Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • KS no longer have a UK Distributor
  • nasher
    Free Member

Just got an email newsletter from Pure racing..

Looks like they have dropped KS, apparently not paying for warranty works.

Looks like the Reverb is still king then!!

KS End of Distribution Announcement.

With regret we announce Pure Racing will cease being the exclusive distributor and service centre for all KS products as of today – 19/02/13.

Despite a long relationship, having nurtured the KS height adjustable seatpost brand to one of the most popular in the UK during our tenure we are now parting company.

KS continued attempts to avoid paying for work done in upholding their “2 year manufacturer’s warranty”, we have had to absorb large losses on their behalf which is unacceptable. While this dispute continued KS restricted deliveries and spares preventing Pure Racing from offering the support we expect for our customers, it has been decided that it is time to go our own ways.

We apologise for any customers who have been left with backorders unfulfilled as KS refused to offer any delivery dates for future deliveries for the past few weeks.

We had minimal stock and this has been cleared. Unfortunately we can only offer basic servicing for the transition period, as KS have restricted spares supply and failed to honour work done previously and is unlikely to pay for any future work. All warranty work will need to be forwarded to other service centres in Europe, until a new UK service centre is opened.

Pure Racing MD, Neil Wilkinson had this to say: “Pure Racing has worked tirelessly to build the KS brands in the UK over the past 5 years so it is of course sad to come to an end of this particular chapter in our history. We tried our hardest to work through any issues, but KS seemed intent on trying to destroy their own brand and distribution/service base. However, Pure Racing has several new projects and brands to build for them a successful, long term and sustainable business in the UK and Republic of Ireland, always with the best interests of our customers in mind.”

What happens now?

If you have any complaints, queries or requests please forward them to KS Taiwan or KS USA:

KS Customer Service – Yvonne – yenyue@ms49.hinet.net
    KS USA – rtaylor1@cox.net

Until KS sets up a new service centre/distributor in the UK we recommend forwarding any manufacturers warranty or service requests to other European distributors which can be found on:
    http://kssuspension.com/support/worldwide-partners/

Items returned to ourselves for warranty or service will be returned immediately.

Thank you, Neil Wilkinson”

wwaswas

shame for fruit – he’s worked hard to build up the brand and business.

‘large losses on warranty work’ does sound like they’re not the most reliable of products though…

scotroutes

Items returned to ourselves for warranty or service will be returned immediately.

Is that even legal? Surely as a customer your first port of call is the retailer you bought it from.

FuzzyWuzzy

Although I’m a fan of the Lev it’s hard to recommend one now (although I’ll leave it as Wiggle’s problem if mine breaks…)

MSP

Is that even legal? Surely as a customer your first port of call is the retailer you bought it from.

Thats what I thought, while manufacturers usually back up the retailer, the legal responsibility is with the retailer.

nasher
    Free Member

Thats what I thought, while manufacturers usually back up the retailer, the legal responsibility is with the retailer.

This email was sent to retailers etc… and not to customers, so your LBS will have the post back and most probably will have to send it to Europe.

wwaswas

If he does just push the problem and cost back to retailers they’re hardly likely to take a shine to any other products he tries to distribute in future?

MarkN
    Free Member

Not good news but there are at least 2 sides to every story. Any press release from KS yet?

I suspect that this will now mean that the European bike shops can now sell items in to UK market. Who knows, maybe this was part of the problem between Pure and KS. I am sure more details will emerge in the near future.

ojom
    Free Member

That could have been written much more professionally.

LoCo
    Free Member

If it’s costing them alot of money/time/labour to sort warranty issues it makes sense for them to stop dealing with the products.

messiah
    Free Member

I suspect KS will be wanting access to a larger more traditional distributor… and to achieve this aim have made life difficult for the little guy who took the risk and championed their product so well at the start. It’s a dog-eat-dog capitalist world out there. Expects announcement from KS about major “improved distribution network” shortly 🙄

LoCo
    Free Member

Edit: Probably/maybe

akira

Gap in the market then, when’s your new one appearing Loco?

LoCo
    Free Member

Still testing the 3rd Gen. ‘Bighorn’ on the filthy Welsh slop, all have been 100% reliable so far and they are being badly abused 😉
    Shouldn’t be more than a month or so. 😀

akira

As long as its cheap, light, reliable and looks good then ill have one 😉

Leku
    Free Member

and 27.2…

charliedontsurf

I have been in contact recently as their posts are going on a few krampus builds.

So if anyone needs a fancy post, let me know.

albash82
    Free Member

Charlie, are you getting posts from the USA, far east
    Or Europe? I’ve not had much luck trying to sort a few warranty issues for customers.
    Also quite fancy a 6″ lev for myself.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Isn’t Neil Wilkinson from superstar components too?

shermer75
    Free Member

This thread is fascinating! It throws up so many questions. I’ve just looked at the Pure Racing website and KS dropper seatposts are the ONLY product they have. What are they going to do now?!?

crankrider
    Free Member

This thread is fascinating! It throws up so many questions. I’ve just looked at the Pure Racing website and KS dropper seatposts are the ONLY product they have. What are they going to do now?!?

I think as mentioned, the director of superstar is also the director of pure…. Did he interview himself for the press release? 😉

Nearly bought a post on sale, glad i didnt now. Does anyone else think its a bit shit that they sold them off cheap before announcing this?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

well, given Neils history with warranty and his general approach to people and customer care in general, one has to ask the question – Is it really the case that KS are that bad?

