Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lake District peeps – I'm looking for a route nr Broughton-in-F or Muncaster???
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Enroute to Wasdale and want to do a route on the way from the M6, about 3-4 hours. Anywhere that starts reasonably close to the main A590/A595 route?. can be anywhere really, on that route, but rather it was more out west around Broughton-in-F, Bootle, Ulpha, Muncaster etc
    Thanks in advance

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Dunnerdale fells – loads of good riding down to seathwhwaite and back up over waln (or take the right hander 2/3rds of the way up to head for Jackson ground/broughton moor forest. Park at Duddon Bridge and head up to pickthall ground 2 stonking descents down to the duddon from there – need a bit of commitment to get back up though! The ride from ulpha bridge up to kiln bank cross down the park head road but stop and go over long mire to stephenson ground and pick your own route back to the car (for me back over blackstones to the duddon and down the road)

Avoid the moorland over corney, bog fest.

Or if you’re going to eskdale anyway set off from the backdoor in at boot over to wasdale up the back or Irton pike and down the front back up to burnmoor tarn and back down to boot (prob only 2-3 hours) loads of bits in eskdale bottom too for a quick muck about.

There’s a couple of hours worth on blawith common and kirkby moor(park up at Gawthwaite or just after) head toward crooked birch.

Blast up to the top of blackcoombe from the south and back down again? only an hour and half but if you’re delayed for whatever reason would be a good option – some of the best views going

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Avoid the moorland over corney, bog fest.

Is that the same area as Ulpha Fell I was looking at this route http://pedalnorth.com/content/ulpha-fell but didn’t like the sound of ‘be prepared to navigate vast tracts of damp moors’
    The Wasdale/Boot route I’ve got planned for another day

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yup – Dunnerdale for the win then. If you can translate the garbled nonsense above.

Irton Pike descent is the best I’ve ridden anywhere.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Irton Pike descent is the best I’ve ridden anywhere.

Do you mean the descent thru Miterdale Forest?

For Dunnerdale I’m thinking this Option1 or Bogtrotters or a variation of the Bogtrotters route. Is there anything that particularly shouldn’t be missed or done a certain way round.?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

+1 for Dunnerdale, and should be nice and dry after this week.

Park here https://goo.gl/maps/mSTft, head down through the forest to Stephenson Ground, follow the BW to the top, then turn right, head down to the pub at Seathwaite via awesome downhill BW, quick pint before the long slog back up Walna Scar, turn right at the top, and head back down to Natty Bridge via a little tricky bit, and then on to the BW that runs along the river ( steep gorge down to the river to the left of you, so watch out !), back to Stephenson Ground and retrace your steps to the car park.

Edit : The boggies route is the one I mean, but without the added loops ( which you can do if you like ) but parking at one of the car parks in the bottom right hand corner of the map, and taking the BW through the forest to Stephenson Ground, where it says Quarry (dis). Heading in an anti clockwise direction. The extra loops would be good, but I suppose it depends on how much time you have. Without the loops, I reckon 3-4 hours depending on your fitness.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yes, Mitredale forest.

Either of those is good the boggies route looks like a biggish day out with Harter fell chucked in but covers more of the best. Blackstones descent and natty bridge descent are the highlights though you can cheat and ride up the other side of the beck in broughton moor forest to get to the top of natty bridge and thus cut out climbing walna and the bogs across the top – you do miss out on the descent of the park head road but that aint all that unless your a baby head rock garden fan.

In summary:

park at duddon bridge take the BOAt on the immediate right – head up to Pickthall ground descent to duddon – ride road toward ulpha just before bridge turn right and use either bridleway to get to kiln bank cross head north west on park head road – descision time! if you;re feeling brave continue descending to get to seathwaite, if not head over long mire – a nice little descent in itself and then head up the fire road in Broughton Moor forest to get to the top of natty bridge.

If you went for brave on desicion time 1 the it’s desicion time 2 if you’re feeling very brave head up to Birks Bridge and do the harter fell section if feeling less brave continue to walna scar road for 15 minutes pain and misery. to get to the top of natty bridge

From natty bridge descent to stephenson ground, follow the trail back round past the bottom of longmire but cross the valley bottom to climb up to jackson ground. follow the trail back round to kiln bank cross and either follow the cheeky bit on the boggies route (never doen that bit myslef) or the road to scrithwaite farm and over blackstones – back to the car via the road, home in time for tea and medals.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Alternatively come and baby-sit my kids so i can do it

stevestunts
    Free Member

^^^ What thesteriliser said.

