Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • KS i950 / other non-remote dropper posts
  • hunta

I’m looking at dropper posts and like the idea of not having the faff and additional point of failure of a remote.

Does anyone have experience of the KS i950? How easy is it to adjust on the fly in reality? Can you use it in conjunction with a QR, set to the top of the travel for easy return to the up position?

Any alternatives I should be looking into?

Sorry for all the questions, bit of a noob.

honourablegeorge

Dropper post with no remote is missing the point completely.

tinman66
    Free Member

Agree totally with honourablegeorge

I bought a X-Fusion Hilo with remote but decided against fitting the remote as I wanted to keep it faff free, plus I’m a tart and I like not having a cluttered bike.

10mins in to my first ride with the dropper I was regretting the decision. Without a remote, on really rough steep stuff you still need to stop or at least slow right down to take your hand off the bar long enough to drop the seat. You may as well just drop the post by hand.

The remote is definitely necessary if you want to get the most from the dropper post.

hunta

OK, noted… Thanks for the feedback.

Reverb from Bike Discount it is then I guess!

sam_underhill

KS Lev from wiggle ftw. Easy to disconnect to take off if need be. No hassle with bleeding. Super slick in operation. It’s a wee bit more expensive than the cheep reverbs though.

hunta

Looks like a great option, sam.

Looks like it’s only really available in 385mm at the moment. How did you decide on length? I can’t find any guide on the KS site and so far asking them direct hasn’t yielded anything.

sam_underhill

I got the following reply from Pure Racing….

Hello the i900/i950 seatpost is 385mm long at full extension, and has 125mm of adjustment.
    Minimum insertion is 100mm and maximum insertion is 200mm

The 2011 6″ i950 seatpost is 430mm long at full extension, and has 150mm of adjustment.
    Minimum insertion is 100mm and maximum insertion is 220mm

If you want, I can double check the measurements, but given the amount I’ve got sticking out I’d suggest the figures above are pretty much spot on.

honourablegeorge

sam_underhill – Member

It’s a wee bit more expensive than the cheep reverbs though.

It’s TWICE the price of the cheap Reverbs,

sam_underhill

I paid just under £250 for my Lev including quidco etc. I’m pretty certain you can’t get a reverb for much less then £200.

honourablegeorge

sam_underhill – Member

I’m pretty certain you can’t get a reverb for much less then £200.

Mine was 205 Euro – that’s £161

hunta

sam, where did you get yours from?

sam_underhill

Fair enough, 205 Euros is proper cheap. Pretty exceptional exchange rate as well.

sam_underhill

I got my Lev from Wiggle. Waited for a 10% code and used Quidco for 3% cash back.

Edit, therefore 285.99 * 0.9 *0.97 = £249.66

singlespeedstu

Can someone with a LEV measure the distance from the seat rails to the bottom of the collar on the post.
    I need to know how long it is if it’s sat as low as it’ll go in the frame.

honourablegeorge

singlespeedstu – Member

I need to know how long it is if it’s sat as low as it’ll go in the frame

maximum insertion is 220mm

sam_underhill

I’ll measure mine this evening.

Pretty certain that the max insertion figure above is pretty darn close. Therefore ~185mm.

singlespeedstu

Thanks but I need to know how much remains sticking out of the frame not in it.
    ie. from the top of the seat tube to the seat rails.
    Edit.
    Be very gratefull if you would measure it Sam.

hunta

Did you see what I did there? Went from basic, lever dropper to most expensive remote dropper, just like that 😀

Love it.

hillsplease

Avoid Crank Bros. Unless you want something that won’t hold air and then on a techy bit of black alpine lodge the saddle where it should not be lodged. Did add an exciting and unwanted element to the riding. The guide was also swearing fluently at his. Foreign travel – brilliant!

hunta

Avoid Crank Bros

Yup, the Kronolog looked tempting until I read the reviews…

ahwiles
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

Dropper post with no remote is missing the point completely.

i don’t know… i had a ‘standard’ gravity dropper, no remote, thought it was ace.

it din’t take long – couple of rides – to develop the knack of letting it up/down ‘one-handed’.

my next ‘dropper will be remoteless if possible.

sam_underhill

Stu – I’ve taken note to Measure this evening.

sam_underhill

okily dokily…..

From the centre of the saddle rails to the bottom of the bulging collar on the post is ~183mm. Obviously this will vary a little depending on the angle the saddle is at, but I tried to measure as centrally as I could.
    Also bear in mind that the actuator (where the cable attaches) hangs over the seat collar, so a big fat QR might not be appropriate. Ming hangs over a little, but I’m just using a fairly slim non QR collar. I’m certain it would go down all the way.

singlespeedstu

Cheers for that Sam.
    Looks like it will just about fit with a lower profile saddle.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘KS i950 / other non-remote dropper posts’ is closed to new replies.