Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lake District Suggestions – Not Too miss
  • Mooly
    Free Member

Hi All.
    Had a good look through the guide books and on line but always find that posting on here is generally better in terms of like minded people sharing past experiences that they would recommend.
    So Going to the lake district in Easter – 15th -21st April with two kids 9 and 10 boys.
    What are the things that is shouldn`t miss out on.
    Cheers

peteimpreza

The Pencil Museum in Keswick

grum
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you staying? Can you drag your kids up hills?

wassock73
    Free Member

My 10 year old’s favourite place in Lakes is cathedral quarry – walk through a mountain rather than over it. He hums Indiana Jones music all the way through. All at your own risk mind. Forgive the multiple email cutpaste that follows:

As discussed, this is brilliant – though good to save as a surprise. Wear walking boots or wellies + take torch if you wanna go through the tunnel
    My pic: http://flic.kr/p/9mya2L

If you have similarly aged children I cannot recommend this walk highly enough – though be sure to check the map (pdf link) first.

First link is good for finding start of it, second makes more sense when you get there.

jekkyl

Blencathra would be a nice easy scenic mountain for young uns. Also wainwright’s catbells walk is great for the whole family, set off Keswick and you have to get the lake steamer across the water so a great adventure for kids. The walk is easy and gives some great views down the lake.

slowoldman

Blencathra would be a nice easy scenic mountain for young uns.

Depends on the route you take. Many would take a serious dislike to Sharp Edge.

I agree re Catbells though. A nice walk and coupled with the ferry a good day out.

globalti
    Free Member

I’m still puzzling over Not Too miss…

meeeee
    Free Member

wassock73 – have you got a rough grid ref where that longer tunnel to exit the quarry comes out?

Ive been in the cavern and main quarry quite a lot but never gone through the other exit tunnel.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Go Ape

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Blencathra: For an easy scramble, Sharp Edge has an alarming death-toll. Avoid it with children unless they are quite adventurous and obedient, or if you don’t have a good head for heights, or if it’s windy, or if it’s wet. If you want to get your hands on rock, Halls Fell Ridge leads directly to the summit and feels much less exposed. It’s quite a thole for little legs though.
    MRT

wassock73
    Free Member

@meeee that map is aligned the usual north to south and is fairly to scale – the tunnel isn’t really that far at all: several hundred yards maybe.

grid ref of exit would be something like 314028 – it comes out of the hill facing east (looking at Little Fell) above the track leading south from the ford. HTH

martinhutch

Ferry from Keswick to the other side of the lake. Walk up Catbells, or just along the Allerdale Ramble, pick up the ferry in the woods just after you come down off the ridge.

senorj

When I was l’aal , I used to love this….still do tbh..

The Bowder Stone

postierich
    Free Member

Go to Brockhole in between Windermere and Ambleside they have a Goape type thing a huge zip wire, good views, hire a canoe walk the Gardens good café. Entry is the car parking fee extra for the climbing.canoe 🙂
    http://www.brockhole.co.uk/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lake District Suggestions – Not Too miss’ is closed to new replies.