Some great riding to be had around Dunnerdale, a highly-underrated (and therefore quieter) part of the Lakes and not too far off your route. I was out for a couple of hours up there a few weeks back and saw half a dozen people in all that time (including in cars on the road sections between my start and end points).

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You could baby sit stevestumps kids too then we could both get out and I could give him YET ANOTHER schooling

hegdehog
    Free Member

IMO the climb up Walna Scar then the boggy section from White Pike to Natty Bridge isn’t worth it. The descent from Brock Barrow to Seathwaite on the other hand is a corker!

I’d park at Whislting Green, then to Birks, follow the bridleway through the forest, when the forest ends take the gate on the right which leads you to the road at Kiln Bank. Up the steep road climb.
    Just before the top join the bridleway on the left & follow it to Brock Barrow. Enjoy the long descent to Seathwaite!
    Turn right onto the road at the bottom & follow it North all the way to Birks Bridge- great place for a butty stop if you’ve brought one..
    Cross over & follow the path to Birks. Forest road, turn left at t-junc, take 1st left (still forest road) towards Grassgaurds.
    Follow this bridleway as it undulates & ends with a really good descent to Wallowbarrow.
    Right at the bottom & follow the quiet lane back to Ulpha Bridge..

Similar to the other routes mentioned, although if you’re not familier with the area the longers routes could easily take more than 3-4hrs..

stevestunts
    Free Member

thesteriliser – he said he’s only got three to four hours, and you’d take twice that long to get round that loop 😈

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys
    I’m quite liking Hedgehog’s route, just because I’ve done the Walna Scar half route before, so this would all be new ground and it’s probably more realistic for the time we might have. I’ve heard the Brock Barrow – Seathwaite descent is good (we missed it out in the WS half route).

What’s the general consensus on the brock barrow descent?. As hedgehog suggests, up far kiln bank, left, left, down brock barrow. OR, continue on the BW to Stephensons Ground and down Brock Barrow, is the extra to SG worth it?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Also, has anybody done the footpath from Birks to Grassguards? Or is the BW route the better option?

stevestunts
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother going Stainton Ground > Carter Ground > Stephenson Ground > Brock Barrow. You’d be climbing the best bits of trail. Definitely a section to do clockwise (although I don’t think that fits into the rest of your intended route).

Andy_K

The Birks area was felled a bit ago, so the footpath doesn’t exist anymore AFAIK.
    For a quick blast, park at the Newfield Arms pub, do the Brock barrow descent as above via Kiln bank, then do Great Wood BW>Birks>forest road>Grassguards>Wallowbarrow descent.

Splendid.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Do the stephenson ground loop clockwise by breaking off the brockbarrow/park head road descent and down longmire. means doing the top end of park head road twice but that’s no hardship. could easily add that to hedgehogs route (would take 40min-ish)

Andy_K

(Cheeky option from High Wallowbarrow back to the Pub is rideable too, so I’ve heard…)

hegdehog
    Free Member

As stevestunts said, i wouldn’t bother with the loop down to Stevensons ground. The section to Jackson Ground is ok, but then there’s a bit of a bog & mostly a push up to the top of Brown Haw (& vague path at the top).

As Andy K said the Birks area was felled a while ago wrecking the footpath.
    The bridleway from Kepple Crag to Grassguards is a waste of time, you’ll be taking the bike for a walk on the top section & the rest of it is a bit of a crappy path not worth the detour.

If you want to avoid most of the road climb from Kin Bank there’s a bridleway on the right just before you enter the forest at Birks. The first part is a steep push, then a boggy section, but then the rest is pretty rideable. If you’re using a gps don’t try & search out the marked bridleway, just follow the obvious path that skirts round the crag. This brings you out at a cattle grid 2/3rds of the way up the climb..

Bit confusing that there’s 2 Birks on the same route! 😮

hegdehog
    Free Member

If you wanted to add a bit onto the end of the ride, after Wallowbarrow, cross the Duddon earlier at Hall Bridge (Nook), then climb the road to Kiln Bank then take the bridleway back to Birks. This would be a good option instead on the road.

If you want a bit more gnar & don’t mind a push up, head to Duddon Bridge & park near the old iron furnace, ride past it & follow the path which turns steep & rocky (push up) to the top. Turn round & head back down! This is the Pyg Run, don’t forget your pads for this one 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lake District peeps – I'm looking for a route nr Broughton-in-F or Muncaster???’ is closed to new replies.