We know what a spin doctor he is.

crankrider
    Free Member

I have only used superstar for bits n bobs (the usual pads etc) so cant comment on warranty as the stuff has worked ok.

I just think from a business perspective, if you own both superstar and pure the distribution company it would be more ‘correct’ to inform people that they are on sale due to them pulling distribution.

Can you legally just pull the plug as it were if you are still trading in the same mannner – could shops still send warranty back to pure as they are the supplier or is that not how it works?

wrecker
    Free Member

KS are quite a big outfit. I wonder if old fruityboy had been taking the piss with the warranty costs?

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m sorry, I’m a bit lost here- what is the connection between KS, Superstar, Pure Racing and ‘fruit’?!?!?

crankrider
    Free Member

KS is distributed by ‘Pure Race’, the director is Neil or ‘Fruit’

Superstar’s director is Neil or ‘Fruit’:

Pure Racing (TA) – Tibolts Wholesale Ltd
    Unit 9 Lincoln Enterprise Park
    Newark Road
    Lincoln
    Lincolnshire
    LN5 9EJ

Superstar Components Ltd
    Unit 9 Lincoln Enterprise Park
    Newark Road
    Lincoln
    LN5 9EJ

Same people.

scotroutes

KS – manufacturer
    Pure Racing – UK Distributor
    Superstar – a UK retailer
    “Fruit” – the once-STW logon id of the owner of both Superstar and Pure Racing who was banned for setting up another logon id and dissing some of his competition.

There are other tales, but that’s a decent summary to be going on with.

Pridds

I’ve got a Lev and have had i900 and i950’s before and whilst it’s a pain not having a distributor at the minute with regard to servicing, Pure racing/Superstar were so shocking everytime i had a problem with mine that i’m actually quite happy. Hopefully one of the bigger distributors will pick up KS and do a proper job of customer service and actually helping the people who bought their products rather than just blaming them when something goes wrong.
    As for that press release, does anyone remember that when Superstar first started selling them they were branded as Pure Racing posts. The KS branding is a fairly recent thing so trying to develop their own brand may be a more accurate description.

crankrider
    Free Member

Pictures on the Pure site still have ‘KS for Pure Racing’ logos on the posts…. sounds plausable.

butterbean
    Free Member

I’ve got a Lev and have had i900 and i950’s before and whilst it’s a pain not having a distributor at the minute with regard to servicing, Pure racing/Superstar were so shocking everytime i had a problem with mine that i’m actually quite happy. Hopefully one of the bigger distributors will pick up KS and do a proper job of customer service and actually helping the people who bought their products rather than just blaming them when something goes wrong.

Doubt it, most wouldn’t touch it with a sh*tty stick. Which is why nothing has been announced already. Good brands and products have people lined up to fill in where someone left off, announcements come almost immediately. Not two weeks with no news…

He could weasel his way out of warranty work, if he winds up pure racing. I imagine that would go down great with the people who have sold them and have warranty issues however.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Is KS reliability questionable then? I’ve only seen one in the flesh and is oozed quality TBH. The Lev is doing very well in the reviews stakes at the moment too.

bigjim

If the posts were the only product of pure racing, he can just fold that company and not have to worry about any warranty issues, no?

philfive
    Free Member

Bit naughty of superstar though, they sold of there stock of KS posts cheap this week knowing there would no longer be any UK warranty support.

Tut Tut

robbonzo
    Free Member

Mmm interesting, i’ll think i’ll hold fire on one of their posts then. If you want a post with no flappy cable what are your options? reverb stealth? why aren’t more companies offering this?

robbonzo
    Free Member

can you still read the dodgy threads before he got banned? Be interested to see what went down!

elaineanne
    Free Member

Oh great i have one of those seatposts…lever version..tho at the time the bike shop said wen there gone thats it.. wasnt sure if they were making anymore….i bought it cos of my stem size which is 27.2 so couldnt get a teverb lol

crankrider
    Free Member

Bit naughty of superstar though, they sold of there stock of KS posts cheap this week knowing there would no longer be any UK warranty support.

Exactly what i thought, pretty shady if you ask me – especially as they were the support. Though i would expect superstar themselves have to provide support now as they are the retailer?

If the posts were the only product of pure racing, he can just fold that company and not have to worry about any warranty issues, no?

If it is another trading name of the same LTD company can you do that?

By that thought, is Superstar Components (or TiBolts LTD) still liable for any warranty – or am i talking total crap?

Did like the look of the posts though, but got a reverb on the cheap from merlin in the end.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Pure Racing did announce that they had no distribution agreement with KS at least a week before they had their sale on KS products.
    This thread is over a week old now.

crankrider
    Free Member

Pure Racing did announce that they had no distribution agreement with KS at least a week before they had their sale on KS products.

Announcing to the trade is different to selling them on one of your own websites to the unknowing public though isnt it?

zilog6128

By that thought, is Superstar Components (or TiBolts LTD) still liable for any warranty – or am i talking total crap?

Only if Superstar/TiBolts/Pure Racing are indeed separate trading names for the same company. If they are entirely separate LTD companies then, even if they have the same directors/staff, they have absolutely no connection to each other. Although there are legitimate reasons for doing this, it’s also a pretty common tactic used by a certain type of businessman. 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘KS no longer have a UK Distributor’ is closed to new replies.