Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Kramp'sus
  • ajantom

Been fettling away getting a Maverick DUC32 to fit my Krampus…

First of all that headtube and integrated headset. It’s bloody short! Far to short for the minimum 130mm that the Duc32 will take, even with the low crown.
    So as luck would have it I have access to a lathe, so I made this….

Secondly, reducing the travel. Now £30 for two pieces of plastic to reduce the travel seems a little steep to me. So a bar of nylon from eBay, and I used the lathe again to make up some spacers. 48mm, rather than Maverick’s 38mm, to take into account the larger wheel diameter.

Thirdly, the forks came with a wheel, but I can’t be bothered to break down the front wheel and rebuild it. As luck would have it the existing front wheel is built onto a Pro 2 hub, and Hope do a Maverick adaptor. Reading around on MTBR though it seems that people have had problems with it as it’s smooth anodised, and the Maverick hub has a knurled finish. But guess what…..yup, I have a knurling attachment for the lathe.

So, fitted it all, redished the wheel, and took it for it’s first shake down ride today up at Haldon….
    All worked very well – almost boringly so! It rode beautifully….well right up until the last downhill of the day and the epoxy I’d used to fix the steerer nut extension in decided to give way. A quick look and appears not to have cured properly. I’ll give the bits a better clean and re-glue it 😳
    It turns the Krampus into a proper hooligan 😉

With Ontor’s Karate Monkey for comparison…

brant
    Free Member

Excellent work.

tazzymtb

That is brilliant! Now to get some decent tyres on it once surly actually release the dirt wizards!

ajantom

That is brilliant! Now to get some decent tyres on it once surly actually release the dirt wizards!

You say that, but I’ve really had no problems with the Knards at all. Good in the dry, good on roots, fine on loam and mulchy stuff, and even fine in sloppy conditions. Yes they’ve lost grip on occasion, but only after everyone else has too.
    Mind you the Dirt Wizards do look good 8)

Del

It rode beautifully….well right up until the last downhill of the day climb I walked up

FIFY.

😀

tazzymtb

I like the knards in the dry..cocking awful on wet slimy stuff for me..mind you I am shite and have no skills

Mantastic
    Free Member

Agree with being shite in the mud

ajantom

Cheers del 😛 Knew I’d made a mistake somewhere.

Burchy1
    Free Member

looks good Tom. You out on Wednesday so I can have a go?

AlexSimon

Looks great!
    I really love how the Maverick parts seem to get second or third lives.

Mine is still going strong on it’s first life, but who knows what it’ll end up as 🙂

singlespeedstu

Does your conversion stop the Maveric fork blowing it’s seals out and being “a bit shit” ? 😉

Krampi with a suss fork is a great idea but a shite fork is still a shite fork.
    The Lefty mod on a few days ago seemed a much better idea for 29+ with suss.

tazzymtb

Got a knard in a fox f29 with clearance on the sheep

Davesport

Philistine ! May the gods of rigid & all that is right & proper smite your head from it’s body for it never to return. Amen 😉

Nice job. That thing looks great.

singlespeedstu

Tazz.
    What rim?

tazzymtb

Stu velocity p35,don’t think a rabbit would clear it

singlespeedstu

Mmmm.

Not much use then. 😐

takisawa2

Op, nice work.

I tried Swinnertons demo Krampus & loved it.
    Very tempted, but it’s quite a weighty beast, was a large though. Very tempted to go for some P35’s for my SIR.9 & run a Knard up front & keep a 2.4 Ralph out back.
    Charliethebikemonger tried a Knard on a Rabbithole in a steel Niner fork like mine, & reckoned it fitted ok…

ajantom

Does your conversion stop the Maveric fork blowing it’s seals out and being “a bit shit” ?

Krampi with a suss fork is a great idea but a shite fork is still a shite fork.
    The Lefty mod on a few days ago seemed a much better idea for 29+ with suss.

Yup, I saw that. Was a nice job on the hefty-lefty.
    However, just the offset clamps he bought for $200 were the same price as the whole fork I got (including a wheel and a Chris King headset) I was trying to to do it a bit cheaper.
    So far the fork actually seems to ride pretty well, and the seals seem to not be blowing out.
    Time will tell!

ajantom

@Burchy1

looks good Tom. You out on Wednesday so I can have a go?

Not sure, a going to try and make it, but the beginning of term is a bit busy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Kramp'sus’ is closed to new replies.