, 1TB, 15.6″, Smoke Grey £329.99

chewkw
    Free Member

Or this one as ideal … the budget is completely out now … 😆

Acer 15.6 Inch i5 8GB 256GB Laptop £549.99

AlexSimon

I had a quick look and couldn’t find a single laptop <£300 I would recommend 🙁
    When I bought a cheap laptop, we bought a £299 laptop, but then spent £25 on RAM and £69 on an SSD on top of that.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cheers gents. Budget is £300 only. Anything from Dell direct you would recommend? 😛

chewkw
    Free Member

Inspiron 15 3000 @ £299.01 <<< This is within your budget but I would make this 8GB RAM. Not sure about the CPU.
    Intel® Celeron® Processor N3060
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
    4GB, 1600MHz, DDR3L, up to 8GB (you need to make this 8GB RAM)
    500GB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
    15.6-in. display

Inspiron 15 5567 @ £389.01<< this one seems to fit the bill but I am not sure about the CPU …
    Intel® Pentium® Processor 4415U
    8GB Single Channel DDR4 2400MHz, up to 16GB
    1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
    15.6-in. display

Inspiron 15 5567 @ £449.01 << this one is ideal but you budget out the window. 😀
    7th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-7100U Processor
    8GB Single Channel DDR4 2400MHz, up to 16GB
    1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive
    15.6-in. display

tthew

You’ll get a decent refurbished one from Tier 1 or Gigarefurb that meets chewkw’s spec. Why the insistence on new?

daviek

Dell have an outlet site with returned laptop. We’ve bought two from there quite a bit cheaper buying New, might be worth a look

Cougar

FFS chewkw, 8Gb and an SSD as minimum requirements? She’s running Word and the basic version of Sibelius, you could do that on a Netbook.

Dunno why it “needs to be new,” stuff from the Dell outlet will be near-perfect condition unless it says otherwise. Have a look at https://tinyurl.com/y7vew8jx

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    FFS chewkw, 8Gb and an SSD as minimum requirements? She’s running Word and the basic version of Sibelius, you could do that on a Netbook.

Future proof. 😀

I don’t know Sibelius but I know my Firebox browser is hungry.

As for the SSD I have Samsung 256 on mine (Desktop PC) and I hardly play game nor install anything on it apart from Microsoft Office, Firefox, some security software and they have already consumed 81.2GB. If you have 128GB SSD that will be very tight. Not impossible but tight. 😛

Edit: memory usage 57% average.

Some good ones on Dell refurb

edit:

Cougar – Moderator
    Dunno why it “needs to be new,” stuff from the Dell outlet will be near-perfect condition unless it says otherwise. Have a look at https://tinyurl.com/y7vew8jx

^^^ This one @ £299.64 . Good call Cougar. :mrgreen:

mattyfez

I have a Dell i5, 4gb ram. It’s absolutely fine for general duties. It’s probably about 5 years old now.
    SSD is highly recommended but not really possible on that budget if you want brand new.

Second hand /refurbished is your best bet really.

8gb or more ram simply isn’t nessesary unless your gaming or doing some other memory hogging tasks.
    My main gaming machine has 16gb ram and it’s only games that see it consume more than 8gb, and even then, not that often.

mattyfez

13 inch screen though.. Other than that it looks fine for the job.

I find 13 inch screens and the itty bitty keyboards annoying, that’s personal preference though.
    Maybe look for something with a 15 inch screen in a more standard form factor rather than 2in1.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

She is 15. Believe me, it has to be new 😀
    (Fussy teen/mega Strop if not new. She has to fit in in school y’ know)

chewkw
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member

13 inch screen though.. Other than that it looks fine for the job.

I find 13 inch screens and the itty bitty keyboards annoying, that’s personal preference though.
    Maybe look for something with a 15 inch screen in a more standard form factor rather than 2in1.

The one Cougar suggested is 15.6 inch screen.

Inspiron 15 – 5567
    Tech Specs
    Inspiron 15 – 5567
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-7100U (2 Core,3M Cache,2.40 GHz,15W)
    Windows 10 Home (64bit)
    8GB (1x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 SDRAM Non-ECC
    1 TB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
    8X DVD+/- RW Drive
    Software
    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11ac, 1×1, 2.4 & 5GHz + Bluetooth 4.2
    LCD Back Cover for Non-Touch Screen with HD Camera-Fog Gray
    Power Cord : 250V
    Primary 3-cell 42W/HR Battery
    15.6 Inch HD (1366×768) Truelife Non- Touch LED-Backlit Display
    Internal English Non Backlit Keyboard

😛

monkeysfeet – Member
    She is 15. Believe me, it has to be new
    (Fussy teen/mega Strop if not new. She has to fit in in school y’ know)

Just like my niece and nephew … got to be new. 😆

Their father (my Bro-in-law) ended up spending nearly £3K for two Apple Macbook … 😆

mattyfez

You’re just not going to get anything decent brand new for £300.
    Unless she wants a netbook.

What’s her preference for size/screen size?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Not fussed about screen size but she will be taking it to school. The Dell refurbs look good. How do the Refurbished laptops compare to new (ie. Could I get away with saying it’s new) 😀
    Thanks for the help guys.. appreciate it.

mattyfez

The one Cougar suggested is 15.6 inch screen.

My bad.. Looks like a decent deal then, but still, if it has to be brand new it’s a no go.

No one’s going to know it’s not brand new anyway once it’s not in a box anymore.

chewkw
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member
    My bad.. Looks like a decent deal then, but still, if it has to be brand new it’s a no go.

