• This topic has 23 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • lacking enthusiasm
  • Pook

many of you lot know me. You know I’m pretty keen on this biking lark.

But this last two weeks I’ve just not really been that up for doing any riding. I was away last weekend and took the bike, lugged it about from car to cottage to car but didn’t ride it once.
    This weekend I cancelled a ride ‘cos I couldn’t be bothered, and then today instead of getting out I’ve just bimbled about.

What’s up with me?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You need a break, take one.

nbt

It happens. Don’t force it. Do something else instead. Eventually you’ll fancy a ride and when you do go out you’ll love it. I’ve been through it. In fact I haven’t been out this weekend either, but that’s partly because I’ve had a bad back

Rorschach
    Free Member

meh

crispo
    Free Member

You just need one cracking ride and you’ll remember why you love it.

Weather has been crap lately and it’s easy to forget the good bits when it’s slogging through the mud. I was like that then went riding up at gisburn today in the beautiful weather and in hooked again! Heading to Lee quarry tomorrow to hopefully reinforce my rekindled love of the bike!

Hope you get that ride soon!

jambalaya
    Free Member

In some respects this is the toughest time of the year, summer (cough) has gone, the autumn colours are fading and it’s just wet and boggy. The clocks have gone back. The cold weather which firms the ground and those great frosty or snow tinged rides are a way off yet.

So take a break and reflect on the rides you done this year and accept my thanks for the routes you’ve shared with me, the best uk riding I’ve done this year. Hope to see you on a Pootle in 2013.

bwaarp
    Free Member

You might find you enjoy it if you force yourself to go out (if your just being lazy).

Also has this attitude seeped over to other aspects of life? If so then I would say it’s Anhedonia and that many people get it as passing phases throughout their lives, if it lasts a few months and starts to impact your life then I would suggest counselling. If you are feeling a bit ‘cant be arsed with anything’ then as other’s have said, give yourself a break and just enjoy not worrying about anything.

In some respects this is the toughest time of the year, summer (cough) has gone, the autumn colours are fading and it’s just wet and boggy. The clocks have gone back. The cold weather which firms the ground and those great frosty or snow tinged rides are a way off yet.

+1, quite literally SAD. Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some kind of evolutionary mechanism going on telling you to slow down for winter.

fieldy
    Free Member

I sometimes get into that frame of mind.
    Once did the coast 2 coast and didn’t get back on my bike for 6 months?
    We now get out on a Tuesday evening…. Nothing like a cold night ride to make you wonder why we do this?
    Did Gisburn on Friday with my son and haven’t even cleaned the bikes off yet?
    Will pull myself out of it tomorrow when cleaning the bikes in the dark!
    Chin up and try a night ride!

Pook

Cheers folks, this helps.

I’ve not had a decent length night ride for a while – might get out this week – the weather man said it was milder this week so I’ll have a go.

BadlyWiredDog

What’s up with me?

Dunno, but if you ever fancy getting out on some ‘interesting’ trails on this side of the Peak for a bit of a change, just shout.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

It happens. I’m off MTB at the moment. It just doesn’t ‘do’ anything for me. So instead I road ride and when that doesn’t do it I go running.

bwaarp
    Free Member

If all else fails, get a superbike. It’s like crack, just more dangerous.

bearnecessities

What’s up with me?

Nothing; it’s your bike. Blame the bike, and go out and spend some money on that frame/fork combo you’ve been secretly lusting after 🙂

Tom83

Check out the autumn riding pics thread. I’m now going for a ride before work tomorrow because of it!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It probably happens to everyone at some point. I dont even bother riding my mountain bike anymore, the added hassle associated with it is just another reason not to bother.

I tend to end up forcing myself to ride my road bike even when I dont want to. Always enjoy it.

Jamie
    Free Member

What’s up with me?

Nothing.

I really like cheese, but if that’s all I ate then I would stop liking cheese. So occasionally I will have an apple instead of cheese. This means I enjoy the cheese even more when I go back to it.

So in summary. Absence makes the cheese grow fondue fonder.

…or just get a road bike.

sambob
    Free Member

You’re not the only one, I’ve not been for a proper ride since I was in the Alps, and that was the last day in August. Might build myself a new bike, but I’m not sure even that will work. I’ve got new forks and a new front tyre that haven’t been out for a proper ride, and I’ve just had two weeks of doing absolutely nothing. But strangely, it’s been quite nice. Bit of a shame really, as continuing riding after the Alps would have given my fitness a real boost. I fancy doing some indoor climbing for a bit, might be a nice change.

Popocatapetl

I’d say MTFU 😀 Make the most of it before the “young un” arrives! There’s Nowt so queer as baby’s to disturb your karma! what night for night riding then??? ( we all get a bit off now and again!)
    Edit: What thou really needs is a reet nice new bike! Do it now before your broke for the next 21 years 😀

tessayates
    Free Member

“Absence makes the cheese grow fondue fonder.”

eDam that’s funny.

I’ve just been to my first trail centre and I’m all over mountain biking like a shark with knees right now. No enthusiasm for the road bike though so maybe Jamie’s Ricotta point.

barkit
    Free Member

If all else fails, get a superbike. It’s like crack, just more dangerous.

That is so true!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I have a break from it every year for a few months. I couldn’t ride week in week out all year long. I just get to a point where I don’t feel like riding so I don’t. After a month or two I get the bug again and can’t wait to get back out on the bike.

Works for me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It happens to me. It’s “the change”. We’ve gone from summer as it was to most definitely winter. Can’t be arsed to get the bike and kit all covered in crap. It will pass in a week or two, normally when mates organise a bit of an outing like a pootle or something. Then, when it comes around, you have to do it.

Jamie, an apple tastes all the better with a lump of cheese.

Coyote
    Free Member

Do something else. Swimming works for me. Totally different dynamic but still satisfying. Running also makes a welcome change. 30 – 40 minutes running can give a pretty good workout.

Alternatively give yourself a month off. Won’t kill you.

hora
    Free Member

Winter blues. We will soon adjust. The Peaks is great looking in winter. We need aPeaks winter photo thread to cheer pook up

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘lacking enthusiasm’ is closed to new replies.