Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Kona Raijin Ti 29er. What do you think?
  • haggis1978

i think its alright for a clown bike 😆 Was having issues getting it to fit me before hence it was for sale but pretty sure its a keeper now. Just looked too big but i think that was the wheels and my persistence that i should be riding 19″ konas instead if 20″. Only had a wee run round the park but it feels ok so far.

DSC04074 by Stew1978, on Flickr

DSC04075 by Stew1978, on Flickr

DSC04076 by Stew1978, on Flickr

DSC04077 by Stew1978, on Flickr

DSC04079 by Stew1978, on Flickr

DSC04081 by Stew1978, on Flickr

bol

Looks lush. In fact it’s a good job they’ve sold out.

Gotama
    Free Member

With an inside leg that length i can’t imagine a 20″ will be too small. Incidentally what’s with the vertical brake levers?

haggis1978

Not sure what happened with the brake levers there but it’s fixed now. Saw these frames and it was the first time I wanted to have a go at this 29er thing

rOcKeTdOg

The BB looks awfully low

haggis1978

Just measured it there and it’s 11.5/75″ of the deck roughly so pretty standard for a xc bike. Think it was just the way the bike was sat at the time

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Looks cracking (no pun), whats the tyre clearance like with the plate stay?

singlespeedstu

The BB looks awfully low

Compared to the seat and bar. 😆

Clink

How does it ride?

eyerideit
    Free Member

How’s the clearance for the back tyre?

haggis1978

Not had it out a proper ride but it’s going out tomorrow. Clearance is good with the plate but where I have the dropouts just now there’s not much chance of running a front mech cable down past there

bonesetter
    Free Member

Do keep us updated

nicko74

Gert lush. If only they did them in non-clown wheely sizes! 😉

oldfart

Got mine sorted properly now and have to say it goes like s*** of a shovel !If i was clever enough i could put some pics up ! 🙄
    Mine weighs 27lbs with a 2 x 10 set up which i don’t think is too shabby for a 29er .More “trail” than race but just how i like it .Don’t ask me to explain how or why it seems quicker i don’t get it either !

TiRed

If the geometry is the same as my Unit-29er, then you have my next SS. Looks lovely.

haggis1978

Had it out the other day to get it dirty and it was superb. Really fast as well. Probably not a good idea to take a SS out to a route that you’ve never done before if you’re not used to SSing but hey ho you live and learn lol nearly got caught out on a few bits of trail as I was going so fast 😈

haggis1978

What size is your OF? Mine is about 23.5lbs in a proper 20″ clown bike size. You’ll need to get some pics sorted. It’s easy if you use Flickr. Just upload to that and copy the bb code straight into the text box and away you go

bonesetter
    Free Member

Here’s mine. Going out for 1st ride soon…

bonesetter
    Free Member

1st ride shakedawn (well, 15 miler/2hr) – it’s bloody fast. I’m guessing it’s the weight or lack of that makes it so, but on a couple of occasions I felt the bike running away from me. It builds speed very easily and very quickly. Makes my other bikes seem like plodders by comparison

Other thing, very confidence inspiring. I thought it felt a little ‘steep’ angle wise first off, but no worries at all. Likes being ragged about etc. I know it all sounds like the regular stuff you hear, but this bike really is VERY fast

It has flex too which is what I was after. Standing side on on a pedal you can see a good deal of movement in the CS/BB which all translates to good compliancy, comfort, and more importantly the ability to change line mid bend flat out – something my other rigid resisted

I guess you could summerise as flattering, fast & fun

drofluf
    Free Member

Very nice, I’d be tempted if the consequences of buying another bike weren’t quite so severe.

mcboo
    Free Member

1st ride shakedawn (well, 15 miler/2hr) – it’s bloody fast. I’m guessing it’s the weight or lack of that makes it so, but on a couple of occasions I felt the bike running away from me

Very nice that is…..it’s not the weight, it’s those big wheels ironing out the bumps, simple as that. I’m quicker on mine generally but its on the bumpy downhills I’m significantly faster.

Other thing, very confidence inspiring. I thought it felt a little ‘steep’ angle wise first off, but no worries at all.

Yep I dont know what it is with 29er geometry, it all feels a lot more relaxing to ride, yet quicker.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Oh I come from a 29er background. This Kona has really surprised me though. It’s noticeably different than all the others, including a custom steel Wolfhound I have just switched from.

The fork has alot to answer for I’m sure. 550grms it’s super light and tracks brilliantly

haggis1978

Went hunting for your frame the bonesetter to see if there had been any progress and it looks as if there has 😉 looking very sweet I have to say. Is that a 19″?

mattjg
    Free Member

Want.

Where from?

haggis1978

Speak to your local kona dealer bud. There is a waiting list for next years bikes so you had better be quick 😉

haggis1978

Or you could buy mine as its in the classifieds section now?

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx, too big for me. What’s the sizing issue for you?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Nice – trying to decide on sizing for a Kona myself at the moment. Tried an 18″ which was too short… so it’s a 19″ or 20″. The latter is probably “more” right, but can’t help wondering if I should go for the 19 for a more chuckable frame. Being 6’2″ I probably should be going 20″ though.

Going for a 29er to be ridden around the Lakes.

FuzzyWuzzy

Seems a bit odd they do it in an 18, 19 and 20?

mattjg
    Free Member

Seems a bit odd they do it in an 18, 19 and 20?

Not necessarily, I have a 10 year old Kula and that was available in about 6 sizes, maybe more. Part of Kona’s USP I guess.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Kona Raijin Ti 29er. What do you think?’ is closed to new replies.