Monkeysfeet can pretend it is new … 😆 (I am imagining Monkeysfeet repacking it to make it “new” but during the process also tries to hide his trick by keeping a straight face 😆 )

On second thought better buy new, otherwise he will get a lot of screaming and telling off from a 15 year old … 😆

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

On second thought better buy new, otherwise he will get a lot of screaming and telling off from a 15 year old …

No change there then.. :D. If the Dell 15 3000 @ £299 is any good I will go for that one

Cougar

Future proof.

It’s a damn sight easier to upgrade the RAM / drive at a later date than be lumbered with a Pantium Celeron.

Monkeysfeet can pretend it is new …

Tell her it’s new, she almost certainly won’t be able to tell any different and even if she can then after a fortnight in the hands of a 15-year old it’ll look the same regardless of whether it was new or refurbished to start with.

Or, tell her to tell her friends it’s new – no-one will know other than her and you.

Cougar

I don’t know Sibelius but I know my Firebox browser is hungry.

Edit: memory usage 57% average.

As discussed on previous “what laptop” threads, you have no idea how Windows memory management works.

Consumed RAM isn’t bad, and 43% sitting there unused is a waste.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

😆 😆 if she finds out it’ll be ” Cougar said it would be reet..”

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    It’s a damn sight easier to upgrade the RAM / drive at a later date than be lumbered with a Pantium Celeron.

Agree. 😀

Monkeysfeet can pretend it is new …

Tell her it’s new, she almost certainly won’t be able to tell any different and even if she can then after a fortnight in the hands of a 15-year old it’ll look the same regardless of whether it was new or refurbished to start with.

Or, tell her to tell her friends it’s new – no-one will know other than her and you. [/quote]

The one Cougar has suggested is Certified Refurbished, which means pretty good by Dell’s definition. 😀

Consumed RAM isn’t bad, and 43% sitting there unused is a waste.

Agree. But not sure why sometimes I get a spike and the memory usage got to 80% without doing much. (I know Firefox consumption is high but I like Firefox) No virus or malware lurking btw.

Cougar

The one Cougar has suggested is Certified Refurbished, which means pretty good by Dell’s definition.

Quite. They have a separate classification for ones with scratches / cosmetic damage. It’s not going to look like it’s been dragged across the car park.

chewkw
    Free Member

monkeysfeet – Member
    😆 😆 if she finds out it’ll be ” Cougar said it would be reet..”

😆

Cougar – Moderator
    Quite. They have a separate classification for ones with scratches / cosmetic damage. It’s not going to look like it’s been dragged across the car park.

Yes, the other classification is ‘Scratch and Dent’ which will have “… considerable cosmetic blemishes …” 😛

Cougar

But not sure why sometimes I get a spike and the memory usage got to 80% without doing much.

Because:

you have no idea how Windows memory management works.

Windows will use spare memory for other optimisation duties, precisely because it’s a waste to have it sitting there doing nowt. If that memory is then needed by other applications Windows will dump it. “In use” is not the same as “unavailable for use.”

cp

Yes, the other classification is ‘Scratch and Dent’ which will have “… considerable cosmetic blemishes …”

I’ve had 4 scratch and dent ones, 3 of which I couldn’t find a thing on and one had the feintest of feint marks on the back. They were all effectively ‘new’.

Opening the box from anything Dell outlet looks like you’re getting a brand new machine, because effectively you are.

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

you have no idea how Windows memory management works.

Windows will use spare memory for other optimisation duties, precisely because it’s a waste to have it sitting there doing nowt. If that memory is then needed by other applications Windows will dump it. “In use” is not the same as “unavailable for use.” [/quote]
    Okay. What annoys me is the dumping process where it can be very obvious for me sometimes, as the system would “stop” (no more blinking cursor) for few seconds (3 to 5 seconds) then continue again. Then everything goes on as normal. Not the end of the world but just annoying if you are typing something quickly. 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member

This might be worth a look

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-hp-pavilion-15-au176sa-15.6-intel-core-i3-7100u-8gb-128gb-ssd-a1-z9f62ea/version.asp

Saw that just now but it’s the 128gb SSD that might be a problem. If it is 256gb SSD then that will be a very good deal..

cp – Member

Yes, the other classification is ‘Scratch and Dent’ which will have “… considerable cosmetic blemishes …”

I’ve had 4 scratch and dent ones, 3 of which I couldn’t find a thing on and one had the feintest of feint marks on the back. They were all effectively ‘new’.

Opening the box from anything Dell outlet looks like you’re getting a brand new machine, because effectively you are. [/quote]

That really sounds good.

cp

Also… Dell outlet stock varies all the time. It used to get updated with new stock around 3pm each week day, but it appears a bit more random now.

Check it regularly!

Cougar
    gofasterstripes
    Free Member

In some strange sort of ouroboros moment maybe you could consider a Chuwi laptop!??!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11821/the-chuwi-lapbook-123-review-premium-feel-budget-price

Smaller screen but higher quality by miles than you’ve any right to expect at the price (they also do a 14inch one, but this is nicer I think)

natrix
    Free Member

This from aldi for £250?? https://www.aldi.co.uk/medion-11-6%22-2-in-1-laptop/p/079509165808600

I know its a notepad really, but it might say laptop on the box……….

sbob
    Free Member

Sticker on my Acer says i3-5005u/8GB/1TB.
    Was £280 from PCWorld 18 months ago.
    Has one of the better keyboards I’ve used and one of the only trackpads I’ve ever got on with.
    Overall case feels a bit flimsy for my liking, but other than that better than my OH’s Toshiba in every way.

Had a look, you’ll struggle to match that spec without some serious shouting.

AlexSimon

I hope you’ve already bought that outlet Dell

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Laptop recommendations under £300.00’ is closed to new replies.