Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ladies specific bike – Is it really worth it?
  • scunny
    Free Member

So my girlfriend has just got back from a girls holiday in Cyprus, whilst they were there they hired some bikes (this is after a year of me trying to get her to try one at home), and now she’s decided she’d like one. Obviously i’ve offered to get her one, i’ve got loads of bits lying around i can chuck together but i’m missing a frame. So, i’ve got to get her one, but would i be alright getting her a 16″ Inbred for instance? or would she benefit from a female specific frame?

I’m under no illusions that after building this bike, making it look nice, she’ll use it once and never think about it again.

daj
    Free Member

We have just been through the process of fitting for my misses, I think it depends on their shape, A standard shorter lady may suit a womens specific design (shorter top tubes) taller ladies or with longer legs can be just aswell suited to normal (mens if you would) frames. thats our outcome anyway for what its worth.

cinnamon_girl

I would say that if she is shorter than 5’4″ then women-specific definitely. A 16″ Inbred would have a long top tube. So really it depends on her proportions as well.

Would be worth looking in the Classifieds too.

scunny
    Free Member

She’s 5’5, 110bs. I’m in 2 minds, i can buy her a decent (men’s ?) frame for the same price i’d be able to get her a shit female specific frame. Annoying part is i doubt she’ll ever notice a difference, it’s only me thats bothered and its not even my bike!

cinnamon_girl

OK, same height as me then. Short or long legs? Short or long torso?All my bikes are mens, fwiw.

Lightweight is good, steel is also good. Are your forks half-decent? If it weighs a ton then she probably won’t be interested!

scunny
    Free Member

Long legs.

I’ve got some f120’s in the shed that have a stripped brake mount, i’m gonna retap it and then she can have em. XT group set, so it’ll be a pretty nice bike. I’ll have a look in the classifieds/ebay and see what pops up.

I may be shooting myself in the foot here. Sunday’s away riding is my escape, what if she wants to come? 🙁

cinnamon_girl

OK, long legs here too. I used to have a 16″ 456 but top tube was really too long. Also had a 14″ Inbred ss but that was a bit short. A Soul would be ideal (I used to have one) and a 120 fork would be perfect.

You’ll obviously need to set out some rules re weekend riding. 😉

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

At 5’5″ with long legs (i.e. short torso), won’t a 16″ Inbred be a bit of a stretch on the toptube side? Even with an inline seatpost, she’d need a pretty short stem.

cinnamon_girl

Draw up a short list and ask on here if any girlies have anything she could try out?

For example, I have a 16″ Cotic Simple which is same geometry as the Soul. My others wouldn’t be appropriate!

scunny
    Free Member

Perhaps.

I’ve got an old 18″ inbred with a 90mm stem that she’s been sat on today so i could get an idea of size. She was really stretched out, so i’m definitely looking at a 50mm (ish) stem on a 14″/16″ frame.

cinnamon_girl

A 50mm stem is pretty short though? And Inbreds aren’t the lightest either.

I would bump up this thread for tomorrow to get replies from other girlies.

wallop

I am 5ft 8 and ride a soul, seems perfect for me. If she’s got long legs then she may struggle with some longer top tubes, as someone has already mentioned.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ladies specific bike – Is it really worth it?’ is closed to new replies.