Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lancaster short term ?
  • rmacattack
    Free Member

Hi been offered a contract in lancaster upto 6 months. Any recommendations or reviews about the area as to why i may go much apprectied or avoied, thanks

BenjiM

Amazing road riding and scenery from the door. Lake District 30 mins to the north. Nice cultural (small) city. Good night life. Not far from the coast.

fizik
    Free Member

Agree with the above apart from the city part, there are a few decent pubs but would never describe the nightlife as good. 6 months is worth a punt though purely for the riding element

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Moved to Lancaster for a few months after graduating in 2005. Still here and love it. Good pubs, the Dukes Theatre is good and gets good productions and films, and the people are mostly friendly. The 2 universities give the town more culture and entertainment than a town of this size should get. Housing is cheap and you’re only 2.5 hours on the train to London.

In an hour you can be in the middle of Manchester or in the middle of nowhere in the Lakes / Dales.

The mountain biking from the door isn’t really available but it’s only 30-45 mins to the Lakes or Gisburn. But the road riding is fantastic. The Trough of Bowland is good fun or there are lovely easy rides around the coast.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What he said
    Nice spot for riding though a car is needed for MTB

Decent ambience of culture due to being a university town so some interesting stuff on

Bit small so not exactly spectacular
    Cheapish to life

Crap one way system in the town centre.

simmy
    Free Member

Like everyone else said.

Junkyard is correct about the one way system, it’s horrible but they are building a bypass between the M6 and Heysham which will take away most of the east – west traffic.

Some really good road riding and its on the Way of the Roses route.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

OP have you made your mind up?

danposs86

Don’t forget there are a few good bike shops in the area too.

grum
    Free Member

Lived there for a long while. All of the above true apart from good nightlife. There’s some nice pubs and a good grassroots live music scene but that’s about it.

You can be in Stavely in under half an hour. Farleton Knott is nearer and good for a quick blast. Trough of Bowland/towards Howgills/Dales is roadie heaven.

Literally no MTB from the door though – also feels like a bit of a backwater.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Two great coffee shops

Sundayjumper

My alma mater 😀 One of my mates has recently moved back there <ahem> years after we graduated.

I can’t say I’d particularly recommend it above anywhere else, but it’s an OK place, and in easy reach of the Lakes. And not all that far from Scotland. Pretty quiet during the University holidays.

You’ll be fine doing six months there.

stever
    Free Member

Lived there 20 years and I’d move back happily.

rmacattack
    Free Member

thanks for the replies. i went over for a few days and it seemed nice enough on the other hand terms ended up falling through, but thanks for the insight and input.

anagallis_arvensis

Rain all the bloody time

Sundayjumper

anagallis does have a point, I’d forgotten how much it rains there !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lancaster short term ?’ is closed to new replies.